• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
Does anybody have this Brown & Navy houndstooth MTO?

kundalu

Reaction score
Hello everyone

has anyone had issues on being excessively charged?
My order was $355 CAD (confirmed on the receipt I got in the email as well) and just noticed I got charged $355 USD / ~$450 CAD on my credit card...
I will be giving S&M a call tomorrow to sort this out but I encourage you double check your CC's
Understand that black friday has been chaotic and they are on a reduced staff roster, hopefully this gets sorted out soon

MellonC

Reaction score
This is all about personal taste. I'd go with the houndtooth. For such a prominent item I prefer more muted colors.

Just a quick update. I ended up keeping the green corduroy. Initially, I wanted to return it cuz it didn't look right under artificial lighting but the color is actually very doable. I did do some mild surgery on this by my tailor: 1) made it action-backed with single center pleat (there a sewed up pleat inside the garment already) and 2) took in the sides a bit and 3) got rid of the belt loops and, of course, the belt - it made it look like a bathrobe.

MellonC

Reaction score
Need some style advice here. I want to purchase a somewhat style true outerwear for the frigid temps of southern California - we do dip down to lower 40's when there is winter rain.

Can you give it some critique between these three items? One of them is SM waxed jacket, which, let's admit it, is much like the Barbour waxed cotton jackets - including the inner layer - an awesome bargain!

The other one is the cotton waxed jacket from Peter Millar. this is a more modern take on the whole waxed cotton thing.....

Finally the last one is also from Peter Millar which is quilted fabric jacket also water resistant but historically not very accurate if we are really sticking with the whole Barbour thing.......

1638141956123.png

1638142078567.png

1638142355590.png

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointed most new SC offerings seem to be at the $500 mark.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some style advice here. I want to purchase a somewhat style true outerwear for the frigid temps of southern California - we do dip down to lower 40's when there is winter rain.

Can you give it some critique between these three items? One of them is SM waxed jacket, which, let's admit it, is much like the Barbour waxed cotton jackets - including the inner layer - an awesome bargain!

The other one is the cotton waxed jacket from Peter Millar. this is a more modern take on the whole waxed cotton thing.....

Finally the last one is also from Peter Millar which is quilted fabric jacket also water resistant but historically not very accurate if we are really sticking with the whole Barbour thing.......

View attachment 1711511
View attachment 1711512

View attachment 1711514

I Have Many Pieces From PM, But S$M Is Far More Superior In Quality And Pricing, Nordy Sells PM Sweaters for $285, I Get The Same Sweater At Marshall's $29, Peter Millar, They Do Have Nice Clothing, But No High Rise... :fistbump:

ULCajun

Reaction score
I may harp on a few of SM’s products and fits but I don’t believe I’ve ever had a better fitting shoe. The chukkas just fit like a glove.
I will say though that their shoe trees do not fit in these. I’ve had to use my AE trees

Attachments

• D462EE44-F703-44D6-899E-DB989A2E9B48.jpeg
    D462EE44-F703-44D6-899E-DB989A2E9B48.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 127

Scarlatti

Reaction score
Can somebody comment on the differences in collar width between sizes 38 and 40? Background: I usually wear a 38 contemporary but find it a bit restricting. While thinking about sizing up I'm concerned that the 40 collar might be too wide. Are there noticeable differences?

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the fresco neo suit pants as a part of a suit and the VBC fresco pants that aren't part of a suit? Do they fit the same?

Thanks in advance

SteveMc

Reaction score
Just a quick update. I ended up keeping the green corduroy. Initially, I wanted to return it cuz it didn't look right under artificial lighting but the color is actually very doable. I did do some mild surgery on this by my tailor: 1) made it action-backed with single center pleat (there a sewed up pleat inside the garment already) and 2) took in the sides a bit and 3) got rid of the belt loops and, of course, the belt - it made it look like a bathrobe.

We want pictures :p

Octobab

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the fresco neo suit pants as a part of a suit and the VBC fresco pants that aren't part of a suit? Do they fit the same?

Thanks in advance

They should be the exact same pants; Spier just lists them separate from one another for those who wants pants-only and to make size swaps possible with suit purchases.

While they do on occasion alter the cut, across a single season (you can tell by looking at the item code) all of the trousers of the same cut will fit roughly the same. EG if you have a grey fresco suit, and are looking at a pair of fresco high-rise trousers (the trouser cut for neo suits) in, say, green, you can expect them to fit the same.

Does that help?

Octobab

Reaction score

Nothing particularly against Peter Milar, but between their fabrics/cut/details, they end up giving off a very strong 'rich golf dad' kind of vibe - everything is always a little too sleek and shiney for it's own good. Granted, that's their explicit target audience, but still.

If you're into this kind of jacket, but don't like Spier's, I would take a look at either more heritage-oriented brands, many of which can be found used/vintage like Barbour, Belfast, Private White, etc. Just about every British brand makes some variant of these jackets.

If you're okay with something deliberately a bit rougher, I'd take a look at hunting/outdoor oriented brands; Bean, Ball & Buck, Orvis (who have a great Barbour collab this season), Filson, etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads