• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overcoat post, and picture heavy. This is the size 38R trench coat (which is my usual jacket size). I have my Neo hopsack underneath with the quilted liner and there’s plenty of room for movement, so I assume there would be slightly more without the liner. I could stand maybe another inch to the sleeves, but I can see about getting those let out. Expensive by S&M standards, but I’ve been wanting a Burberry-style trench for years, and this is arguably equal to it for a fraction of the price Also, due to comments about proportions, I included my head and feet (though my head is blacked out):
636F3D65-AD68-4339-BAD1-5F128A1DD5A0.jpeg

31FE7491-D59E-4A17-BDB6-1A76DA3F1FAB.jpeg

Collar up:
6B3A1180-8CC5-4E07-A78E-FF95398D5C56.jpeg

this is the only hangup- not sure how to get the buckle on the left wrist cinch to lay flat:
C5EA3145-9591-4A7B-9B15-2B2B587BA9A5.jpeg

Following up on the Ulster- I haven’t gotten it pressed, but a lot of the wrinkles have fallen out from it hanging in the closet (and I have a tie on this time). Still slightly boxy, but I may have the waist taken in a bit. We’ll see:
61411367-D6A5-4639-9F9B-130FE621AF31.jpeg

41F51E22-34C8-4239-88FF-6644F2C49B98.jpeg

Edit: meant to add on the Ulster- I get it’s not super tailored, but I like how much latitude it gives me for layering. If it’s truly cold, I could easily wear a heavy Harris Tweed jacket under this. Not remotely an option with my more tailored overcoats.

Last edited:

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Posting a picture of an undarted jacket to show it doesn’t have to be boxy. There is clear curvature from shoulders to hips. Also, wearing a Spier Mackay shirt. Lightweight white oxford.

That’s a great looking jacket. Also, I’ll point out that Sid Mashburn has been doing some undarted jackets for awhile, which are said to be quite contemporary fitting and not boxy.

[/QUOTE]
So when are these chore jackets and suede truckers going to be revealed? It's already almost November and I doubt I'll be able to wear them come Winter
I’ve been waiting on the chore jackets too. Really curious what they’ll look like. I feel like the “3-pocket overshirts” that already dropped seem like a chore coat, so that makes me even more curious what the real chore coats will look like. I was speculating earlier that they might have lapels bc i believe Rick was calling them “chore blazers”’awhile back

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a great looking jacket. Also, I’ll point out that Sid Mashburn has been doing some undarted jackets for awhile, which are said to be quite contemporary fitting and not boxy.

I used to (years back) spend a lot of time on AAAC, where undarted sacks were the only “acceptable” jacket. My first one was a beautiful vintage Corbin that fit great everywhere, except I hated how boxy it was. That was where I determined that a true “sack” fit just wasn’t my thing. I had the sides taken in and it turned out to be one of my favorite jackets.

point being, I think jackets with all the “trad-correct” details work best with a little shape.

moodyf1

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the community but have been lurking for a while. What does everyone think of this coat?

Contemplating buying one but not sure if there is a better bang for the buck out there. I did look at Gloverall and other brands but I think I do want one that has a zipper so it seems like SM and Brooks Brothers are the easiest available options.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the community but have been lurking for a while. What does everyone think of this coat?

Contemplating buying one but not sure if there is a better bang for the buck out there. I did look at Gloverall and other brands but I think I do want one that has a zipper so it seems like SM and Brooks Brothers are the easiest available options.

I have a Gloverall (without the zipper, just a single snap under the toggles). I can’t speak to the Spier one, but I love the style of jacket. It works well with everything from jeans and a sweater to a sportcoat/dress pants. It’s kind of like wearing a big heavy blanket

moodyf1

Reaction score
I have a Gloverall (without the zipper, just a single snap under the toggles). I can’t speak to the Spier one, but I love the style of jacket. It works well with everything from jeans and a sweater to a sportcoat/dress pants. It’s kind of like wearing a big heavy blanket
Which Gloverall one did you pick and how is the fit? And yeah, I like the versatility of the jackets. It's by far my favorite type of coat to use in the colder seasons

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the sweaters are shipping? It appears that most of them arrived over the week-end but even those which had "expected shipping dates" for the 22 haven't shipped yet. I understand they might be dealing with a lot of orders, which is why I ask. Perhaps some of you have received shipping confirmations.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to wash the one-year or two-year wash denim yet? I wonder if I should expect any shrinkage to warrant a size up. Right now, the Contemp 31 fits just right, any shrinkage will make the legs tight.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Gloverall one did you pick and how is the fit? And yeah, I like the versatility of the jackets. It's by far my favorite type of coat to use in the colder seasons

I seem to recall it was just their “original duffle toggle coat”. I don’t know, I got it off Gilt for $120 5-6 years ago- all I know is it’s TTS in size 38, made in England, and super comfortable. Less warm than the S&M tweed polo coat, but it has the advantage of a hood.

none of that helps regarding the S&M version, but I assume it’s similar and would be worth it.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was where I determined that a true “sack” fit just wasn’t my thing. I had the sides taken in and it turned out to be one of my favorite jackets.

point being, I think jackets with all the “trad-correct” details work best with a little shape.

There is a common and enduring misconception that a "sack" jacket should be shapeless and boxy, like a sack.

A sack jacket is not so-called because it is shaped like a sack. It's called that because it has a two-piece back with a single seam running down the middle dividing the two pieces, like the two pieces of cloth that make up a sack.

This piece from Vox's blog explains it well:

Simply because a sack jacket lacks front darts does not mean it must be boxy or shapeless (as AAS' pic ably demonstrates).

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to wash the one-year or two-year wash denim yet? I wonder if I should expect any shrinkage to warrant a size up. Right now, the Contemp 31 fits just right, any shrinkage will make the legs tight.
I asked Rick this before picking a hem option. He said they are pre-washed so shouldn’t see much shrinkage with a cold wash, air dry. Maybe 1cm in the length.

SteveMc

Reaction score

Haven't wash mine yet. From my experience, denim does shrink a bit in the washer, but then expands back on the body.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads