• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The crewneck might be my favorite article of clothing ever
It's the thick neck/beefy traps that do me in. My physique has no business with a crewneck in any capacity. I almost 100% write off anything that comes in crewneck.

mbb355

Reaction score
Cardigans for the win.
Cardigans also great. I love a shawl cardigan in particular as an alternative to a blazer, and I'm warming to non-shawl cardigans, but only over a collared shirt. I don't like a non-shawl cardigan over a t-shirt. My scrawny neck feels too bare in that combo. But I love a crewneck because of the versatility: works over a t-shirt, over a collared shirt, under a jacket, with cable-knit, without, cotton for summer, lambswool or cashmere for winter, etc. etc.

sydneycider

Reaction score
The sack jacket is back in the previews! But now the important question is- which armholes does it have since it’s been in and out of limbo for so long?
Finally!

T H E S A C K

Has returned.

I'm wondering if this will be a true American sack or closer to a Florentine cut. I only know of The Armoury making RTW Florentine cut jackets, if S&M started it would be a great companion to the Neapolitan cut.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now which one of you is going to make a "Return of the Sack" tiktok?
Cause I knew it from the start
Baby when you broke my bank account
That I had to come again, and show you that I'm real

Return of the sack! (It is)
Retrn of the sack (doncha know!)

blewnote1

Reaction score
Don’t do any of truly. Comfort aside, the waistcoat as a stand-alone layering piece is hideous. I would even argue it’s a worse choice functionality wise than a jacket. Everything else sounds sub-optimal, as well.
1. Get linen (or linen blend) shirts. That or very airy cotton ones. Oxford weave is not going to do you any favors in staying cool.
2. Go for linen trews or High twist wool. Both are better than cotton.
3.Get an open weave jacket and nix the waistcoat. The inherently tighter nature of a waistcoat will feel far more restrictive than a jacket. You’re still going to be hot and not anything close to comfortable depending on your locale, but you’ll look far sharper, and arguably cooler, in a jacket.

Can only do so much with shoes to promote coolness. Loafers are probably the best choice, but it’s all negligible when it gets heinous outside

This. I'm in New Orleans and it's just a hot mess here from May through September. If you're doing any kind of walking about or activity outside, just forget about being "dressed up" and not being a fountain of sweat. If you're in air conditioning for the most part you can get away with standard cm for the most part, but it still makes sense to lean heavily on the warm weather friendly clothes he mentioned to make any time you're not in the AC as pleasant as possible.

I made a commitment last year to dressing well at work, which is easy in the cooler months but definitely a challenge in the summer here. My solution, after poring over the old Esquire fashion plates looking for inspiration, was to settle on "daytime resort wear," even if it was in the evening. Like EricEighty said, open weave unlined jackets in linen or w/l or w/s/l, linen shirts, cotton-linen trousers, high twist open weave trousers, and loafers with no show socks are all great ways to allow your body to breathe and regulate its temperature.

Also, skip the tie and embrace showing a little chest like the Italians do either with the first couple buttons of your shirt unbuttoned or go with short sleeve shirts, polos, or sweater polos (those johnny collars Spier released this year are awesome to wear under a jacket).

There have only been a couple of times where it was warm enough inside that I felt the need to doff my jacket and the few outdoor gigs I did I suffered through with a short sleeve button down and unlined linen jacket or just skipped the jacket and rocked a sweater polo and high twist or cotton-linen trousers in relative comfort.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally!

T H E S A C K

Has returned.

I'm wondering if this will be a true American sack or closer to a Florentine cut. I only know of The Armoury making RTW Florentine cut jackets, if S&M started it would be a great companion to the Neapolitan cut.
I love everything about the sack jacket, but that tiny chest pocket is insane. I'm not sure I can get over it. :confused2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads