• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

t0ronto

Reaction score
Guys who bought and received gloves, did you get your normal glove size? Do they run small or large?

I need gloves, I just don’t need to mess around with a return of a $40 item.

Received them today. They fit like a normal glove size. Go to any store and try on the gloves there, then order that same size from Spier

Can anyone give a guess as to how warm the gloves might be? I'm wary that they'll be of little warmth/use in a Minnesota winter...

They're like any regular leather gloves, so not great for winter. Good for fall use up here in Canada, but once it's below -5 degrees the real winter gloves come out.

Kansai22

Reaction score
What’s up, guys? Its been a minute, I hope everyone is staying safe. Use code BF21 instead if BF2021 is invalid. This is directly from Rick, I just tried it and it worked for me. Happy Shopping!

Hey Vladimir, happy to see you back. Hoping that you start making videos again soon. Your videos exposed a lot of us to these great brands like Spier and MacKay and helped us to dress better.

Kancmg

Reaction score
do you already have a suit or a sportcoat that fits you well? If so, measure it and compare to the posted measurements on the website. I am guessing you are not a size 36. I am 5’10, 145 lb and I wear 36 contemporary. You are likely at least a 38–depending on your proportions you might be between a R and L length.
Thank you for your help.
Unfortunately the only suit I have now is from Boggi, size 46 EU and it is way too small for me now. In terms of lenght was ok. I have a Burberry trenchcoat in which I am a 48 EU (I suppose it would be a 38).
Of I can ask, how is your fit on the 36 contemporary?

Kancmg

Reaction score
Well, I'm 5'11 180lbs) S$M, 42R 36 Contp, Unless You're Bottom Heavy I Would Not Do 38 Contp, Possibly 38 Slim, Sorry, But Either You're 5'11 Or 6' You Can't Be Both, If You're 6' Go Long! :fonz:
Hi,
thanks a lot for your help.
I am almost 6' but my measurements tend to vary quite a bit.
In any case, sorry but English is not my first language and sometimes I may have some troubles: are you advicing me to go with a 36 contemporary or a 38 slim? Thanks.

NikG

Reaction score
Hi,
thanks a lot for your help.
I am almost 6' but my measurements tend to vary quite a bit.
In any case, sorry but English is not my first language and sometimes I may have some troubles: are you advicing me to go with a 36 contemporary or a 38 slim? Thanks.
Go 38 Slim or Contemporary. I'm 6'1 and 160lb and wear either 38 Slim or Contemporary with no issues. I'd assume you'd be fine with either as well. Or try one of each and keep the one you like, S&M are excellent with returns. Best of luck.

Kancmg

Reaction score
Go 38 Slim or Contemporary. I'm 6'1 and 160lb and wear either 38 Slim or Contemporary with no issues. I'd assume you'd be fine with either as well. Or try one of each and keep the one you like, S&M are excellent with returns. Best of luck.
Hey, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I can’t return them since I live in Europe and it would be very costly to order two of them, pay duties and then send back one.
You are a bit taller than me, because as I said in the previous post I am between 5’ 11’’ and 6’. Also I am a bit heavier than you at around 170 lbs. I am quite slim with an athletic build.

May I ask you, how do you compare contemporary with slim? I did my research but I couldn’t find a lot on this topic.

NikG

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I can’t return them since I live in Europe and it would be very costly to order two of them, pay duties and then send back one.
You are a bit taller than me, because as I said in the previous post I am between 5’ 11’’ and 6’. Also I am a bit heavier than you at around 170 lbs. I am quite slim with an athletic build.

May I ask you, how do you compare contemporary with slim? I did my research but I couldn’t find a lot on this topic.
Contemporary is a fuller cut. There's measurements on the website you can use to compare. I'd suggest measuring a jacket you have that fits well and go off of that. If the only jacket you have is the suit that's too small then measure that and see what size is similar and take next size up as appropriate.

Kancmg

Reaction score
Contemporary is a fuller cut. There's measurements on the website you can use to compare. I'd suggest measuring a jacket you have that fits well and go off of that. If the only jacket you have is the suit that's too small then measure that and see what size is similar and take next size up as appropriate.
I think I will go to my tailor to get measured correctly, since I am usually a disaster with measures.
The only doubt I have now is between contemporary and slim. I want to look formal but not excessively. I am not a fan of the tight waist of the slim too.

MattyS

Reaction score
I think I will go to my tailor to get measured correctly, since I am usually a disaster with measures.
The only doubt I have now is between contemporary and slim. I want to look formal but not excessively. I am not a fan of the tight waist of the slim too.
I believe the suggestion people are making is to measure your garments, not your body.

Last edited:

5tranger

Reaction score
I'm gonna suggest to go with 38R Contemporary, I'm also 5'11 and around 165lbs and the 38R Contemporary off the rack measurements happen to fit spot on that I even used the exact measurements for an MTO jacket. Good luck!

Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
I have a pair of flannel single pleat pants that I wish were a little wider at the bottom. I remember someone saying that they had a tailor widen the leg a bit. Is this worth it and is it expensive to do? Mine already are cuffed so I don’t know if it would be worth it.
Look at the inside and see how much seam allowance is available. It is usually not enough to make much of a difference.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the inside and see how much seam allowance is available. It is usually not enough to make much of a difference.
It’s not a difficult alteration but RTW trousers rarely have enough seam inlay to be able to widen the leg by much at all. You might get 0.25” max.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't grabbed it but very tempted, it's a great colour and cloth, I believe @James1051 has it
Me too. The fact it's a herringbone tweed adds to it appeal. It should go well with basically any colour. I'm envisioning it with navy, green, brown, dark gray, charcoal.

If @James1051 has it he should treat us with some pics.

Some inspiration
1000.jpeg
1000 (1).jpeg
1000 (2).jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads