• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 buttons with a lowish stance and a shawl collar would be a bit unusual but very wearable. This thing looks like what you'd get if you asked someone who didn't know much about tailoring to draw from memory using a crayon what a double breasted jacket looks like. The rounded front quarter is just the *chef's kiss* on what was already a total waste of energy and raw materials. Designers from actual fast fashion brands that turn the blood of children and endangered animals into polyester trash and CO2 are probably looking and going, "Uh...yea no......and also, ewww what the ****....."

I know we're generally against fast fashion here but here me out: let's try a thing called even faster fashion where we just all chip in the funds, stack all the codes we can cobble together, buy the entire stock from the warehouse, and dump them straight into the ocean. We can probably write it off as a tax deduction, even. For the greater good of humanity.

Keep This Up, And I'll Be Able To Get This For $50, Maybe (2) Then I Can Change The Buttons (horn) On 1... :crackup:

sfny

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything written here yet about di fabio's "super comfort" hopsack fabric listed in the made-to-order sportcoat section. Despite concerns about the "stetch" in the fabric, I placed an order a few months back and just received the blazer. The fabric turns out to be wonderful. It feels light, but substantial enough to drape nicely. It is not unusually stretchy (which I feared), just comfortable. The color reads as a nice navy (not the darkest of navies, but clearly a navy). I'm very pleased, and I'd recommend the fabric to others looking for a nice navy jacket that can be worn year round (at least in SF) and could be worn casually or for work.

Blondie87

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything written here yet about di fabio's "super comfort" hopsack fabric listed in the made-to-order sportcoat section. Despite concerns about the "stetch" in the fabric, I placed an order a few months back and just received the blazer. The fabric turns out to be wonderful. It feels light, but substantial enough to drape nicely. It is not unusually stretchy (which I feared), just comfortable. The color reads as a nice navy (not the darkest of navies, but clearly a navy). I'm very pleased, and I'd recommend the fabric to others looking for a nice navy jacket that can be worn year round (at least in SF) and could be worn casually or for work.

Do you mind posting some pics of it in real life?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why the shorts disappeared from website?? Figured they would be a part of the summer sale

Imperatores

Reaction score
4 buttons with a lowish stance and a shawl collar would be a bit unusual but very wearable. This thing looks like what you'd get if you asked someone who didn't know much about tailoring to draw from memory using a crayon what a double breasted jacket looks like. The rounded front quarter is just the *chef's kiss* on what was already a total waste of energy and raw materials. Designers from actual fast fashion brands that turn the blood of children and endangered animals into polyester trash and CO2 are probably looking and going, "Uh...yea no......and also, ewww what the ****....."

I know we're generally against fast fashion here but here me out: let's try a thing called even faster fashion where we just all chip in the funds, stack all the codes we can cobble together, buy the entire stock from the warehouse, and dump them straight into the ocean. We can probably write it off as a tax deduction, even. For the greater good of humanity.

I'm with you, mate. I feel like the ocean should have plenty of space for those equally hideous zip down vests as well. If anyone in this thread has actually bought one of those things, I want you to sit in the corner for a week and think about what you've done.

Nitrogen

Reaction score
Looks like MTO ordered now have a delivery date towards the end of December. Makes sense, since I've been waiting over 2 months for my previous MTO orders which still haven't arrived. I wish I had the opportunity to order fall/winter suits/jackets, but I'm leaving NYC in December and it may not be feasible to order S&M to Finland (with taxes and customs duties) :freeze:

JTrent82

Reaction score
Looks like MTO ordered now have a delivery date towards the end of December. Makes sense, since I've been waiting over 2 months for my previous MTO orders which still haven't arrived. I wish I had the opportunity to order fall/winter suits/jackets, but I'm leaving NYC in December and it may not be feasible to order S&M to Finland (with taxes and customs duties) :freeze:
They may as well not even update with FW fabrics at this point.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
does anyone know if we're expecting the full-canvas mto promotion anytime soon? I know it's mto season for shoes (Carmina and TLB are having mto promotions) but can't remember the schedule S&M works with.

sfny

Reaction score
Do you mind posting some pics of it in real life?

Here are a couple of quick pictures of the jacket hanging. I'm not sure the color is entirely accurate -- it's a richer navy in real life, with a nice subtle sheen to it. I like the color a lot. I'm also including a close up of the fabric. I was expecting a chunkier hopsack, but the weave of the jacket is pretty tight, which I prefer (and allows it to be used for more formal events too). As an aside, the color on the close-up is entirely off -- much too light and muted.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 146

Andmoreagain

Reaction score
Got the di pray green birdseye - beautiful shade of moss green with some definite grays in there. Definitely not as bright as the website photos suggest. Great fabric and an instant favorite.

Attachments

• CAD5C6AF-7707-4183-B663-A0E8B7EC8323.jpeg
    CAD5C6AF-7707-4183-B663-A0E8B7EC8323.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 77D9DCD5-E5BA-4AA7-8440-F2B3E8002A7B.jpeg
    77D9DCD5-E5BA-4AA7-8440-F2B3E8002A7B.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 200

Jlee80

Reaction score
They may as well not even update with FW fabrics at this point.
I’ve become pretty disappointed with the MTO program. I found a local guy to me who is starting out his own thing. Just got my first suit from him. Pretty happy to be honest

Attachments

• DF197744-4299-4424-A7F6-055DF4910414.jpeg
    DF197744-4299-4424-A7F6-055DF4910414.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 183
  • 18F24396-B386-45A9-870A-6E64B66BF362.jpeg
    18F24396-B386-45A9-870A-6E64B66BF362.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 169

Imperatores

Reaction score
I’ve become pretty disappointed with the MTO program. I found a local guy to me who is starting out his own thing. Just got my first suit from him. Pretty happy to be honest

What were your expectations and/or reason for disappointment? Unless their cuts fit you pretty well OTR to begin with, an online MTO service won't be able to work miracles. MTO works very well for minor stuff like sleeve and jacket length, shoulder width and waist adjustments. Not much else really. Not quite fair to compare an online MTO service to what I'm assuming is an in-person MTM service.

I think the suit in your pics looks reasonably good, although it has some issues that would bother me personally. The buttoning point and trouser height especially. Not a fan of some of the style details either, but obviously that's very subjective.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
What were your expectations and/or reason for disappointment? Unless their cuts fit you pretty well OTR to begin with, an online MTO service won't be able to work miracles. MTO works very well for minor stuff like sleeve and jacket length, shoulder width and waist adjustments. Not much else really. Not quite fair to compare an online MTO service to what I'm assuming is an in-person MTM service.

I think the suit in your pics looks reasonably good, although it has some issues that would bother me personally. The buttoning point and trouser height especially. Not a fan of some of the style details either, but obviously that's very subjective.
It’s actually pretty fair to compare since I’ve had Spier MTO suits so I have an idea what I’m talking about.

I don’t expect everyone to like the “fit” of MY SUIT. That’s why it’s mine. Just as I don’t like the fit of some of the fits I see here with pleats, cuffs, oversized jackets, old man looks.That’s why we are all individuals with our own tastes.

Imperatores

Reaction score
It’s actually pretty fair to compare since I’ve had Spier MTO suits so I have an idea what I’m talking about.

I don’t expect everyone to like the “fit” of MY SUIT. That’s why it’s mine. Just as I don’t like the fit of some of the fits I see here with pleats, cuffs, oversized jackets, old man looks.That’s why we are all individuals with our own tastes.

I think you misunderstood my point about the unfair comparison. I was saying that you can't compare online MTO to in-person MTM as they're quite different things. You can customize the fit far more with MTM than MTO, at (usually) greater cost. Things like quality and consistency are obviously fair to compare, depending on their respective price points. It wasn't clear if your disappointment was due to fit or other aspects. Hence my question, which you didn't really answer.

Things like cuffs and pleats don't have anything to do with fit obviously. They're style details. Like I said, style details are indeed highly subjective. I mentioned the high buttoning point and the low trouser rise because they significantly impact your overall silhouette and makes you look shorter and stockier than you probably are. The jacket doesn't seem to drape very cleanly over your chest either, but it's hard to be sure from just a couple of head-on shots with the jacket unbuttoned.

Not sure what the purpose of posting boring platitudes about "individual tastes" is, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads