• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's with all the trolling?

I wonder what price point the shawl cardigans will be?

StuartTrappe

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've really enjoyed my Quest Cotton high rise, but have recently relocated to a much hotter climate with humidity frequently touching 100% and temps just below 90 deg F. I am now hoping to purchase a few pairs of trousers that are the absolute best for this climate. That is my only factor is performing well in a high heat environment, being breathable, and wicking away sweat. Should I just be looking at the lowest GSM options?

So far these look like my best option, but I'd love to hear if you think I should be looking at fresco, linen, hopsack, or some other blends. Thanks!

sydneycider

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've really enjoyed my Quest Cotton high rise, but have recently relocated to a much hotter climate with humidity frequently touching 100% and temps just below 90 deg F. I am now hoping to purchase a few pairs of trousers that are the absolute best for this climate. That is my only factor is performing well in a high heat environment, being breathable, and wicking away sweat. Should I just be looking at the lowest GSM options?

So far these look like my best option, but I'd love to hear if you think I should be looking at fresco, linen, hopsack, or some other blends. Thanks!
I actually have a question for you! How is the Quest cotton?

Can it hold a crease? Is it breathable? And will it expand a size like a pair of chinos?

sydneycider

Reaction score
I don't know either. But I won't be purchasing it this time around since it's a new item for the season. Learned my lesson with Spier. Never buy the first drop of things, hell sometimes even the second!
I really wish S&M would price their clothes a little higher to ensure proper quality control. I thought we were past that with the shrinking sleeves, but this seasons chinos have popping seams. It makes me not want to try new things :(

sid11111

Reaction score

Cotton/linen trousers are your best bet!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you double check? Would really appreciate it. Does it fit slim when you sized at XS, or do you have room to wear layered clothing underneath?
I will try to remember to look tomorrow, if I don’t get back to you remind me

blewnote1

Reaction score
Cotton/linen trousers are your best bet!

They're pretty good, but they wrinkle and require more maintenance than wool. My favorite trousers so far this summer have been the high twist ones from VBC. They're lightweight and breathable. The cotton-linen are also great, but my first pair is in cream and they seem to attract dirt and need frequent pressing.

I'm disappointed to hear the OP's comment about the Quest trousers as I just sent some to the tailor after buying to expand my summer trouser wardrobe.

I'd be curious to see how the low gsm tropical wool trousers perform, but I don't have any of those yet.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you double check? Would really appreciate it. Does it fit slim when you sized at XS, or do you have room to wear layered clothing underneath?
Just looked and I have an XS. It fits slim with some room to layer. Definitely don't want to wear thick tailor wear underneath, but I remember wearing a thicker sweater (S&M cable knit) with a shirt underneath and that was likely the most I would go. Want to wear 3+ layers I would likely size up. Was a bit restricting with a chunky cardigan, but doable. Otherwise I am happy with the fit and warmth (If I am shovelling for more than 10 mins I am sweating hard lol). Hope this helps

SteveMc

Reaction score
They're pretty good, but they wrinkle and require more maintenance than wool. My favorite trousers so far this summer have been the high twist ones from VBC. They're lightweight and breathable. The cotton-linen are also great, but my first pair is in cream and they seem to attract dirt and need frequent pressing.

I'm disappointed to hear the OP's comment about the Quest trousers as I just sent some to the tailor after buying to expand my summer trouser wardrobe.

I'd be curious to see how the low gsm tropical wool trousers perform, but I don't have any of those yet.

I second that.
I have the quest, linen/cotton, all linen, VBC fresco, and VBC high twist. The fresco and high twist are the best for really hot climate. The fabric is thin, breathable and doesn't wrinkle. The all linen are also good, but you'll have to iron them after each wear as you can imagine.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I've been getting some good use out of the di Sondrio cotton/linens from this and last year's offerings. I hang and brush them out after wear and I only need to iron/steam every few wears.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wearing my first SM suit: a tan solaro. It hugs my neck beautifully, back panels drape perfectly. It doesn't sit quite exact on the back of my neck but that could be because of my terrible posture. If I had commissioned this I'd maybe want the back cleaned a little but honestly that's probably just nitpicking.

Pictures, If possible!

sid11111

Reaction score

My personal take on most "tropical wools" are that they're no good. No drape and crinkle like paper.

My personal take on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads