• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to report sizing up on the new (well, now outdated) Neo yielded a notably better fit. The sleevehead still doesn’t fully agree with my frame, but the issue is diminished with the slight widened shoulders.
Will be curious to see how the updated iteration works.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Happy to report sizing up on the new (well, now outdated) Neo yielded a notably better fit. The sleevehead still doesn’t fully agree with my frame, but the issue is diminished with the slight widened shoulders.
Will be curious to see how the updated iteration works.
You know the deal my man. We need fit pics. What was your initial (regular) size and how much did you need to go up to?

zurich64

Reaction score
If @Riva was here he would say the pant waist should have elastane in them instead of both belt loops and side tabs to keep up with the times
I seriously hope @spiermackay is not taking style advice for their products based on comments made by a few random dudes on the internet. Some of the commenters could very well be like this guy:

30-year-old dog walker/reddit mod

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I moved the buttons on my C23 large Italian button down collar shirt and think it makes the collar even better.
I moved them 1/4” out from center, and 1/4” down.
So it still rolls really great but the shape when buttoned is just a little more spread.
Here are pics comparing before/after with the same outfit.
Rick said I should be able to request this change from the factory going forward, but he told me there's a special way to take the measurement and specify it in the comments. I'll report back when I find out what that is in case anybody else is interested. Rick is following up with the factory, as the button placement on this collar should be more like what I've done to it. Sounds like he's going to have them update the default button placing to give it a wider, lower roll (somewhat like my after picture).
I also plan to have them cut this collar with 1/2" tie space in the future, which I also think will improve it.
BEFORE:
IMG_4952.jpg
AFTER:
IMG_5130.jpg

Last edited:

AtlRock

Reaction score
I moved the buttons on my C23 large Italian button down collar shirt and think it makes the collar even better.
I moved them 1/4” out from center, and 1/4” down.
So it still rolls really great but the shape when buttoned is just a little more spread.
Here are pics comparing before/after with the same outfit.
Rick said I should be able to request this change from the factory going forward, but he told me there's a special way to take the measurement and specify it in the comments. I'll report back when I find out what that is in case anybody else is interested. Rick is following up with the factory, as the button placement on this collar should be more like what I've done to it. Sounds like he's going to have them update the default button placing to give it a wider, lower roll (somewhat like my after picture).
I also plan to have them cut this collar with 1/2" tie space in the future, which I also think will improve it.
BEFORE:
View attachment 1744435
AFTER:
View attachment 1744436
Your attention to detail pays off .... looks great!

Imperatores

Reaction score
I seriously hope @spiermackay is not taking style advice for their products based on comments made by a few random dudes on the internet. Some of the commenters could very well be like this guy:

Give S&M and Rick a little credit. They know what they're doing, and are more than capable of distinguishing between good or interesting suggestions and random weirdos talking out of their behinds. The interactions between Rick and SF have mostly been fruitful discussions, and not just people decreeing what they want and S&M meekly delivering.

Something tells me that the guy in your video - and people like him - isn't particularly concerned with classic menswear or dressing well in general, btw.

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
Just received this in the mail - it is the recent Bottoli POW for SS. The armhole is definitely higher than my SS21 Neo jacket. However, it is wearable and I don’t think I’ll notice it much over time. I’m keeping it! View attachment 1744466
That's a really nice jacket. Looks great!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stoppppppppp this thinking, please. SM isn't stupid, and we aren't that important lol. They're not trashing what's working to accommodate us, nor should they. They DO, to their credit, engage with the customer base, which has presumably been to the benefit of their bottom line and the happiness of said customers.
Just received this in the mail - it is the recent Bottoli POW for SS. The armhole is definitely higher than my SS21 Neo jacket. However, it is wearable and I don’t think I’ll notice it much over time. I’m keeping it! View attachment 1744466
It may well be the shirt being untucked, but that looks mighty short.

zurich64

Reaction score
Give S&M and Rick a little credit. They know what they're doing, and are more than capable of distinguishing between good or interesting suggestions and random weirdos talking out of their behinds. The interactions between Rick and SF have mostly been fruitful discussions, and not just people decreeing what they want and S&M meekly delivering.

Something tells me that the guy in your video - and people like him - isn't particularly concerned with classic menswear or dressing well in general, btw.
Latest releases like hoodies, sweatpants, overshirts, easy pants, etc seem to indicate SM wants this demographic!!

Imperatores

Reaction score
Latest releases like hoodies, sweatpants, overshirts, easy pants, etc seem to indicate SM wants this demographic!!

I don't understand why you single out overshirts. They are classic menswear and fits perfectly into S&M's lineup. My take on the hoodies, sweatpants etc. is that they're probably not trying to attract a completely different demographic, but want to become more of a one-stop shop for their existing customer base. Menswear geeks need a few pairs of sweatpants too, don't we? I've never bought anything more casual than a polo shirt from S&M myself, though.

Last edited:

dangaa

Reaction score
a one-stop shop for their existing customer base

I'm not sure if this is entirely true but Rick did mention ages ago when we were all discussing SM's debut undergarment range that it was all about ABS (average basket size) in the Ecommerce space.

If they already have the production capacity and means in place to launch certain items to grow that metric then he will seriously look at it. Does that mean they become a one stop shop? I personally hope not.

I can find value elsewhere for my basics but as Rick has already reminded me - I'm not his target demographic for those items. I'm here for the jackets, shirts & trousers and I would suspect that would be the case for most of us in this thread.

thisfits

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is entirely true but Rick did mention ages ago when we were all discussing SM's debut undergarment range that it was all about ABS (average basket size) in the Ecommerce space.

If they already have the production capacity and means in place to launch certain items to grow that metric then he will seriously look at it. Does that mean they become a one stop shop? I personally hope not.

I can find value elsewhere for my basics but as Rick has already reminded me - I'm not his target demographic for those items. I'm here for the jackets, shirts & trousers and I would suspect that would be the case for most of us in this thread.

This is insightful, and I'd add: how about maintaining the ABS in a world less inclined toward tailored clothing?

A couple weeks ago I purchased a full-canvas flannel suit from S&M. Last night I put in an order that was almost the same dollar value, but a totally different makeup: flannel trousers, a couple flannel shirts, suede chukkas, a sweatshirt and ... a pair of easy pants.

It feels like S&M is doing something right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads