• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a sport coat made in the minis green glen check flannel (HMS-510029-MTO-J) has caught my eye and I'd love to see how it looks made up before pulling the trigger. View attachment 1807552
FYI, they'll offer this Fox Bros tweed this coming FW
large.jpg
TD31-DeepGreenPrinceofWalesCheck-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_1_1000x.jpg

Does S&M usually have more tweeds and heavier sportscoat fabrics available towards the winter? I'm looking for something like the Marling & Evans - Dark Brown Herringbone/S1592/15575/D5-MTO-J.

They do seasonal runs so, in short, yes. They will likely have some tweeds OTR. This was actually one that I was hoping to see FW22 as well..Or some version of a cool/cold brown herringbone tweed, i.e. less red undertone.
I had the same conditions as you when I commissioned my brown herringbone jacket. I can highly recommend this fabric https://www.moons.co.uk/product/dark-brown-mix-2/
IMG_20211014_081412_edit_685988918228136.jpg
IMG_20211014_082930.jpg

hysteria

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their cashmere sweaters? I've never tried it, but their merino has generally been solid. There are some cashmeres on finale sale, so just wanted to collect some feedback before pulling the trigger .

JTrent82

Reaction score
Thanks. No, but Spier can source any fabric from Abraham Moon. And Marling Evans. And Minnis. And a couple of more mills.
Is there an upcharge for unlisted fabrics or is the price of the order commensurate with the fabrics in their catalog?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there an upcharge for unlisted fabrics or is the price of the order commensurate with the fabrics in their catalog?
No specific up charge compared to the prices in their custom section. Not to be confused with the selections in their MTO section (under suits, sport costs etc). Those are usually in stock fabrics and thus are priced lower.

JTrent82

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with SM peacoat sizing? I wear 38R slim in sportcoats and the provided shoulder measurements for peacoats make me think maybe I should size down? 36 would give me the same shoulder as a 38R sportcoat with extra room in the chest and waist.

edit: I won't be wearing this over tailoring clearly.

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does S&M usually have more tweeds and heavier sportscoat fabrics available towards the winter? I'm looking for something like the Marling & Evans - Dark Brown Herringbone/S1592/15575/D5-MTO-J.

I believe I made this up last fall - it is great, just cut a bit shorter than what I would prefer.

Potatoe

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their cashmere sweaters? I've never tried it, but their merino has generally been solid. There are some cashmeres on finale sale, so just wanted to collect some feedback before pulling the trigger .
I have one, It's my favorite sweater.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with SM peacoat sizing? I wear 38R slim in sportcoats and the provided shoulder measurements for peacoats make me think maybe I should size down? 36 would give me the same shoulder as a 38R sportcoat with extra room in the chest and waist.

edit: I won't be wearing this over tailoring clearly.
I ordered a 42 which is my SC and suit size and returned it. Too tight everywhere. However exchanged for a 44 and fit well.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.
It does look like a nice colour from the pics - in fact, it's difficult to even say whether this is green or a grey, which makes it even more interesting. Would you be able to send some photos of it? MIght be helpful to see some non-studio photos to get a better sense of the colour. I'm intrigued.

As usual, barely any sizes left lol. Typical SM...

Here are some pics, sorry I don't have a full shot haven't quite figure out how to do that, but it may give some idea of how it looks. It's has a slightly darker green tinge in person but the tan/grey overtones are definitely there as shown.

Not sure what you mean about the sizes, almost all contemporary are in stock and most of the R sizes in slim as well. Also, this sportcoat has been up for months, I was eyeing it forever and finally pulled the trigger the last time it went on sale.

PXL_20220629_220805722.jpg
PXL_20220629_220852986.jpg
PXL_20220629_220753413.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads