• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hysteria

Reaction score
Looking for some objective input.
Really want something that very closely matches the donegal taupe sportcoat worn by Simon here.

I'm wondering if this SM is close. Not sure if I "want it" to be close or if it really is close lol.

Donegal Simon - 1.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried or had a look up close at the DiPray Navy cashmere fabric SM is featuring now for MTO sport coats? Thinking about that one for a cold weather navy DB
tia

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really want something that very closely matches the donegal taupe sportcoat worn by Simon here.

I'm wondering if this SM is close. Not sure if I "want it" to be close or if it really is close lol.

caveat: I haven’t seen the S&M jacket in person and of course have not seen Simon’s in person either. But just based on the photos, I’d say that Simon’s jacket is cooler/more grey and the S&M jacket is warmer/more orange. It’s fairly significant to me in terms of the outfits they’d work best in.

blewnote1

Reaction score
caveat: I haven’t seen the S&M jacket in person and of course have not seen Simon’s in person either. But just based on the photos, I’d say that Simon’s jacket is cooler/more grey and the S&M jacket is warmer/more orange. It’s fairly significant to me in terms of the outfits they’d work best in.

I agree with this, but also will say that for fabrics like this it really makes a difference seeing it in person. I bought a PRL tweed jacket off eBay last week while browsing for a brown fall jacket (I'd seen the new ones from Spier drop, but my wallet hasn't recovered from my summer purchases yet) and even after asking for additional pictures from the seller it looked slightly different than I was expecting. In pictures it looked dark brown with noticeable reddish stripes, in person it's more of a cross between taupe/moss green and dark brown Donegal with one thread wide stripes of blue and orange that can only be seen up close.

It has nice details like flapped patch pockets and a storm tab/throat latch thing, and I ended up keeping it, but it wasn't the rich brown color I was looking for.

Anyway, I know it sucks having to send something back if it's not what you want, but I think the nuanced shades of color are sometimes hard to see until you have the piece in hand.

JTrent82

Reaction score

View attachment 1836911
I've been looking for something similar ever since I first saw this shoot. I'm considering having something made up in the Moon lambswool taupe here: https://www.moons.co.uk/product/taupe-5/

edit: Or one of the Shetland offerings here https://www.moons.co.uk/product/vintage-grey-2/ ; https://www.moons.co.uk/product/light-grey-7/

Still mulling it over.

Last edited:

JayDee90

Reaction score

View attachment 1836911
The moon donegal that S&M used (from 2017?) would be a good option given it was relatively cold and around the same shade, perhaps slightly lighter/ dustier?

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s uniform. All SM. Linen and wool Neo sportcoat. Italian collar BD shirt (can never get enough of these). Grey Minnis fresco trews (a perfect odd trouser for SoCal, of which I own multiples). Belgians.
64C9E34A-CAA3-4F6E-9232-2C63AEB96F57.jpeg

8AF8D058-142C-40ED-B546-A5CB433F83BE.jpeg

AD19532F-619F-41D0-B4EE-92E718706CE2.jpeg

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1836911

That looks like the Rubinacci donegal - here's a comparisson under 'studio' light.

1664297967152.png

1664298037131.png

The moon donegal that S&M used (from 2017?) would be a good option given it was relatively cold and around the same shade, perhaps slightly lighter/ dustier?

The Moon oatmeal looks nothing like this, completely different shade/colour.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads