• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choco flannel suit last year was a winner
647D566A-03DA-4D2C-B0F1-31DF4F0547B8.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SpierTeam @spiermackay

Hey fellas, any chance we can get some patterned/plaid oxford cloth options in the MTM program? Like most, I've had all of the staples in solid colors and university stripe for eons but I'd like to add something with a bit more pop for the winter, especially to wear under solid-colored crewneck sweaters like navy or grey. I've searched the usual players for online MTM shirts and it doesn't seem like anyone offers something like this.

For example, J. Crew has a few plaid OCBDs...

View attachment 1714811
View attachment 1714812

Also, a solid green (word to Miles Davis) oxford fabric would be great. I have an older one (from J. Crew, of all places) but one with a proper collar is on my wishlist.

View attachment 1714816

Yes!! A huge yes to these fabrics and other makeups like them...

By the way, how was the process of taking an existing shirt's measurements and putting it into Spier's system for a brand new MTM order?

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, S&M really went all in on the Overshirts this year, there’s gotta be 20-25 up on the website…

I’m admittedly not on Team Overshirt, but seems a bit overkill!
Yes, They're Headed In The Caual Wear, Maybe The Mustard and This One. I Feel You, I Don't Really Have A Need For Overshirts, I Really Was Looking For High Rise "Cream" Sidetabs...

milktoast

Reaction score
Spier shirt I'd been eyeing for a bit arrived...but with a stain. Pretty peeved that I have to play the waiting game to exchange it. Wanted to just go drop it off at the tailor this week, but alas the universe had a different plan for me.

exfalso

Reaction score
Be very careful with custom orders.

The trousers just came in with 2" off at the hip. The brown trousers are from a local tailor, and the hip on this pair is supposed to be (and measures) 20.25" half. The navy trousers are what I received this morning, and this pair is supposed to be 20.5" half at the hip.

IMG_2796 (1).jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

S&M also altered the suit before they shipped it to me. Rick had the audacity to tell me that it's just off by some factory tolerances, which is supposed to be 1.5 cm from what I can tell.

IMG_2786.jpeg

But there is absolutely no fabric left in the seat.

So I guess it's actually at least 3" off?

This is my 4th MTM suit -- not MTO, as I actually travelled to Toronto to do an in-store fitting. And I've had issues every single time (the hip being one of the issues, of course). I paid for alterations because it is normal for things to be off slightly. I am not sure what to do with the pending orders, but depending on what happens next, I might have to jump ship and try to find another store. I cannot recommend the MTO/MTM program as is.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Rafael Loh

Reaction score
Be very careful with custom orders.

The trousers just came in with 2" off at the hip. The brown trousers are from a local tailor, and the hip on this pair is supposed to be (and measures) 20.25" half. The navy trousers are what I received this morning, and this pair is supposed to be 20.5" half at the hip.

View attachment 1716687

View attachment 1716683

S&M also altered the suit before they shipped it to me. Rick had the audacity to tell me that it's just off by some factory tolerances, which is supposed to be 1.5 cm from what I can tell.

View attachment 1716685

But there is absolutely no fabric left in the seat.

So I guess it's actually at least 3" off?

This is my 4th MTM suit -- not MTO, as I actually travelled to Toronto to do an in-store fitting. And I've had issues every single time (the hip being one of the issues, of course). I paid for alterations because it is normal for things to be off slightly. I am not sure what to do with the pending orders, but depending on what happens next, I might have to jump ship and try to find another store. I cannot recommend the MTO/MTM program as is.

I will keep you posted.
I had the same exact issue with the hips for my first custom trousers from them. Had to increase the hips by 0.5" each side. Their pattern doesnt seem to scale well with the changes increase/ decrease.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the design elements of Spier's shirts, especially the OCBDs. I'm not too pleased with the durability, though. The fabric is rather thin and the shirts seem to shrink after a single cold water wash and hang-dry. I have OCBDs from Kamakura that have been washed about 100 times in this fashion, and are seemingly the exact same size as on day one.

The Spier shirts are a good value but I'm a bit disappointed in the shrinkage.

JayDee90

Reaction score
I like the design elements of Spier's shirts, especially the OCBDs. I'm not too pleased with the durability, though. The fabric is rather thin and the shirts seem to shrink after a single cold water wash and hang-dry. I have OCBDs from Kamakura that have been washed about 100 times in this fashion, and are seemingly the exact same size as on day one.

The Spier shirts are a good value but I'm a bit disappointed in the shrinkage.
I would agree that shrinkage has been an issue from year to year as well. Always a shot in the dark whether I should go with my usual size or size up to account for shrinkage. With that being said, the regular oxfords have always served me well in terms of beefiness of the cloth. I actually prefer the lightweight oxfords as they wear a bit cooler.

dangaa

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the flight jackets yet?

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the flight jackets yet?

Yes, I have the beige and green gun club and I’m quite happy with it. I generally take a 36s slim in Neo sport coats and I purchased a 36 in the flight jacket. It fits well and leaves room for a sweater underneath.

Attachments

• 313FCCFC-4769-48FF-BC72-7A158F69FDA0.jpeg
    313FCCFC-4769-48FF-BC72-7A158F69FDA0.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 412

dangaa

Reaction score
Yes, I have the beige and green gun club and I’m quite happy with it. I generally take a 36s slim in Neo sport coats and I purchased a 36 in the flight jacket. It fits well and leaves room for a sweater underneath.

Looks good. Are the hand warmer pockets actually hidden behind the front pockets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads