• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Rick posted about this a few years ago (pre-COVID) and he said that Neo cut suits generally did not do very well compared to their standard cut suits. But I wouldn't be surprised if the dramatic shifts in workwear caused by COVID have resulted in more of their sales coming from SF-minded customers.

I personally like side tab trousers with specific outfits -- suits or (somewhat paradoxically to me) summer trousers (e.g. linen) where it's more comfortable not to have to wear a belt. But with most other kinds of outfits I still like wearing a belt. Not really into side tabs on corduroy or moleskin trousers personally.

Imperatores

Reaction score
They do have a tendency to be very responsive to comments on SF. If you like the SF-style, that's clearly a benefit. It does create the impression that they don't have a strong vision of their own. Maybe that's okay, it's not pure art -- it's a business. But it creates a sense that the designs are transient, you can't necessarily expect to find something you like and come back year after year. I think that's one reason the changes generate a bit of rancor here. It's always annoying to find something you like and then it changes.

Agreed. That's why I don't think they should make significant pattern changes to the whole range at once. It's possible that it would be too expensive or difficult to produce multiple pattern variations for each season, though. I don't really know anything about the practical realities of (relatively) small scale clothing production. It seems to me like MTO could be a good solution for a lot of SF-minded customers. Having the raised armhole as an option in the MTO configurator rather than the standard RTW cut, for instance.

I know Rick posted about this a few years ago (pre-COVID) and he said that Neo cut suits generally did not do very well compared to their standard cut suits. But I wouldn't be surprised if the dramatic shifts in workwear caused by COVID have resulted in more of their sales coming from SF-minded customers.

I would be surprised if SF-minded customers haven't been responsible for the vast majority of jackets, suits and trousers sold during COVID.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Yes, I think Rick said that they were now focussing on neo-cut jackets as menswear/instagram enthusiasts are now the major market. This is a real shame as I like the ordinary cut, but find the neo a little too instagrammy.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Didn't he even say that they were pretty much the only ones buying tailored clothing during COVID-19?

I've never viewed side tabs as something out there, I just find it super practical on my suits and chinos.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side tabs are far less an affectation than suspenders...and I don't say that to bash the latter in any way. If I had my druthers (which, as I've said before, Rick and SM should NOT abide for RTW lol), I'd prefer a fully bare waist. Side tabs serve no functional purpose for me since I wear suspenders, so I could happily go without.
Though, that said, if the option is tabs or belt loops...I'll take tabs any day.

Stylewords

Reaction score
I think side tabs are fine if wearing a tie and a jacket. Otherwise, they look strange/affected.

Brennenman

Reaction score
I think side tabs are fine if wearing a tie and a jacket. Otherwise, they look strange/affected.
I’m going to disagree, a linen popover with khaki pants looks incomplete without side tabs or a Gurkha style pant

ksinc

Reaction score
This sort of boils down to "Is the customer always right?"

I had a charcoal chunky cardigan in XXL waiting for me when I got home this evening. Terrific item!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads