• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Imperatores

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I just got my jacket, and sized down 1. And it fits well but certainly isnt roomy. With the liner in it, that seems to take up a lot of room. I'd say the guidance they're giving is right. Surprising I know, just based on the measurements it seemed like even sizing down 1 I'd be swimming in it. That's not the case.

That sounds promising. How does it feel in the armholes, sleeves and shoulders? I'll still probably wait until a few guys have posted fit pics until I'd feel comfortable giving it a shot, since international returns are a bit of a pain.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This And Some Blu Suede Shoes, She'll Stop And Look Twice!

1638572214133.png

VegasRebel

Reaction score
I think the slim fit will be OK based on measurements, but I got a couple pairs of contemporary fit too.

Got my pants today, but none of them were even close to fitting. I'm not sure if the size guide is significantly off or if I just didn't measure it correctly, but all the pairs were unwearable. Back they go, I guess. Blergh.

bologna

Reaction score
FYI, I tried two overshirts, one camel and the other dark brown tweed. They didn’t work for me. A little too short, baggy sleeves, and somewhat flimsy weight.

I really like the look of these more causal offerings, but often they are too short for me (I’m a 42L).

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received the Bris Moss cotton Cav Twills? If so, any comments on the weight of the fabric particularly for use in a cold weather climate (NE USA)?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I tried two overshirts, one camel and the other dark brown tweed. They didn’t work for me. A little too short, baggy sleeves, and somewhat flimsy weight.

I really like the look of these more causal offerings, but often they are too short for me (I’m a 42L).

Releasing so many variants of casual jackets means lots of imperfections with them and lots of revisions next season. I can see a few variants not returning next year.

alkydrinker

Reaction score

I’m also a 42l and ordered a 3-pocket over shirt that I’m returning.
I got a size Large….actually quite liked the relaxed fit a lot in some ways (an XL would’ve def been too big), but somehow didn’t like the way the cut combined the 3-pocket chore coat style. The two lower pockets looked really awkward IRL…it almost reminded me of the odd garments you see pictures of men in Pyongyang North Korea wearing (lol).

Yes, I suppose it was maybe too short…but I think it was more awkward proportions and pocket placement than the outright shortness. For example, an Epaulet Doyle jacket has a very natural looking “verticalness” to it, while this S$M piece had an odd horizontal orientation.

But no worries about S$M getting my money…I’m really excited about both the new sack and English hunting sport coat designs.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
@SpierTeam @spiermackay

Hey fellas, any chance we can get some patterned/plaid oxford cloth options in the MTM program? Like most, I've had all of the staples in solid colors and university stripe for eons but I'd like to add something with a bit more pop for the winter, especially to wear under solid-colored crewneck sweaters like navy or grey. I've searched the usual players for online MTM shirts and it doesn't seem like anyone offers something like this.

For example, J. Crew has a few plaid OCBDs...

Screenshot 2021-12-04 154316.png

Screenshot 2021-12-04 154250.png

Also, a solid green (word to Miles Davis) oxford fabric would be great. I have an older one (from J. Crew, of all places) but one with a proper collar is on my wishlist.

1958-miles-davis-c.jpg

Imperatores

Reaction score
The two lower pockets looked really awkward IRL…it almost reminded me of the odd garments you see pictures of men in Pyongyang North Korea wearing (lol).

Yes, I suppose it was maybe too short…but I think it was more awkward proportions and pocket placement than the outright shortness. For example, an Epaulet Doyle jacket has a very natural looking “verticalness” to it, while this S$M piece had an odd horizontal orientation.

I don't really understand what you mean. I have one of the corduroy overshirts and find it to be perfectly in line with standard overshirt/chore coat designs. Nothing weird about the pocket placement and/or overall proportions. I quite like the fit after slimming down the body as well. In fact, I personally find a lot of the Doyle jackets to be weird or awkward looking. They're even shorter than S&M's 3 pocket overshirts, and the hip pockets are placed far too high. I hate the single rear vent as well. I wish single rear vents would go die in a fire. There's definitely room for improvement with the next iterations of S&M's overshirts, but I hope they don't take too much inspiration from jackets like the Doyle.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Both of the new washed chambray shirts are some of my favorite S&M has ever put out.
Here is a quick bathroom pic of the light wash, 16.5 slim. Highly recommend these, also to size up .5 neck, although I wear both 16 and 16.5 slim shirts.

View attachment 1714974
View attachment 1714975

Trousers are Freenote Cloth Westerns.
Can you take a pic of what the back of them look like? Also, what makes you like these so much in comparison to their other shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads