• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brown Tweed over shirt arrived
Really like the fit and the material is very soft - not itchy at all
5A26645B-A382-4CBB-9009-2BB75D9CB4B5.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the moleskin field jacket. It slots in as another mid-weight jacket. I also have a suede overshirt, which is more of a lightweight jacket, and obviously isn't intended for rainy weather. I have a corduroy bomber that doesn't cover my butt. I have a quilted nylon jacket that just has a whole different look. So I'm wearing my S&M field jacket today, when it's low 50's and too rainy for my suede jacket. I could easily wear one of my other jackets, but I just thought this one looked cool and really liked the color. The moleskin version is certainly heavy enough to handle sub-freezing temps with a sweater on underneath, but yeah, it's not going to be as warm as an overcoat. Like roughly 95% of my clothing purchases, this isn't something that can be justified based on "need" if you've already got mid-weight outerwear.
Moleskin field jacket seems to read close enough as a classic M-65 field jacket

The Transitional Field Jacket – Put This On

Hopefully that helps.

Another alternative is wearing something like an OCBD, long sleeve cardigan underneath, chinos, work boots.

Sort of like reddit r/MFA's "Basic Bastard" uniform of years ago if that makes sense.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of field jackets, how do you guys wear them? I love how the fabrics look, especially the tweeds, but I'm having trouble figuring out where these jackets would fit into my wardrobe. If it's cold I'd rather wear a nice overcoat. But the fabric seems too heavy to wear in warmer weather, and I already have jackets for those in-between days.
I agree with @reidrothchild, it is definitely a mid-weight jacket option for those not so cool days, but not cold enough for an overcoat. Though, I find it works quite well for layering. Throw a quilted vest over a button down under it, or over an OCBD and a merino crew neck sweater. Once it gets very cold wind chill, it will be put on the hanger for a while.

JFK-esque

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to wash the one-year or two-year wash denim yet? I wonder if I should expect any shrinkage to warrant a size up. Right now, the Contemp 31 fits just right, any shrinkage will make the legs tight.
did you get them hemmed by Spier?

moodyf1

Reaction score
I seem to recall it was just their “original duffle toggle coat”. I don’t know, I got it off Gilt for $120 5-6 years ago- all I know is it’s TTS in size 38, made in England, and super comfortable. Less warm than the S&M tweed polo coat, but it has the advantage of a hood.

none of that helps regarding the S&M version, but I assume it’s similar and would be worth it.

Nah it definitely helps. I'm looking forward to trying out the SM version - just waiting for a good sale to bring the price down a bit. Might buy two sizes and return the one that doesn't fit as well.

I had one from the first go around. I also like the style as it's rugged enough to wear with jeans but dressy enough to wear with dress pants.

Is it more of a regular fit or a slim fit? How has it held up over the years? If it's alright with you I may send you a PM to ask a bit more about it.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah it definitely helps. I'm looking forward to trying out the SM version - just waiting for a good sale to bring the price down a bit. Might buy two sizes and return the one that doesn't fit as well.

Is it more of a regular fit or a slim fit? How has it held up over the years? If it's alright with you I may send you a PM to ask a bit more about it.

Sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics