• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All heroes don't wear capes. Some wear chalk stripe suits. This is a beautiful suit. Wear in good health, sir.

Your pic convinced me to order this. Might just as well go full Al Capon though: DB configuration with besom pockets and traditional peak lapels.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All heroes don't wear capes. Some wear chalk stripe suits. This is a beautiful suit. Wear in good health, sir.

Your pic convinced me to order this. Might just as well go full Al Capon though: DB configuration with besom pockets and traditional peak lapels.
sounds awesome!

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watching how this plays out for you. We've chatted about MTO striped suits. I've had my eye on these striped offerings via MTO: HMS-101043-MTO-S and HMS-101044-MTO-S. Are you just looking at the flannel chalk striped suits?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching how this plays out for you. We've chatted about MTO striped suits. I've had my eye on these striped offerings via MTO: HMS-101043-MTO-S and HMS-101044-MTO-S. Are you just looking at the flannel chalk striped suits?
Yes. I just placed an order for both the navy and charcoal chalk stripe suits. Both in a DB tradtional peak lapel configuration with besom pockets. I personally prefer chalk stripes with a more substantial and fuzzier fabric like a flannel. From what I've understood, the chalk stripe suits I just ordered is a mix of woolen/worsted, which is the best of two worlds.

The ones you're looking at I'm not sure about: they seem to weight less (280 vs 340), aren't as fuzzy and I can't really decide the distane between the stripes from the pics? They look worsted? Also, my understanding from what I've read and from what some people on here have said is that the generic HMS fabrics are a hit or miss kind of decision.

BTW, I recall that you asked about my navy flannel SC before. Spier has just uploaded an offer that's very similar to mine in a VBC fabric. Check it out. Haris sent me a couple of pics of the fabric as well and it looks great: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---medium-gray-flannel-504-801-4-mto-j-copy-copy

Last edited:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any of the VBC chalkstripe suits currently offered through MTO? They're the same that we're offered RTW in 2018. Wondering how pronounced the chalkstripe is for both the navy and charcoal. Pics please if you have any of them.

You'll Love It!

20211010_235205 (1).jpg

20211010_232206.jpg

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I just placed an order for both the navy and charcoal chalk stripe suits. Both in a DB tradtional peak lapel configuration with besom pockets. I personally prefer chalk stripes with a more substantial and fuzzier fabric like a flannel. From what I've understood, the chalk stripe suits I just ordered is a mix of woolen/worsted, which is the best of two worlds.

The ones you're looking at I'm not sure about: they seem to weight less (280 vs 340), aren't as fuzzy and I can't really decide the distane between the stripes from the pics? They look worsted? Also, my understanding from what I've read and from what some people on here have said is that the generic HMS fabrics are a hit or miss kind of decision.

BTW, I recall that you asked about my navy flannel SC before. Spier has just uploaded an offer that's very similar to mine in a VBC fabric. Check it out. Haris sent me a couple of pics of the fabric as well and it looks great: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---medium-gray-flannel-504-801-4-mto-j-copy-copy
Sure the chalk stripes in flannel are a go. I just wish the weather here would permit me wearing such a beautifully flanneled suit.

I’d be up for a stripe in worsted, though chalk stripes in worsted are typically the business. Maybe I’m just holding out hope for a Neo in worsted pinstripe or some decent striped options that can be MTO in Neo.

HMS is Huddersfield, right? I thought they had a good reputation for fabric.

Reaction score
I think I saw @derekgrownmanstyle with one on his IG. It looked better in the video than in pictures IMO.

I don’t have a waistcoat just yet…but thanks for the prompt to start looking for one!
I think the fit is fine visually…only you can determine if you can be relatively comfortable in it until those pounds come off. I would probably leave 1-2 of the bottom buttons undone to taper the look more and also give you a little relief in the fit.

Click821

Reaction score
Going to grab a 40r slim fit in a Neopolitan cut sport coat. Just want to confirm this will be q good size. I'm 6 foot 160 lbs and wear a 15.5 33 extra slim SM dress shirt and it fits great. Thoughts?

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to grab a 40r slim fit in a Neopolitan cut sport coat. Just want to confirm this will be q good size. I'm 6 foot 160 lbs and wear a 15.5 33 extra slim SM dress shirt and it fits great. Thoughts?

Slim - Yes, :fistbump:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a waistcoat just yet…but thanks for the prompt to start looking for one!
I think the fit is fine visually…only you can determine if you can be relatively comfortable in it until those pounds come off. I would probably leave 1-2 of the bottom buttons undone to taper the look more and also give you a little relief in the fit.
Woops, that quote chain wasn't specific, my bad.

I meant I think I saw you wearing the rust tweed jacket from S&M, and it looked really nice in your IG video.

Reaction score
Woops, that quote chain wasn't specific, my bad.

I meant I think I saw you wearing the rust tweed jacket from S&M, and it looked really nice in your IG video.
Got it! Yes I love that jacket! I’m such a fan of their fabrics and their contemporary fit is perfect for my frame. I could go broke racking up on their jackets and overcoats.

MattyS

Reaction score
Sure the chalk stripes in flannel are a go. I just wish the weather here would permit me wearing such a beautifully flanneled suit.
I'm in the same situation. I love the look of chalk stripes, but I live in Abu Dhabi and wearing flannel here can cause one to burst into flames upon stepping outdoors, at least in the warmer months. That said, when I wear fresco, I end up freezing in the air conditioning, so really there's no winning!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks spectacular. Can't wait to get mine. Also looks like I'll need to find me a light gray flannel tie ?

I’d be up for a stripe in worsted, though chalk stripes in worsted are typically the business. Maybe I’m just holding out hope for a Neo in worsted pinstripe or some decent striped options that can be MTO in Neo.

HMS is Huddersfield, right? I thought they had a good reputation for fabric.
I'd try to find a pinstripe suit then, which I think is better suited for worsted.

Yes, HMS is Huddersfield. But from what I've understood not all fabrics are made equal. But don't quote me on that. That's what I've heard. I'm sure that there are people with more knowledge in this area. Besides, it's all relative. I'm sure they're still good fabrics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads