• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangaa

Reaction score
It feels like S&M is doing something right.

It's not easy to pivot in the current landscape particularly when you layer on the supply chain woes.

But if by offering more, even when sold at a discount, means continued success to develop the foundational items then I'm all for it.

I just hope they fix the arm-hole issue in the jackets before more SF members feel alienated.

thisfits

Reaction score
I just hope they fix the arm-hole issue in the jackets before more SF members feel alienated.

On this ... understandably, people who had an issue with the raised armhole would raise concerns in this thread. But I'm wondering if there are more folks like the poster above who are fine with it and just haven't spoken up.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this ... understandably, people who had an issue with the raised armhole would raise concerns in this thread. But I'm wondering if there are more folks like the poster above who are fine with it and just haven't spoken up.
That’s the way it usually goes, right? A couple years ago, three or four guys who disliked the armhole posture of the Neo jacket lobbied hard for raising the arm holes. Those like me who were fine with the cut as it existed then said nothing. Fast forward two years, you have raised arm holes, more unhappy people, and the proponents of raised arm holes have gone silent. ?‍♂️

Menswear2021

Reaction score
That’s the way it usually goes, right? A couple years ago, three or four guys who disliked the armhole posture of the Neo jacket lobbied hard for raising the arm holes. Those like me who were fine with the cut as it existed then said nothing. Fast forward two years, you have raised arm holes, more unhappy people, and the proponents of raised arm holes have gone silent. ?‍♂️
Again raised arm hole doesn't equal to restricted upper body movement.Spier just couldn't do a proper higher arm hole.And breast pockets also went up with the higher arm holes, which shouldn't have happened.A failed experiment.

Last edited:

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
Got the same SS22 Bottoli Neo, 40L contemporary.

Armholes a little too high, but not too bad. Seems same as the FW21 Neo, but I don't have one on hand to measure.
IMG_20220127_161131702~2.jpg

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
Yours and the other poster make this jacket looks almost gray purplish. Is it fairly accurate to the website pics?
More gray and less brown than I expected but not necessarily bad, just different. Armhole is a little bothersome, not my most comfortable jacket. Shorter than ideal, and I'm not crazy tall at 6'1".

MrFingers

Reaction score
More gray and less brown than I expected but not necessarily bad, just different. Armhole is a little bothersome, not my most comfortable jacket. Shorter than ideal, and I'm not crazy tall at 6'1".
It does a bit short to me as well, perhaps try a 42R? That seems to work for me better. I’m comparing this jacket to my sondrio from ‘19 but I don’t wanna get it if it’s too similar
BDF48CF0-03F0-4F81-9E9E-88ED1D97A143.jpeg
Lighting is a bit yellow so this looks extra brown

gonnagetmine

Reaction score
It does a bit short to me as well, perhaps try a 42R? That seems to work for me better. I’m comparing this jacket to my sondrio from ‘19 but I don’t wanna get it if it’s too similar
View attachment 1744656 Lighting is a bit yellow so this looks extra brown
Thanks. That looks a decent bit darker and browner. Not sure if it's enough contrast to buy another if it were me, especially if the armholes were potentially better then. I'm really thinking of returning due to the armholes. They dig into the front delt area.

My 40L should actually be 0.6" longer than a 42R. Could get a 42L but I think everything else will be too big.

It would help if length was within spec--I measured 30.5" instead of 31.3" per size chart.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Thanks. That looks a decent bit darker and browner. Not sure if it's enough contrast to buy another if it were me, especially if the armholes were potentially better then. I'm really thinking of returning due to the armholes. They dig into the front delt area.

My 40L should actually be 0.6" longer than a 42R. Could get a 42L but I think everything else will be too big.

It would help if length was within spec--I measured 30.5" instead of 31.3" per size chart.
Jacket lengths in long are almost always shorter than spec in my experience (not just SM, but other brands too). It's very annoying.

Verniza

Reaction score
It's not easy to pivot in the current landscape particularly when you layer on the supply chain woes.

But if by offering more, even when sold at a discount, means continued success to develop the foundational items then I'm all for it.

I'm just gonna chime in that it's better to split new cuts as separate models.

Because customers who are used to old cuts and comfortable with it, will be in for a rude shock when we realize that our new purchase doesn't fit the same.

The member who posted that I was SOL on my MTO order was correct. I have reached out to S&M and was informed that the cut was adjusted with fit differing from garment to garment.

I have also resigned to my fate that I have paid extra for poorer fitting item and will probably be avoiding RTW/MTO again. Karma from cheating on my bespoke tailor.

ksinc

Reaction score
RE: Chunky Cardigan - There was a small, non-functional button detail on the chunky cardigan. I removed it. Other than a few 'grandpa' jokes from my work colleagues I am very happy with it. The XXL is barely correct sizing for me. I am 6' 200# and wear a 17.5"x36" shirt and the contemporary jackets in size 46 are slightly too tight for me in the chest, shoulders, and upper arms. I'm hoping the 47 I have on order with a longer body will fit me better.

Hope this helps someone with relative sizing info. No lithe instagram model photos here - sorry ;-)

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Chunky Cardigan - There was a small, non-functional button detail on the chunky cardigan. I removed it. Other than a few 'grandpa' jokes from my work colleagues I am very happy with it. The XXL is barely correct sizing for me. I am 6' 200# and wear a 17.5"x36" shirt and the contemporary jackets in size 46 are slightly too tight for me in the chest, shoulders, and upper arms. I'm hoping the 47 I have on order with a longer body will fit me better.

Hope this helps someone with relative sizing info. No lithe instagram model photos here - sorry ;-)

The button has been discussed. It is not non-functional, there is a loop on the opposite lapel of the sweater which allows closing the cardigan up higher than just using the main, larger buttons.

Loop can be seen here:
1643386961958.png

ksinc

Reaction score
MrFingers - very nice jackets - I am anxious to try the unstructured and uncanvassed sport coat I have on order and hope I look as relaxed and comfortable as you do in Photo #2 in softer construction once I get the correct sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads