• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
So got the Shetland Sweater... Oh boy if you were looking for a scratchy wool sweater this one is it!

From what I last remember, the description said it was Merino Wool, but has since been updated with 100% Shetland Wool. It is as scratchy as a normal wool sweater is, almost like a tweed. Very warm however.

It also seems like they updated the size chart since I ordered, which I am a bit annoyed at. It used to have the normal 'sweater' size chart. It fits like the cable knits, so I need an XS which is OOS unfortunately.

The heathered brown looks great, a bunch of green, red, brown, beige, etc. fibers intertwined. Can't get a picture accurate enough to the colours.

So back it goes; Just wish it fit lol
This was the cheaper Shetlands? If they're tweedy and warm I wonder how the more expensive chunky Shetlands feel.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the $98CDN ones that released earlier this season. The chunky shetlands probably is for up north if this one is this warm and scratchy lol

I Don't Like (sweaters) Scratchy! 🤢

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
How long are the sleeves? I'm wearing 40L contemporary so I need longer sleeves
1664023709271.png

excuse the Christmas mess from last year photo. I wear a contemporary 16.5, sleeve 36). You can let the sleeve out on here as well if you need to.

tmckay2

Reaction score
I'm finding after getting more consistent with working out that I am now between a slim and contemporary suit jacket. Both "fit" but to dial it in perfect I either need to take the contemporary in slightly or let the slim out slightly. Anyone have experience as to the better (and maybe cheaper) way to go? The other issue is the slim pants fit better so if I roll contemporary I have to mix and match the suit.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d always opt for taking in slightly. Cost wise is tailor dependent, but I have to assume you’re looking at roughly equal costs for both alternations.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else interested in casual wash and wear suits? I think they'd be perfect in an Ivy cut.

Brooks Brothers used to do this in some decades past in poplin/poly blends, and Drake's sort of does this with their Games' suit (not sure if it's washable though).

S&M has tried this once or twice in the past, but didn't try it again. I do recall there was some cut issues.
Bump. I find I wear tailoring less and less unless I can toss it into a wash.

wit

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new customer to Spier and Mackay and am interested in their custom shirt program.

* Is it possible to use a referral code after I've already signed up? Does anyone have a code that I can use after already signing up?
* If not, I read somewhere that there is a 15% discount if three or more shirts are ordered? How can I do that?
* Can I request darts in the back?
* Can Spier account for a dropped right shoulder?

Last edited:

cr2596

Reaction score
It also seems like they updated the size chart since I ordered, which I am a bit annoyed at. It used to have the normal 'sweater' size chart. It fits like the cable knits, so I need an XS which is OOS unfortunately.
They got to quit doing this. I don’t understand how this keeps happening, it has to be SOP, at this point. I was fortunate that my size still existed. Sorry yours was gone. That sucks.
Bump. I find I wear tailoring less and less unless I can toss it into a wash.
Negative here, ghost rider.

How often do you need to wash your tailoring? I find myself not dry cleaning jackets for a while.

Bacharini

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new customer to Spier and Mackay and am interested in their custom shirt program.

* Is it possible to use a referral code after I've already signed up? Does anyone have a code that I can use after already signing up?
* If not, I read somewhere that there is a 15% discount if three or more shirts are ordered? How can I do that?
* Can I request darts in the back?
* Can Spier account for a dropped right shoulder?
I think you can still use a referral code as long as it's your first order. I was gonna post mine but can't seem to find it on the site anymore...

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They got to quit doing this. I don’t understand how this keeps happening, it has to be SOP, at this point. I was fortunate that my size still existed. Sorry yours was gone. That sucks.

Negative here, ghost rider.

How often do you need to wash your tailoring? I find myself not dry cleaning jackets for a while.
Never, because I rarely wear tailoring due to the cleaning costs.

Hence my post on wash and wear tailoring.

I like the idea of not being careful and precious when wearing my clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads