• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This suit is actually the half canvas stretch cotton, dry clean only version they released. They also released that same season a 100% cotton completely unstructured suit that I passed on because it wasn't advertised as having any elastane or spandex. The washed cotton version was even more rumpled/scrunchy looking than the one I got. Pics of both in this post:
https://dappered.com/2020/08/spier-and-mackay-25-off-sitewide-sale/
I don't know what it is about the Drake's version that captures the laid back vibe of a casual suit without also looking sloppy, but most truly unstructured suits just look too sloppy. Still, I'd try one if it had decent proportions without breaking the bank.

I was briefly excited to see the knit suit separates until I noticed that the pants come with an elastic waist band and draw string.
I've owned a couple of S&M cotton and cotton/elastane jackets over the years and all of mine have been sloppy.

I was also excited for the knit suit until I saw the draw string pants. Too gimmicky.

Here is another Drake's version. It does look a bit sloppy, just like S&M's cut. Though this is ripstop cotton I think.
Ripstop-Header.jpg

A spier version of a washable games suit would be pretty cool. Something 3 roll 2 maybe with swelled edges and maybe flap pockets? Pants in the current high rise cut with or without pleats (beggars can’t be choosers). I’d be game for one in like a pale non-yellow khaki or navy or something. I think the fabric needs to be of decent weight so it hangs well. Like cotton or Cotton canvas.
+1, heavier fabric might work, or maybe a corduroy?

zewill

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing me back to the forum! Appreciate the call-out but no, wasn't me. Scared of dry washing, so you can imagine how I would feel about machine wash haha. Will follow conversation with interest tho!

Makes sense on different fabrics shrinking at different rates; that's why people say to always dry clean tailoring.

I'd love for it to take off, even if it may not be feasible. I think it's one of the most versatile options in today's world, a revival of old technology and trends, and shouldn't be too expensive in theory. A suit is also just easy to co-ordinate by definition vs. a sports coat.

I saw that Epaulet did an MTO run very recently for cotton suiting, but it was open for like 2 days and posted in the SW&D forum.

I do recall someone here actually cold washing a S&M sports coat with 0 shrinkage or issues. @zewill possibly?

@reidrothchild did post the batch of washed cotton that I was talking about, and I'm not sure if the scrunchy chest does it for me.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still irked that I wasn’t able to snag the full suit on either color, but grabbed a pair of the 4-ply charcoal pents. Will be curious to weigh them against my fresco.

teknique22

Reaction score
Anyone get the MTM wrinkle-free fabric from WEBA? It's supposedly better than their Thomas Mason, would like to hear some reviews and/or photos. thanks

jermyzy

Reaction score
Pretty small selection on sale, the ones I'm interested in aren't on sale 😥

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
Anyone get the MTM wrinkle-free fabric from WEBA? It's supposedly better than their Thomas Mason, would like to hear some reviews and/or photos. thanks
Do you know if these are treated with any chemicals? If they are naturally wrinkle resistant and not hot to wear, I'd probably pick one up.

Brennenman

Reaction score
Makes sense on different fabrics shrinking at different rates; that's why people say to always dry clean tailoring.

I'd love for it to take off, even if it may not be feasible. I think it's one of the most versatile options in today's world, a revival of old technology and trends, and shouldn't be too expensive in theory. A suit is also just easy to co-ordinate by definition vs. a sports coat.

I saw that Epaulet did an MTO run very recently for cotton suiting, but it was open for like 2 days and posted in the SW&D forum.

I do recall someone here actually cold washing a S&M sports coat with 0 shrinkage or issues. @zewill possibly?

@reidrothchild did post the batch of washed cotton that I was talking about, and I'm not sure if the scrunchy chest does it for me.
I washed my seersucker jacket a while back and thought I posted it, but maybe I didn’t. I didn’t have problems with shrinkage, just a growing gut

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still irked that I wasn’t able to snag the full suit on either color, but grabbed a pair of the 4-ply charcoal pents. Will be curious to weigh them against my fresco.
The charcoal is more like a mid to dark gray. And the fabric is very different from fresco in almost every way. Not bad, just different.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI a bunch of sportcoats (and maybe suits) just went on sale for 20% off for Memorial Day. I may have to apologize to my wife later.
I'll throw money at them when/if they run the free full canvas promo or MTO sale.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The charcoal is more like a mid to dark gray. And the fabric is very different from fresco in almost every way. Not bad, just different.
Interesting. How would you consider them different? Assume they’re still rather porous/temperature regulating?
Good to hear on the coloring. It did strike me as a bit lighter than charcoal, so not upset by that at all.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. How would you consider them different? Assume they’re still rather porous/temperature regulating?
Good to hear on the coloring. It did strike me as a bit lighter than charcoal, so not upset by that at all.
Yes, very porous. They're considerably heavier. More casual looking due to the thicker fabric. The fresco holds a sharper crease. Here's a close up of the brown version from another affiliate vendor. It's more reminiscent of a mocklino than fresco due to the porous nature.
IMG_20210715_080256_edit_799745762321715.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, very porous. They're considerably heavier. More casual looking due to the thicker fabric. The fresco holds a sharper crease. Here's a close up of the brown version from another affiliate vendor. It's more reminiscent of a mocklino than fresco due to the porous nature.
View attachment 1796346
Yes, I'd agree with this. The 4-ply feels softer. Fresco is significantly stiffer.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I'll throw money at them when/if they run the free full canvas promo or MTO sale.

I’ve been waiting on one of those for so long I saved enough money to throw it at something far more expensive (Steed). I’ll finally be able to assess how Spier’s MTO stacks up against something more individualized.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads