• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the love of clothes… 4Real...

Sharp, Well Done Young Man! Would Love To See More Of That (Skullwarp) Fedora! :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:
Much appreciated, good sir! I need to broaden my hat range beyond summer Panamas, and get into winter and fall dress hats.

JTrent82

Reaction score
I have thoughts on the sweater polos. The weave is pretty loose, and I live in constant fear of getting them snagged. I wish they were an inch or two longer- if they shrink even a little bit in the wash I don't think I can wear them. I wish the placket was just a half inch longer- it ends just barely before the cardigan interrupts it. Despite these issues, I love them. The colorways they selected are versatile. The collar spread is beautiful and tucks neatly under layers. They're soft and super comfy and I'm about to order a couple more.

cr2596

Reaction score
Hmm, generally things like the occasional food stain, pen marks, and dirt.

Ok, so maybe not that dirty, nor is dry cleaning that expensive.

After thinking over whatever BS I put up there, I realized I'm mainly just anxiously avoiding wearing tailoring when there is any possibility of not keeping the garment pristine.

Looking at my closet, it's all slubby textured or highly patterned sports coats. Alright, I'll give this a shot this week. I appreciate the reality check dudes.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up man, and they have matching pants to make the full suit!
A lot of menswear talking heads tend to put pressure on the investment that can be clothing garments and their expected longevity. Then, you got the folks who think you shouldn’t put your hands, much less your keys, in your jacket pockets to keep things minty. F all that. I wear my clothes hard.

I appreciate your self reflection. Post some fits, when you break em out.

Reaction score
Does anyone else have pretty terrible experiences with S&M's customer service? I've been a customer for +/- 2 years and have had to reach out a number of times to them with regards to quality control issues, and the vast majority of the times they're not particularly helpful. Curious to see if this is just me.

mundieTRAINS

Reaction score
I understand and appreciate the sentiment of not wanting to be concerned about your clothes while wearing. Me either. I've adjusted over the last few years to address this. Most of my tailoring is relatively casual by nature, due to fabric choices and the way I wear them. Wrinkles of linen, seersucker, and hopsack, not only help casualize but hide small stains. Melange fabrics/Donegals/patterns also hide stains.

Also, who cares about damaging the fabric of a jacket you're never going to wear, out of fear of damaging the fabric?

You're in Canada? If you're dealing with snow/slush, I'll give you the pants. But, the jacket, wear what you have and don't worry about it. That's what the outer layer is for in the elements.

this. I travel all the time for work and have learned my lesson the hard way.

Spier is good for nearby disposable long sleeve polos which are dressy enough for under a blazer but comfortable enough for all day in and out of airplanes and heat to AC to heat etc

cotton blazers, typically from LBM 1911

pants by Outlier. Worse case scenario I can wash them in the hotel bathtub or sink and they’re dry by the morning. I have worn the same 2 pairs of grey Outlier pants on the road for 2 years now without issue

tmckay2

Reaction score
Does anyone else have pretty terrible experiences with S&M's customer service? I've been a customer for +/- 2 years and have had to reach out a number of times to them with regards to quality control issues, and the vast majority of the times they're not particularly helpful. Curious to see if this is just me.

Personally I have always had good experiences with their customer service, albeit rather difficult to get ahold of them. But once I'm able to connect they've always been friendly, understanding and helpful. It's also tough running a business though, especially if the margins are tight. Lots of people I'm sure contact them to help with issues that are entirely of the customers own doing (not you but you know the type I mean).

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re-stock on the shetlands
Damn, I would have just exchanged my sweater for an XS if I knew a restock was coming. Strangely, I didn't get the back in stock notification email yet. Guess it will be a return and re-order scenario.

JTrent82

Reaction score
It's not just you.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
this. I travel all the time for work and have learned my lesson the hard way.

Spier is good for nearby disposable long sleeve polos which are dressy enough for under a blazer but comfortable enough for all day in and out of airplanes and heat to AC to heat etc

cotton blazers, typically from LBM 1911

pants by Outlier. Worse case scenario I can wash them in the hotel bathtub or sink and they’re dry by the morning. I have worn the same 2 pairs of grey Outlier pants on the road for 2 years now without issue

Just to clarify, are you saying you only buy these clothes you can wear hard - or are you saying that you travel in these clothes to allow you to keep higher-end clothes to wear at home when you are not travelling?

For me personally, it is more the latter of these scenarios. I have clothes that are less expensive (S&M, brands bought at Saks Off 5th like Zegna) that I can travel in, wear to wine tastings, weddings, etc. Then I have some more expensive pieces (like Cesare Attolini) that I certainly wear, but I choose occasions that are likely to be pretty civilized (ie. no drinks being spilled on me, no expected excessive wear). It all gets worn and appreciated...just a choice of where.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of menswear talking heads tend to put pressure on the investment that can be clothing garments and their expected longevity. Then, you got the folks who think you shouldn’t put your hands, much less your keys, in your jacket pockets to keep things minty. F all that. I wear my clothes hard.

I appreciate your self reflection. Post some fits, when you break em out.
Sure, why not. This is what I wore today. Poor quality photo though. All S&M minus the boots.

20220926-174544-2.jpg

Nitrogen

Reaction score

I haven't had any issues with quality control, but I've tried to get information regarding OTR/MTO sizing (the charts are messy, and sometimes inaccurate), but gave up after a number of emails and little progress despite promises to get back to me. They essentially lost a custom jacket order from me, and I've been more patient than the average customer I'd say. On the other hand, the MTO customer service has been very good when/if you get a hold of them.

It appears like even they don't know the sizing on some of their articles, and the sizing's change, yet there is no information available to the customer. This makes ordering quite difficult. For instance, I have to order OTR sizes to get a general idea what to go for in MTO and to get a starting point for the MTO template. But when I have tried a size, and sent it back, and I go to select a MTO size I may find that the same size on MTO has different baseline measurements than the sizing table on the OTR piece. It is all very confusing and makes me not want to make mistakes that may cost me up to 1000 USD for an improper fit.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with quality control, but I've tried to get information regarding OTR/MTO sizing (the charts are messy, and sometimes inaccurate), but gave up after a number of emails and little progress despite promises to get back to me. They essentially lost a custom jacket order from me, and I've been more patient than the average customer I'd say. On the other hand, the MTO customer service has been very good when/if you get a hold of them.

It appears like even they don't know the sizing on some of their articles, and the sizing's change, yet there is no information available to the customer. This makes ordering quite difficult. For instance, I have to order OTR sizes to get a general idea what to go for in MTO and to get a starting point for the MTO template. But when I have tried a size, and sent it back, and I go to select a MTO size I may find that the same size on MTO has different baseline measurements than the sizing table on the OTR piece. It is all very confusing and makes me not want to make mistakes that may cost me up to 1000 USD for an improper fit.

FYI: I got in touch with their MTO team last week - the size charts are the "correct" measurements (at least for the high rise contemporary trousers). When in doubt, go with the size charts or measure well fitting clothing that you already own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads