• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barodon86

Reaction score
Can't recall the sizing discussion related to the overshirts. I wear a 40R Neo jacket and looks like a Small would be similar measurements but sizing down freaks me out. Any help would be nice.

I wear a 38 contemp. or 40 slim jacket from SM. I bought the overshirts in medium (one corduroy, one wool). It's quite a loose fit around the body. The arms are not so loose but still relaxed. I like it, this works for me as a casual layer, but it's not a slim fit. I've thought about tailoring the body to be more trim, but probably won't bother. I wonder if the shoulders would still fit if I had sized down to a Small.

jermyzy

Reaction score
Brown herringbone sportcoat finally in stock! Just picked one up! ?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This comes directly from Rick so everyone can relax a bit. They don’t plan to stop carrying CM stuff, and also no to going full MTO. Sweatpants and other items such as the overshirts are merely an expansion rather than a shift towards a different market.

there, now that we can all breathe normally again.. let’s start looking forward to SS 22 items that will likely start to be showcasing soon given how much stuff just went into the sale section :)
1FF44F3A-E238-46B9-8D10-2FDEA77DAC8D.gif

jermyzy

Reaction score
Has anyone had difficulty contacting SM during the past few weeks? I cancelled an order for two pair of pants and since the order had not left their Toronto facility, SM cancelled the UPS shipment.

Unfortunately, they didn't cancel the order, so my money has not been refunded. Several emails and a phone call have gone unanswered. Not to offset all of the love for SM, but I'm not impressed (at all) with the lack of customer service.

Thanks for any insights!

Marley

That's weird, I've contacted them a couple times during Christmas break and received a reply within a day or two.

dangaa

Reaction score
That's weird, I've contacted them a couple times during Christmas break and received a reply within a day or two.

Same. My two RMA requests were sent the next business day.

@smarley Did you try emailing both info@ and service@?

smarley

Reaction score
Same. My two RMA requests were sent the next business day.

@smarley Did you try emailing both info@ and service@?

After quite a bit of work, I was able to contact them and straighten things out. I wish my four emails over the last week had received the same attention!
I have my first delivery already heading back to them via RMA and from what I understand, the second delivery arrived on my porch today! I’ve already put in for the second RMA, as their 5-pocket pant fit is challenging and are not a good fit for me.

Thanks all!

milktoast

Reaction score
This comes directly from Rick so everyone can relax a bit. They don’t plan to stop carrying CM stuff, and also no to going full MTO. Sweatpants and other items such as the overshirts are merely an expansion rather than a shift towards a different market.

there, now that we can all breathe normally again.. let’s start looking forward to SS 22 items that will likely start to be showcasing soon given how much stuff just went into the sale section :)
Not all heroes wear capes. Some just wear S&M.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B2AA0069-9926-477B-88EB-EAEDD906641D.jpeg

40EB6249-09AA-4FE8-B17F-26C50539FD31.jpeg

Spier and Mackay, today and yesterday. Blah. Blah. Blah…
Photo 1-
Dbl B Navy SC: SM
White LS Polo: Yeossal
Camel Flannel Trews: SM
Belgians: Yanko

Photo 2-
Sngle B Neo SC Hopsack Navy: SM
Grey LS Polo: Yeossal
Green Cotton Trews: SM
Belgians: Yanko

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferk it. Gambled and sized up. Let's see if the new Neo plays nice in the bigger size.

Also, SF apparently censors naughty words? That's weird.

Sizing up for a bigger arm hole? That's just so messed up. You Do Not Compromise. If a jacket doesn't fit well in certain places that's a problem with the pattern not the sizing which I think in this case SM can copy from De Petrillo or the true Neapolitan tailors whose jackets have no problem with high armholes. There's only so much you can do with budget fast fashion. Spend more for other brands that are on sale but cost the same as a normal priced SM like for instance Cavour's Loro Piana full canvas sportjackets that are currently at $500ish or do MTM. Somehow the whole point of buying real quality CM for decades of usage is nonexistent in fast fashion CM in the sake of saving $50-100.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing up for a bigger arm hole? That's just so messed up. You Do Not Compromise. If a jacket doesn't fit well in certain places that's a problem with the pattern not the sizing which I think in this case SM can copy from De Petrillo or the true Neapolitan tailors whose jackets have no problem with high armholes. There's only so much you can do with budget fast fashion. Spend more for other brands that are on sale but cost the same as a normal priced SM like for instance Cavour's Loro Piana full canvas sportjackets that are currently at $500ish or do MTM. Somehow the whole point of buying real quality CM for decades of usage is nonexistent in fast fashion CM in the sake of saving $50-100.
Some of us actually have reasonably substantial upper bodies.
Thus, the gamble part of the equation.
A jacket not fitting well in the shoulders strikes me as a perfectly reasonable bet that opting for a wider shoulder might be a passably smart choice.
If it doesn’t fit, then SM unfortunately becomes a nonstarter for me until the newest Neo change. Hopefully not the case, but TBD.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the available options for great looking tailoring have really come a long way since I first joined styleforum. if someone had shown me this photo in 2008 i'd have guessed the jacket were some expensive brand like attolini or another such impossible-to-attain-unless-at-a-thrift-shop brand. looks great.

God bless China and fast fashion cloning. I've been buying bicycle frames and attires straight off the factories there for 20% of whatever they're selling European / Taiwan branded. It's a beautiful era for online shoppers.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of us actually have reasonably substantial upper bodies.
Thus, the gamble part of the equation.
A jacket not fitting well in the shoulders strikes me as a perfectly reasonable bet that opting for a wider shoulder might be a passably smart choice.
If it doesn’t fit, then SM unfortunately becomes a nonstarter for me until the newest Neo change. Hopefully not the case, but TBD.

There have been countless people coming into my place to purchase suits and jackets from me over the years so they've been able to get some exposure to the multitude of brands in the same wardrobe which is impossible in a store that carries maybe 4-5 brands max. Their sentiments mirrored mine in that there are parts of SM jackets that are constricting, not the glove-like comfortable fit found in Italian brands from both smaller and bigger names. In fact yesterday a guy who is 1 size bigger than me came to purchase a SM jacket and ended up with a small house Italian brand despite the much higher armholes and similar drape. The main reason they still sometimes purchased SM is simply because SM is cheaper and offers more fabric options than everything else. When they do wear for long periods like at work they wear something else. The only SM pieces left in my main wardrobe are those with stretchy fabrics still comfortable enough to wear AND shoulders that don't move up too much when raising my arms. You should try gambling with other things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads