• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Anyone here get the new Fox Brother or Harris Tweed sport coats yet? Would love to see some fit picks and get your thoughts.

I’m clicking refresh a few times a day on the SM homepage in hopes of the other Harris Tweed jacket and the B&W check from Abraham Moon dropping.

Yes - this one arrived in the mail last Friday. For reference, I live in the Southern US.

Fox Brothers - Brown Prince of Wales Check - Neo Cut - Full Canvas | SPIER & MACKAY (spierandmackay.com)

Taking it to the tailor tomorrow to get the sleeves shortened. As with many Spier photos, it's not totally color accurate. The brown isn't quite as rich as it appears in their stock photo, and is a bit more muted. It's still a really beautiful jacket, though, with lots of depth and character. Really looking forward to wearing it for the upcoming cooler days. It fits like any other Spier Neo2. However, I will say that the heavier fabric gives it a cleaner drape without the characteristic stiffness that comes with tweed.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
I commented on his suit in good faith, and in the end his response was to throw passive aggressive insults and obnoxiously exaggerate and misrepresent my position. You and I clearly have different interpretations of "abrasive".

Of course, the classic "no u". You really got me there.

Critiquing a fit pic doesn't mean I think it looks bad. Can we please stop thinking in binary extremes? He looks good. Better than at least 90 % of guys out there.

Your point here is essentially just a cheap version of a courtier's reply fallacy. My clothing don't change the merits of my arguments in any way whatsoever. I could be wearing trash bags every day and it would have no bearing on whether his suit would look better with a different buttoning point or not.

I'll indulge you, though. I've literally never taken a fit pic before, so they're absolutely terrible since taking fit pics is an artform in itself (and we have plenty of guys around here who does it brilliantly - and dress way better than me to boot). Since this discussion was supposed to be about Spier's MTO service, I'll show off the first MTO jacket I ordered from Spier years ago (along with some of their RTW high twist trousers and a lightweight OCBD):

View attachment 1839358

It's definitely not perfect by any means. The sleeves are a touch long, the shoulders could have been a touch wider and it's probably time to nip the waist a bit as well. I was pretty happy with it for a first attempt, though. I would have liked the buttoning point to be about an inch lower, but since this is MTO and not MTM or bespoke I was forced to choose between the right jacket length and a lower buttoning point. Still, S&M's MTO service remains the best option I've found at this price point despite some unfortunate inconsistencies in subsequent orders.

Here's a couple shots of another one of my jackets (again with Spier trousers and shirt) to give a better idea of how my fits tend to look:

View attachment 1839362 View attachment 1839363

All good points!

Looks like you have a slightly dropped right shoulder (so do I), which does not appear to have been adjusted for with the grey jacket. The blue jacket looks like that was taken into account a bit better...maybe a slight tweak still required there!

JTrent82

Reaction score
My merino polos clearly say dry-clean only... does anyone actually dry clean their polo shirts? 🧐

I ran them through the delicate cycle with Woolite and they came out fine, but now I'm troubled.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Yes - this one arrived in the mail last Friday. For reference, I live in the Southern US.

Fox Brothers - Brown Prince of Wales Check - Neo Cut - Full Canvas | SPIER & MACKAY (spierandmackay.com)

Taking it to the tailor tomorrow to get the sleeves shortened. As with many Spier photos, it's not totally color accurate. The brown isn't quite as rich as it appears in their stock photo, and is a bit more muted. It's still a really beautiful jacket, though, with lots of depth and character. Really looking forward to wearing it for the upcoming cooler days. It fits like any other Spier Neo2. However, I will say that the heavier fabric gives it a cleaner drape without the characteristic stiffness that comes with tweed.
How's the pattern matching on that overcheck? I've found SM to be really hit or miss with their pattern matching. My Rust Check MTO was kind of all over the place.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life Is Short, I Would Rather See What You Guyz Are Wearing!

Cig3.jpg

Cig5.jpg

Cig.jpg

Cam2.jpg

Cam1.jpg

The Footwork...

Imperatores

Reaction score
All good points!

Looks like you have a slightly dropped right shoulder (so do I), which does not appear to have been adjusted for with the grey jacket. The blue jacket looks like that was taken into account a bit better...maybe a slight tweak still required there!

It's not really a dropped shoulder as such, but more of a slight asymmetry throughout my torso stemming from my lower back. My whole ribcage is ever so slightly twisted to one side and one shoulder is a bit more forward than the other. It doesn't tend to show up all that much in my clothing, but that lighter weight brown WSL blend is a little more sensitive to that sort of thing than the heavier tweed in the navy jacket. The navy jacket hasn't been adjusted in any way to account for it.

Actually, it's kind of interesting to me that Spier's pattern seems particularly sensitive to that issue in lighter weight fabrics compared to most other brands and patterns I've tried. It doesn't show up at all with jackets from say Cavour or SuSu regardless of fabric weight (although they can have other issues that makes me prefer S&M despite that), but Spier can be hit or miss.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
It's not really a dropped shoulder as such, but more of a slight asymmetry throughout my torso stemming from my lower back. My whole ribcage is ever so slightly twisted to one side and one shoulder is a bit more forward than the other. It doesn't tend to show up all that much in my clothing, but that lighter weight brown WSL blend is a little more sensitive to that sort of thing than the heavier tweed in the navy jacket. The navy jacket hasn't been adjusted in any way to account for it.

Actually, it's kind of interesting to me that Spier's pattern seems particularly sensitive to that issue in lighter weight fabrics compared to most other brands and patterns I've tried. It doesn't show up at all with jackets from say Cavour or SuSu regardless of fabric weight (although they can have other issues that makes me prefer S&M despite that), but Spier can be hit or miss.

Ahhh - yes, I'm sure the type of fabric can play a big part in that!

I'm just tuned into my own issue at the moment because I was at my alterations tailor on Saturday with a new S&M suit, and he measured a 3/4 inch difference needed in the sleeve length to account for my shoulder drop. Should look nice and balanced (I hope) when he is done.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Ahhh - yes, I'm sure the type of fabric can play a big part in that!

I'm just tuned into my own issue at the moment because I was at my alterations tailor on Saturday with a new S&M suit, and he measured a 3/4 inch difference needed in the sleeve length to account for my shoulder drop. Should look nice and balanced (I hope) when he is done.

Wow, that's quite a lot. Are your sure it's not just a difference in arm length as well? I remember seeing a couple of your fit pics in the HOF thread, and you didn't have the kind of issues at the chest and armhole I would've expected with such a substantial shoulder drop. The difference in sleeve length on my jackets is either non-existent or negligible (<0,5cm).

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a lot. Are your sure it's not just a difference in arm length as well? I remember seeing a couple of your fit pics in the HOF thread, and you didn't have the kind of issues at the chest and armhole I would've expected with such a substantial shoulder drop. The difference in sleeve length on my jackets is either non-existent or negligible (>0,5cm).

Good question - I should check that. But you are right that the only place this seems to show itself or cause any issue is at the end of the sleeve...with length. Shoulders and chest seem to fit and look pretty good with RTW stuff that is sized right for me.

jclonin7

Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of the denim chore coat and how the fit is?

I just received mine after returning the 44. I wear a 44 jacket but I suggest sizing up to get the length and fit right on the washed jacket. It’s actually very nice and the collar is great.

Attachments

• DCFF5003-A95B-436B-9D8A-7D8E0CB613C3.jpeg
    DCFF5003-A95B-436B-9D8A-7D8E0CB613C3.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 114
  • C8FADA22-A97E-4806-B3F0-FC13C90F7DB1.jpeg
    C8FADA22-A97E-4806-B3F0-FC13C90F7DB1.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 132
  • EFAFDFDF-90A4-43A7-BF00-A59336D4E828.jpeg
    EFAFDFDF-90A4-43A7-BF00-A59336D4E828.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 122

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some good news to me, Rick confirmed to me spread collar long sleeve polos would be making a comeback this FW and are on the way! 😬

Andmoreagain

Reaction score

have any pictures of the fabric/coat you could share?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My merino polos clearly say dry-clean only... does anyone actually dry clean their polo shirts? 🧐

I ran them through the delicate cycle with Woolite and they came out fine, but now I'm troubled.

I have one of last year's merino polos and I have only ever had it dry cleaned.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Spier. This is the E. Thomas wool/cashmere navy blazer. The fabric wears almost like a sweater, but still has decent drape. View attachment 1839481
View attachment 1839480
How do you find the durability of it? It's obviously light. I've not put mine through its paces at all yet, but it does feel gorgeous to wear.
Was very bummed my sale pickup (the summery equivalent, I think the WSLC blend?) was found OOS post-purchase, so won't be getting my mitts on that one.

tgaith77

Reaction score
From a CS standpoint, what are returns/ refunds like with Spier right now? I requested a return the other day and got an automated reply that because of staffing shortages, there is a delay in response time. Meanwhile, I'm getting daily marketing emails for sales and new products to purchase. I realize its all automated, but it seems...imbalanced.

Not a big deal at this point, but I'm maybe just mentally preparing for a less-than-ideal customer service interaction here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads