• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been countless people coming into my place to purchase suits and jackets from me over the years so they've been able to get some exposure to the multitude of brands in the same wardrobe which is impossible in a store that carries maybe 4-5 brands max. Their sentiments mirrored mine in that there are parts of SM jackets that are constricting, not the glove-like comfortable fit found in Italian brands from both smaller and bigger names. In fact yesterday a guy who is 1 size bigger than me came to purchase a SM jacket and ended up with a small house Italian brand despite the much higher armholes and similar drape. The main reason they still sometimes purchased SM is simply because SM is cheaper and offers more fabric options than everything else. When they do wear for long periods like at work they wear something else. The only SM pieces left in my main wardrobe are those with stretchy fabrics still comfortable enough to wear AND shoulders that don't move up too much when raising my arms. You should try gambling with other things.
Lol. Huh? For my gambling purposes, something I can return for what, maybe $10, seems a reasonably safe bet.
In any event, enjoy stretchy fabrics and bike/dress shoe hybrids. I’m sure the 20 something female (or male, whatever tickles your pickle) crowd loves it.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. Huh? For my gambling purposes, something I can return for what, maybe $10, seems a reasonably safe bet.
In any event, enjoy stretchy fabrics and bike/dress shoe hybrids. I’m sure the 20 something female (or male, whatever tickles your pickle) crowd loves it.

Damn I thought this was a stamp duty international shipping gamble. No need to announce a $10 gamble to the world yo!

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean as always. Are the second trousers the Dugdale cavalry twill? I dig this color for aesthetic I'm aiming for.
Many thanks! Trews on second photo are the green cotton joints offered as part of a suit from the SS '21 collection. I just bought the trews and not the whole suit.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second pair of charcoal coverts. Will be curious to compare against the suit from last season. Would be nice to have an extra pair, but worst case these will do plenty well as odd trousers.
77591422-D09A-4D06-AE7A-82FCBB1A0B03.jpeg

blindlemonjeff

Reaction score
Has anyone else been having a lot of issues with inconsistent sizing recently?

The last few pies of trousers I’ve bought have differed vastly, despite all being 32 contemporary in the high rise, pleated cut.

• First pair: navy seersucker suit trousers. Unbearably small. The butt was so tight it was like wearing yoga pants.
  • Second pair: navy flannel suit trousers. These fit properly, like all my older S&M.
  • Third pair: beige cavalry twill trousers. Absolutely enormous. Don’t sit on the waist, and much fuller through the thigh.
Massive fan of the brand, but it feels like Q&A and tolerances have gotten worse and worse. I understand that things are tough with COVID etc, but if I can’t reliably wear the same exact size I’ve been buying for years, then I’m not sure I can keep shopping. When you combine the sizing problems with slow order processing, expensive returns, and spotty customer service, it’s getting to be a harder and harder sell.

Does this resonate with anyone else? Is it a known problem?

Last edited:

JayDee90

Reaction score
Given all the comments on armhole-gate, has anyone tried this seasons jackets in both slim and contemp given one of the differences pre-2021 was that the contemp had a slightly lower armhole?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  • Third pair: beige cavalry twill trousers. Absolutely enormous. Don’t sit on the waist, and much fuller through the thigh.
What's the sizing consensus on the covert twills this season? I haven't tried the high-rise model yet and if I do, want to make sure and try a pair that's 'canonical' in terms of sizing.

Imperatores

Reaction score
What's the sizing consensus on the covert twills this season? I haven't tried the high-rise model yet and if I do, want to make sure and try a pair that's 'canonical' in terms of sizing.

I'm curious about sizing on both the covert twills and the high-rise moleskins as well. Has there been an unusual lack of pics of current season items in the wild this time around?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else been having a lot of issues with inconsistent sizing recently?

The last few pies of trousers I’ve bought have differed vastly, despite all being 32 contemporary in the high rise, pleated cut.

• First pair: navy seersucker suit trousers. Unbearably small. The butt was so tight it was like wearing yoga pants.
  • Second pair: navy flannel suit trousers. These fit properly, like all my older S&M.
Massive fan of the brand, but it feels like Q&A and tolerances have gotten worse and worse. I understand that things are tough with COVID etc, but if I can’t reliably wear the same exact size I’ve been buying for years, then I’m not sure I can keep shopping. When you combine the sizing problems with slow order processing, expensive returns, and spotty customer service, it’s getting to be a harder and harder sell.

Does this resonate with anyone else? Is it a known problem?
Same experience ... spent more than 5k on S&M last year on different colors / cloths of same item (trousers basically lol) and literally every one of them fit different. From the Fox Airs (super tight) and Covert Twill VBC (very tight) to Botto (best fitting trousers following the size chart) to Hardy Minnis fresco (ok fit) to Guabello (ok fit)... just nothing was consistent. All RTW btw.

ghh923

Reaction score
I have both high rise covert and moleskin from this season in my standard 35 slim. I like em! Will see about getting some photos this week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads