• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Birdseye View!

20211026_205203.jpg

20211026_205030.jpg

20211026_205045.jpg

SteveMc

Reaction score
Style question. Do you think it will be 'acceptable' to go without cuffs for S&M's reverse single pleat high-rise trousers?

I am 6' 1" (185cm) tall, but my inseam is only 30". When I told my tailor I wanted a 2" cuff, he said:

1. it won't match well with the single reverse pleat for this pants
2. My proportion is not ideal for a 2" cuff and it will make me look bottom heavy.
3. He suggested a half break hem instead.

I'm quite new to classical menswear and this is my first venture into high-rise/pleated pants. So I'm ready for a good lecturing.

A personal preference IMO.

I'm 183 cm tall with the same inseam as you and I do 4.5cm cuffs (about 1.75") for all my trousers including with pleats.

I like cuffs because it adds some wait to the bottom of the trousers and they drape better.

Single reverse pleats high-rise trousers with 1.75" cuff:
S&M trousers and shirt.

1635407824705.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually a little averse to getting the sharkskin because of the shine, but this model has no shine at all. I love it; one of my favourite suits,
That has been my hesitation exactly. It looks like a great mid gray fabric. Do you have the product code?

ElliotG

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered, but I stopped keeping track of this thread for a minute, and there's too much to catch up on...

I'm noticing that for New Arrivals there are no new suits (except for the POW "coming soon") and all the sportcoats are Made To Order. Is this the new normal for SM? Or is it a pandemic supply chain issue? Can we expect future drops of RTW suits and sportcoats, or are those days behind us?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered, but I stopped keeping track of this thread for a minute, and there's too much to catch up on...

I'm noticing that for New Arrivals there are no new suits (except for the POW "coming soon") and all the sportcoats are Made To Order. Is this the new normal for SM? Or is it a pandemic supply chain issue? Can we expect future drops of RTW suits and sportcoats, or are those days behind us?

Behind starting this season. You just need to look at the unsold stock in the sale section of all CM online stores to see where this is heading. I've purchased what is probably my last suit / sportjacket in this lifetime 2 months ago and not looking back. Heck I wear whatever I want but it's getting silly when everyone else is wearing far more casual clothes or just plain modern clothes. Plus honestly the impact just wasn't as great as pre-pandemic. Now they treat me just as good as the old uncles wearing polos so time for a style change anyway.

PS: It's better to do things MTO or MTM anyway as it should have been with CM jackets that should have been bespoke anyway.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually a little averse to getting the sharkskin because of the shine, but this model has no shine at all. I love it; one of my favourite suits,
Sharkskin gets a bad rap because cheap sharkskin fabric looks shiny. It’s also called pick-and-pick. When properly done there is no real sheen; after all, it’s just a weave. I think it gives just enough surface texture to liven up a conservative mid grey fabric without being as noticeable as birdseye, for example.

Brennenman

Reaction score
Behind starting this season. You just need to look at the unsold stock in the sale section of all CM online stores to see where this is heading.
I don’t think this fully portrays the situation we are in for the following reasons:
1 look at all the stuff that’s already sold out this season
2 I just looked at Nike and jcrew as well as banana republic and they still have plenty of stuff on sale from last season so I don’t think it’s just cm
3 I have suits in the store in the store from the late nineties, sometimes it’s just the piece of clothing
I acknowledge and accept the fact cm is dying, I just don’t think it’s as rapid of a decline as some people make it out to be. That’s just my 2 cents though

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think this fully portrays the situation we are in for the following reasons:
1 look at all the stuff that’s already sold out this season
2 I just looked at Nike and jcrew as well as banana republic and they still have plenty of stuff on sale from last season so I don’t think it’s just cm
3 I have suits in the store in the store from the late nineties, sometimes it’s just the piece of clothing
I acknowledge and accept the fact cm is dying, I just don’t think it’s as rapid of a decline as some people make it out to be. That’s just my 2 cents though

1. Sold after massive discounts. If they're really doing well at msrp then we'll see more otr suits on SM's site.
2. They make a **** load more clothes and have different biz strategy. Incomparable.
3. Pop needs someone with better biz sense to get rid of NOS and free up capital to retire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads