• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commonbloke

Reaction score
While I also love this suit, I do have to point out that it was 35+ in Toronto (and swampy) which is pretty normal for Toronto summers...just in case others think that Canada is a frigid block of ice 24/7/365...

We went from a 40C heatwave on Saturday and Sunday to 15C today in Montreal.

Weird weather.

milktoast

Reaction score
While I also love this suit, I do have to point out that it was 35+ in Toronto (and swampy) which is pretty normal for Toronto summers...just in case others think that Canada is a frigid block of ice 24/7/365...
Can attest to this -- visited Toronto during the summer of 2019 and the weather for the week was comparable to any major east-coast U.S. city. Unfortunately, because I'm a glutton for punishment and a creature of habit, it was one of the many reasons I enjoyed my time there (and the Spier store too...though the one in Toronto proper is gone now). Nonetheless, fantastic city, only a block of ice 3/4 of the year.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Adding to the convo a few comments back about modifications to the Neo cut, S&M posted the reply below in IG comments when someone asked if they lowered the gorge on the upcoming F/W Neo jackets:

No [we did not lower the gorge since last season]. We flattened the lapel to have a less negative belly. Makes the lapel look fuller and optically a bit lower.

Personally, I think the new lapels shown on the IG teasers are an improvement. I have never bought a Neo jacket bc they always looked a little too boldly italian dandy for my taste (classic ivy/Tailor Caid type look is my personal ideal). I read one ivy enthusiast describe the styleforum italian menswear aesthetic (which the S&M neo cut plays to IMO) as making men "look like a flower." That comment really resonated with me (no hate on anyone's preferences, I'm just trying to define and articulate my own preferences). But, I think removing the belly on the lapel removes a lot of the curvy, swoopy flower petal feel.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding to the convo a few comments back about modifications to the Neo cut, S&M posted the reply below in IG comments when someone asked if they lowered the gorge on the upcoming F/W Neo jackets:

No [we did not lower the gorge since last season]. We flattened the lapel to have a less negative belly. Makes the lapel look fuller and optically a bit lower.

Personally, I think the new lapels shown on the IG teasers are an improvement. I have never bought a Neo jacket bc they always looked a little too boldly italian dandy for my taste (classic ivy/Tailor Caid type look is my personal ideal). I read one ivy enthusiast describe the styleforum italian menswear aesthetic (which the S&M neo cut plays to IMO) as making men "look like a flower." That comment really resonated with me (no hate on anyone's preferences, I'm just trying to define and articulate my own preferences). But, I think removing the belly on the lapel removes a lot of the curvy, swoopy flower petal feel.
Also three sleeve buttons instead of four for all SCs (and still four for suits).

I don't have a strong opinion about negative vs straight lapels as long as the gorge isn't raised. A optically lowered gorge is a positive in my book. I do however have a strong aversion against positive lapels.

JayDee90

Reaction score
Also three sleeve buttons instead of four for all SCs (and still four for suits).

I don't have a strong opinion about negative vs straight lapels as long as the gorge isn't raised. A optically lowered gorge is a positive in my book. I do however have a strong aversion against positive lapels.
If positive here is in reference to a positive belly then I too agree, not a fan. Specifically for single breast jackets.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If positive here is in reference to a positive belly than I too agree, not a fan. Specifically for single breast jackets.
Yes, it is. I usually refer to the matter at hand as convex, neutral and concave. But since negative was used initially I used positive as the opposite.

LongGoneDay

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I am planing on placing my first order for a custom shirt. The first question I've stumbled across is how I shall measure my arm length. When I watch the YouTube video I see that the measurement is down to half of the hand.

I am used to giving my measurement to where my arm ends and my back of my hand begins. How did you guys do?

Any other tips regarding my first order that I should take into consideration is very much appriciated. Thanks!

Imperatores

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I am planing on placing my first order for a custom shirt. The first question I've stumbled across is how I shall measure my arm length. When I watch the YouTube video I see that the measurement is down to half of the hand.

I am used to giving my measurement to where my arm ends and my back of my hand begins. How did you guys do?

Any other tips regarding my first order that I should take into consideration is very much appriciated. Thanks!

It can depend a little on what type of shirt you're getting and your own preferences. Dress shirts that are meant to be worn under a jacket typically have slightly longer sleeves (halfway down the hand) to avoid having them disappear up you jacket sleeve when moving around. On a more casual shirt you might want a slightly shorter sleeve for a cleaner look. I think the best way to do it is just to measure the sleeve on a shirt you're happy with. Measuring one of your own shirts is the way to go for online custom shirts in general, in my experience.

As a side note, I'd make sure to request a prewash of the fabric before cutting to help keep shrinkage to a minimum. Especially if you prefer a shorter sleeve. It's not very fun to end up with too short sleeves after a single wash.

Last edited:

LongGoneDay

Reaction score
It can depend a little on what type of shirt you're getting and your own preferences. Dress shirts that are meant to be worn under a jacket typically have slightly longer sleeves (halfway down the hand) to avoid having them disappear up you jacket sleeve when moving around. On a more casual shirt you might want a slightly shorter sleeve for a cleaner look. I think the best way to do it is just to measure the sleeve on a shirt you're happy with. Measuring one of your own shirts is the way to go for online custom shirts in general, in my experience.

As a side note, I'd make sure to request a prewash of the fabric before cutting to help keep shrinkage to a minimum. Especially if you prefer a shorter sleeve. It's not very fun to end up with too short sleeves after a single wash.
Thank you for the input. Good to know about the pre wash. :)

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Does anyone have pics in the wild of S & M's jeans? The reviews seem pretty good and I'm looking for something a bit of a higher rise and for whatever reason 501s don't fit me that well.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own this? Would love to see real life pics before I order it……
E40BC4B2-0784-43FB-8BC6-166C7CEAC960.png

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have these and are they lined at all?

$128 and or the $148 pair

Spier&Mackay-Sage Linen-JS-2809 (1)-550x550.jpg

marchello

Reaction score
Sondrio cotton-linen trousers - do these run big or small? I understand them have a +- 1/2" tolerance and would like to know whether these trousers tend to be on the + or - side.

Interested as well...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads