• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
What size did you take, and what’s your SC size? I am gonna snag this, but I’ve not purchased a chore coat, prior. The size chart makes my 38 size seem huge.

I am a 36 slim sport coat and I took a XS chore coat. There’s definitely room for layering, which is what I prefer. If you like a more fitted look, you may want to size down.

cr2596

Reaction score
I am a 36 slim sport coat and I took a XS chore coat. There’s definitely room for layering, which is what I prefer. If you like a more fitted look, you may want to size down.
Thank you, I appreciate it. The shoulders look about perfect on you. I'll have to go with a S, then.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Kind of a weird question and maybe more appropriate for the watch thread but I thought I'd start here. I am not a watch guy but for most of my life I felt naked without one, and usually wore a cheapo quartz Seiko that my mom got me from Costco. Its battery died around the same time I got a smartphone in 2010, and I never put a watch back on after that. I want to get back into it though, both for convenience and to address my vanity, but I don't really know where to start.

The watch thread is kind of overwhelming, but I see here that a lot of you guys regularly feature watches that harmonize nicely with the SM lewks, which is pretty much all I wear these days, so was wondering if anyone could provide any recommendations for two, a nicer one that goes with tailoring, i.e. not a diver, sport watch etc. and a more casual sport one for t-shirts, polos, etc.? I'm not a watch guy so no need to get some >$1000 thing with big diminishing returns but since this mostly is a romantic impractical item, I would probably prefer something with equally impractical automatic movement and upkeep requirements. Thanks!

JTrent82

Reaction score
Kind of a weird question and maybe more appropriate for the watch thread but I thought I'd start here.
I just got the Seiko SRPG and I can't recommend it enough really. It's a great little field watch. I put it on a Barton khaki band and it matches all my casual outfits. If you're willing to spend a little more you can get the Hamilton Khaki, which I hear good things about.

zurich64

Reaction score
Kind of a weird question and maybe more appropriate for the watch thread but I thought I'd start here. I am not a watch guy but for most of my life I felt naked without one, and usually wore a cheapo quartz Seiko that my mom got me from Costco. Its battery died around the same time I got a smartphone in 2010, and I never put a watch back on after that. I want to get back into it though, both for convenience and to address my vanity, but I don't really know where to start.

The watch thread is kind of overwhelming, but I see here that a lot of you guys regularly feature watches that harmonize nicely with the SM lewks, which is pretty much all I wear these days, so was wondering if anyone could provide any recommendations for two, a nicer one that goes with tailoring, i.e. not a diver, sport watch etc. and a more casual sport one for t-shirts, polos, etc.? I'm not a watch guy so no need to get some >$1000 thing with big diminishing returns but since this mostly is a romantic impractical item, I would probably prefer something with equally impractical automatic movement and upkeep requirements. Thanks!

Decent mechanical watches for about 500.

jermyzy

Reaction score

Tissot Powermatic PRX 80

T137.407.11.041.00_R_1.png

sydneycider

Reaction score
I actually think things are a little bit better now than they used to be. I think Spier is getting a good idea of what sells and what doesn't and--even if they aren't necessarily stocking more sizes in a particular style/color combo--they're offering more variations of popular items. For instance, last year, I think they offered like 4 or 5 colors of the knit polos, and they ended up sold out in my size within about a week. This year, if you include the solid cottons, striped cottons, silk-cotton blends, etc., they probably offered 4-5 times the number of knit polos. On the other side, I've noticed that they seem to be increasingly offering suits/sport coats via MTO only presumably because their sale section has historically been dominated by unsold sport coats.

So yeah, it can be frustrating that things sell out. But it's just taught me to not wait for a sale on the things I really like. All of the staples, like OCBD's, denim shirts, etc., get restocked regularly anyway, so the lack of stock at any given time has never driven me into the arms of another retailer.
I have also noticed they're restocking certain items that sell really fast. Good stuff 👍 I think they're really honing their business.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Search for vintage items. Here are a couple of suggestions based on your preferences, some more modern and readily available and others that are vintage but are still available on the second hand market.

Seiko SARB065
Longines La Grande Classique (Automatic) L4.908.1
Omega De Ville 111.077
Omega De Ville Tank 111.016
Omega 111.022
Tissot Seastar Seven

The best place really is to start looking for vintage pieces. Search and develop an understanding of what you like stylistically (size, thickness, materials, dials, bezel model, colours, straps/bracelets etc), what works in your context and for your wrist size/circumference/thickness and your overall appearance.

For example, personally, I prefer small vintage watches in gold with leather straps. My dress watches are all size 32mm-36mm and I find the 36mm borderline too large. I also prefer them as slim as possible. These kind of watches are probably easiest to find as vintage on the second hand market. I also use a Longines 7111-2 with a mesh stainless steel bracelet as my "sports/casual watch" which for most people is too slim and too small. But that's the way I prefer them.

IMG_20220617_094645_edit_529846475867588.jpg
IMG_20220507_182106_edit_149200998814733.jpg
IMG_20220331_080001_edit_768606894836363.jpg
IMG_20220330_121536_edit_742316458225271.jpg
IMG_20220310_152921_edit_233249306267012.jpg
IMG_20211119_150816_edit_1835405793568374.jpg
IMG_20211117_163831_edit_1786723442267469.jpg
RDT_20220628_1308328888402272289102397.png
lot.jpeg

Last edited:

blewnote1

Reaction score
Wow way to hijack a thread that S&M spent money on.

This always gets brought up whenever anyone strays from the S & M product, but it seems unnecessary. No one is forgetting or ignoring what the primary purpose of this thread is, but as Stuffedsuperspud says he sees a lot of guys whose taste he likes because they and he are primarily wearing clothes from S & M and he wants to know what kinds of watches they're rocking because watches can quickly get expensive, and most of us are here not just because we like the tailoring and the fabric, but the price of the products. As I've said before, the Allen Edmonds thread frequently veers away from the direct discussion of AE products, but only bolsters a sense of community and engenders trust and a sense of who you're interacting with on the anonymous web.

I have a similar romantic feeling towards automatic movements, but lack the desire to find out which vintage pieces are affordable and then hunt for them. I also dislike the gigantic diver watches that seemed to be all the rage, and sought out smaller, more classically proportioned watches.

I settled on an Orient Bambino v3 for dressier purposes and a Seiko SNKK65 for casual wear. I sometimes think about getting one more with a woven strap because the metal isn't my favorite to wear.

I usually end up wearing the Orient because it just looks so nice.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This always gets brought up whenever anyone strays from the S & M product, but it seems unnecessary. No one is forgetting or ignoring what the primary purpose of this thread is, but as Stuffedsuperspud says he sees a lot of guys whose taste he likes because they and he are primarily wearing clothes from S & M and he wants to know what kinds of watches they're rocking because watches can quickly get expensive, and most of us are here not just because we like the tailoring and the fabric, but the price of the products. As I've said before, the Allen Edmonds thread frequently veers away from the direct discussion of AE products, but only bolsters a sense of community and engenders trust and a sense of who you're interacting with on the anonymous web.

I have a similar romantic feeling towards automatic movements, but lack the desire to find out which vintage pieces are affordable and then hunt for them. I also dislike the gigantic diver watches that seemed to be all the rage, and sought out smaller, more classically proportioned watches.

I settled on an Orient Bambino v3 for dressier purposes and a Seiko SNKK65 for casual wear. I sometimes think about getting one more with a woven strap because the metal isn't my favorite to wear.

In addition, his question isn't posing a direct competition to Spier's products.

NickisaguyinBK

Reaction score

I think the “hijack” comment was a joke, haha.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score

I wear a Longines Hydroconquest most days, but I also own a Carpenter Watches Brooklyn Gent. I think they could be a good option for the price point. Good luck!

blewnote1

Reaction score
Back to the discussion of Speir, I've recently picked up some nice pieces and need to put some pictures up, but wanted to hip anyone living in a hot climate to the VBC mesh sportcoat. I almost didn't pick it up because one of the guys here shared his impression that it was too "sack like" but it went on sale and I figured that the worst that could happen was to send it back.

It is completely unstructured, so definitely veers casual (but sportcoats are inherently more casual anyway), but means it is right at home with polos/short sleeve button downs/tshirts/camp collar shirts/linen shirts for wear during the hot summer. It is still cut in a tailored jacket style though, so with a shirt and tie I don't think it would look out of place, you just have to be willing to accept that it won't drape the same way that something with a canvas or lining will.

I'm in New Orleans and the heat and humidity are brutal here. Even though the clubs I play at are air conditioned, it frequently struggles to keep up with the open door and it's not that comfortable to wear a full suit, so I've been buying unlined linen sportcoats to try out. They're great, but this VBC mesh is better.

It's mostly wool, so it doesn't get creased/wrinkled like linen, and it's super light and open weave so it wears cool. I dig the fabric too, it's a nice deep sage/olive green color with lighter flecks from the silk and linen, and has a nice texture to it. The Armoury used this fabric for a similar unstructured jacket this season (for 3 times the price!) and was one of their picks for the humid summers of Hong Kong (which was one of the reasons I was interested in this). I'm sure the Rust color is equally nice. Anyways if you live somewhere hot and want something that is very lightweight and breathable give this jacket a thought.

hysteria

Reaction score
Back to the discussion of Speir, I've recently picked up some nice pieces and need to put some pictures up, but wanted to hip anyone living in a hot climate to the VBC mesh sportcoat. I almost didn't pick it up because one of the guys here shared his impression that it was too "sack like" but it went on sale and I figured that the worst that could happen was to send it back.

It is completely unstructured, so definitely veers casual (but sportcoats are inherently more casual anyway), but means it is right at home with polos/short sleeve button downs/tshirts/camp collar shirts/linen shirts for wear during the hot summer. It is still cut in a tailored jacket style though, so with a shirt and tie I don't think it would look out of place, you just have to be willing to accept that it won't drape the same way that something with a canvas or lining will.

I'm in New Orleans and the heat and humidity are brutal here. Even though the clubs I play at are air conditioned, it frequently struggles to keep up with the open door and it's not that comfortable to wear a full suit, so I've been buying unlined linen sportcoats to try out. They're great, but this VBC mesh is better.

It's mostly wool, so it doesn't get creased/wrinkled like linen, and it's super light and open weave so it wears cool. I dig the fabric too, it's a nice deep sage/olive green color with lighter flecks from the silk and linen, and has a nice texture to it. The Armoury used this fabric for a similar unstructured jacket this season (for 3 times the price!) and was one of their picks for the humid summers of Hong Kong (which was one of the reasons I was interested in this). I'm sure the Rust color is equally nice. Anyways if you live somewhere hot and want something that is very lightweight and breathable give this jacket a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.
It does look like a nice colour from the pics - in fact, it's difficult to even say whether this is green or a grey, which makes it even more interesting. Would you be able to send some photos of it? MIght be helpful to see some non-studio photos to get a better sense of the colour. I'm intrigued.

As usual, barely any sizes left lol. Typical SM...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads