• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Yes, I have the beige and green gun club and I’m quite happy with it. I generally take a 36s slim in Neo sport coats and I purchased a 36 in the flight jacket. It fits well and leaves room for a sweater underneath.
This looks nice. Is the body short enough that this looks better on high rise pants or is it a normal length?

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
This looks nice. Is the body short enough that this looks better on high rise pants or is it a normal length?

The length is definitely shorter, so it should work well with high-rise pants but also won’t look out place with jeans. The size chart appears to be accurate.

Octobab

Reaction score
To all the people who bought the gloves this year in all three colors.... why?

And secondly, if anyone has a dark brown deerskin pair in L... I'll be in the BST thread

AtlRock

Reaction score
I am heading to New York City this afternoon. Ant recommendations of menswear and shoe shops I should check out? I have a full week to spend.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got myself a pair of VBC coverts, I wish I'd tried them sooner.

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

LoganKade

Reaction score
I received my first SM shirt in my typical shirt sizing. it fits nicely everywhere but the collar--the neck size is right, but the back of it won't stay under a suit jacket and just seems like there isn't enough fabric? it won't cover the collar stand no matter what I've tried

Not sure if this is just the way this collar is, or if I got a weird cut. It's the white royal twill with Italian spread for reference. Any thoughts?
IMG_0522.jpg tempImagefxa4LS.png tempImagetgkiUg.png

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
I received my first SM shirt in my typical shirt sizing. it fits nicely everywhere but the collar--the neck size is right, but the back of it won't stay under a suit jacket and just seems like there isn't enough fabric? it won't cover the collar stand no matter what I've tried

Not sure if this is just the way this collar is, or if I got a weird cut. It's the white royal twill with Italian spread for reference. Any thoughts?
View attachment 1717305 View attachment 1717306 View attachment 1717307
Press it so the crease is right above the seam. It’s not creased correctly.

exfalso

Reaction score
Be very careful with custom orders.

The trousers just came in with 2" off at the hip. The brown trousers are from a local tailor, and the hip on this pair is supposed to be (and measures) 20.25" half. The navy trousers are what I received this morning, and this pair is supposed to be 20.5" half at the hip.

View attachment 1716687

View attachment 1716683

S&M also altered the suit before they shipped it to me. Rick had the audacity to tell me that it's just off by some factory tolerances, which is supposed to be 1.5 cm from what I can tell.

View attachment 1716685

But there is absolutely no fabric left in the seat.

So I guess it's actually at least 3" off?

This is my 4th MTM suit -- not MTO, as I actually travelled to Toronto to do an in-store fitting. And I've had issues every single time (the hip being one of the issues, of course). I paid for alterations because it is normal for things to be off slightly. I am not sure what to do with the pending orders, but depending on what happens next, I might have to jump ship and try to find another store. I cannot recommend the MTO/MTM program as is.

I will keep you posted.

I have a small update. Rick told me that I am not measuring the trousers correctly, as if there is some magical technique. So I did exactly what I was told and got exactly the same measurement that I got last time.

Except this is how much I have to bend the measuring tape to get the 20" as expected:

IMG_2798.jpeg

Can someone help me figure out how to get the extra 2"? The trousers are supposed to be 20.5" half at the hip, and Rick told me he measured the trousers himself at the store, and there was a 1.5 cm discrepancy. Maybe he opened up the pleats? I am not even sure why I am arguing with Rick about this at this point.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no need for a flight/bomber jacket. But @CaliforniaTux You are wearing it well. Makes me interested but I know it won't get much wear

I think the fit and the model (and the price) are all spot on. I just hope for a bit more traditional colors next spring - aside the green one these are all a bit too much for my taste

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a small update. Rick told me that I am not measuring the trousers correctly, as if there is some magical technique. So I did exactly what I was told and got exactly the same measurement that I got last time.

Except this is how much I have to bend the measuring tape to get the 20" as expected:

View attachment 1717440

Can someone help me figure out how to get the extra 2"? The trousers are supposed to be 20.5" half at the hip, and Rick told me he measured the trousers himself at the store, and there was a 1.5 cm discrepancy. Maybe he opened up the pleats? I am not even sure why I am arguing with Rick about this at this point.
I've always been critical of S&M's MTO/MTM programs. Quality control has never been great.

I've seen people here have success with them, but the common factor seems to be very minor deviations from their stock/OTR sizes or details.

I have finally nailed my shirt size, and it took countless iterations and communications with them.

There still isn't a "live" system online for editing a shirt's final measurements like Proper Cloth. I understand the pandemic may have thrown this by the wayside, and the MTM shirts aren't a big part of sales either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads