• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marchello

Reaction score
This is from a while back :) ... about 54 cm in the widest part

Since then, I've also tried 32. My conclusions:
High-rise dress pants - I take 30. The high-rise are cut a bit roomier, at least to my perception.
Regular rise dress pants, especially the fresco - I take 32. These seems to be cut smaller. Though I have a couple in 30 and they fit just the as good. Other then the waist, I find the differences to be very small
5-pocket- I take 31 if the size is offered. I tried 30. Much depends on tolerance. They can be tight in the waist, and unlike the dress trousers, there's no room to let out.
Denim - I took 31, should've taken the 30..

All contemporary fit (if it wasn't clear)
This is very helpful, thank you! I measure 56-57cm at the widest part of my thigh. Do you feel that you could fit in bigger thighs in your size 30 high rise trousers?

JTrent82

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the VBC charcoal high twist in the MTO suits? Its fabric code is 695401/4 but I can't find it in the VBC catalog. It's pretty cheap which makes me afraid that it's also pretty cheap in quality. It seems like what I may be looking for, though, which is a suit to wear to funerals I have to travel to.
1656648481824.png

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the full canvas upgrade can be applied to custom fabrics? I'd be really frustrated if the promotion expired while I was waiting on confirmation from CS.
It's applicable, yes. And the full canvas promo will run til July 6th.

jermyzy

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the VBC charcoal high twist in the MTO suits? Its fabric code is 695401/4 but I can't find it in the VBC catalog. It's pretty cheap which makes me afraid that it's also pretty cheap in quality. It seems like what I may be looking for, though, which is a suit to wear to funerals I have to travel to.

I don't own any black/dark gray suits either as I don't really like that colour. Sounds morbid, but I'm now looking for a cheap black/gray suit for possible funerals as well.

Jlee80

Reaction score
@DonRaphael do you know if S&M has changed the MTO factory or cut of the standard MTO suits?

reason I’m asking,In looking at my order from early January, the MTO suits are a bit roomier than that ones I have since ordered from mid-March on.. armholes on the mid-March ones-on seem a little higher (which I prefer) as well.

looking to place some MTO orders this weekend but wanted your feedback beforehand.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael do you know if S&M has changed the MTO factory or cut of the standard MTO suits?

reason I’m asking,In looking at my order from early January, the MTO suits are a bit roomier than that ones I have since ordered from mid-March on.. armholes on the mid-March ones-on seem a little higher (which I prefer) as well.

looking to place some MTO orders this weekend but wanted your feedback beforehand.
My understanding is that last the armhole was revised last FW (or thereabout) by raising it 2 cm. There has been some complaint regarding this and my understanding is that Spier aims to lower the armhole again by 1 cm from the revised 2 cm raise starting mid SS this season or the coming FW in all their RTW. So all in all, 1 cm higher than the original cut, but 1 cm lower than the revised/new cut from FW last season.

I'm also planning on placing a couple of MTO orders and am unsure what to do.

The revised armhole that was raised 2 cm doesn't fit me well. It's restricting. And in addition to that, I believe Spier messed up the breast pocket position when they revised the armhole. It sits to high imo.

The old cut fits me well. So I'm not entirely sure I want to place an MTO order with the third iteration armhole (1 cm) but would welcome a higher armhole if it's not restricting or messes up the position. Of the breast pocket.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
My understanding is that last the armhole was revised last FW by raising it 2 cm. There has been some complaint regarding this and the plan is, starting the coming FW, the armhole will be lowered 1 cm from the revised 2 cm. So all in all, 1 cm higher than the original cut, but 1 cm lower than the revised/new cut.

I'm also planning on placing a couple of MTO orders and am unsure what to do.

The revised armhole that was raised 2 cm don't fit me well. It's restricting. And in addition to that, I believe Spier messed up the breast pocket when they revised the armhole. The breast pocket sits to high imo.
View attachment 1808315

The old cut fits me well. So I'm not entirely sure I want to place an MTO order with the third iteration armhole (1 cm).
Ok. I wear just the regular contemporary fit jacket. I can say all my MTO stuff has fit pretty well.. just seems like my first three MTO suits seem roomier than the latest ones. My main thing is I just want consistency.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. I wear just the regular contemporary fit jacket. I can say all my MTO stuff has fit pretty well.. just seems like my first three MTO suits seem roomier than the latest ones. My main thing is I just want consistency.
Probably, your last suit was made with the 2 cm raised armhole. In addition, bear in mind that there's an allowance of 0,25" margin of error for all half measurements, meaning 0,5" in total. If they've used a smaller blueprint, you could've receive a jacket that is 0,5" smaller in each instance. This is normal (0,25" margin of error) with most brands, I should add.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the short and long sleeve polos? How did you size in them? I'm usually 40F in jackets and I'm considering size M.

Do you mean this?

I’m a 40 R slim jacket. 15/35 slim shirt. I went with a medium for the long sleeve polos. A little roomy in the chest and neck, but a better sleeve length for me. I would go small if I had shorter arms or wanted a slim fit.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean this?

I’m a 40 R slim jacket. 15/35 slim shirt. I went with a medium for the long sleeve polos. A little roomy in the chest and neck, but a better sleeve length for me. I would go small if I had shorter arms or wanted a slim fit.
Exactly. Thank you very much. I'm 40R 15,5 shirt. Could probably wear a 42R jacket as well. So M might do it for me. How's the length? Enough to tuck it in without it falling out during the day with high waist/rise trousers?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Thank you very much. I'm 40R 15,5 shirt. Could probably wear a 42R jacket as well. So M might do it for me. How's the length? Enough to tuck it in without it falling out during the day with high waist/rise trousers?
Yep, I always wear it tucked in. No issues.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score
I'm a 38S, but broad with a 16.5/33 slim shirt and the M fits well for me, if a big fitted after the first wash. These things shrink quite a bit. They will likely not stay tucked in.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 38S, but broad with a 16.5/33 slim shirt and the M fits well for me, if a big fitted after the first wash. These things shrink quite a bit. They will likely not stay tucked in.
Thanks for the response, appreciate it. I guess I'll have to air dry it then.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads