• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huxley

Reaction score
I've tried the some of the older Zanieri coats in store, and I have the single breasted charcoal coat (and I also live in the GTA.) You'll definitely get more warmth out of the Zanieri coat. I find that if I'm layering a dress shirt + suit/sportscoat jacket + overcoat, I really don't need that extra warmth so I stuck with the charcoal coat. I probably wouldn't wear just a t-shirt and the charcoal coat mid-winter in the GTA but I would feel fine wearing just a shirt and the Zanieri coat.
Appreciate the reply; thank you. Did you happen to size up or purchase your regular jacket size?

I haven't tried the charcoal single breasted since I own one from somewhere else, but I just received the grey herringbone polo coat about a week ago and can only say WOW, just WOW. It is definitely a show-stopper, so act accordingly. If you want to call attention by having the top/overcoat (depending on whether you order your size or go up) with the most swagger in the neighborhood, then by all means go for the polo coat. It is thick, the pattern is super oversized, and the construction is spectacular. I went with my size and it fits trim, extremely flattering, but I can also fit a SC underneath. The gusset in the back really helps with mobility, but the half-belt/martingala is definitely just for show and a purely stylistic element, which I love. The charcoal single breasted is, however, more conservative and probably more versatile/discrete. I am thrilled by my purchase, but I live in the village in nyc, a block away from soho, and it pleases to know that not too many people will be sporting it in this already highly stylish (but extremely casual) community.

If I needed a nudge in favour of the polo, this was certainly what I was looking for. It is hard to pass up the polo after have my thoughts regarding the beauty of this piece affirmed. Thanks for your response.

Given my field, I generally tend to err on the conservative side of attire; however, I do not see the polo as so “out there” that I would be out of place. This balance really has a lot of draw for me.

Any regrets in going with your usual jacket size? I would prefer the coat be more on the trim side, but as I would almost invariably wearing a suit under it, I would not want to be too encumbered.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on the new trench coat with Spier turtleneck and Moon tweed guncheck sport coat underneath. Excuse the unboxing wrinkles.

The armholes could be a tad wider for a smoother pull through but after a slight adjustment it’s fine. A corduroy sport coat was more difficult. Smoother and thinner fabrics should be a breeze.

So far, happy with the fit. Fabric is hefty. Even hanging it up felt like a bicep curl lol.

I wear 40R contemporary jackets and took the same 40 for this coat.
View attachment 1690812 View attachment 1690813 View attachment 1690814 View attachment 1690815
thanks for posting the photos
Wow, that interior liner looks hefty!
Even with, you felt your normal size was roomy enough for the tweed?
Looks like about knee length on you?

Imperatores

Reaction score
Man, I quite like the look of a trench coat in a vacuum, but all of the unfortunate connotations are hard to get past. Everything from Inspector Gadget to cringy mall ninjas or weirdos flashing you in the park.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for posting the photos
Wow, that interior liner looks hefty!
Even with, you felt your normal size was roomy enough for the tweed?
Looks like about knee length on you?
Yep. Had enough room to feel comfortable in my regular size 40R contemporary jacket. I also tried the Moss sport coat underneath yesterday which was harder to adjust through the arm holes.

I would say around knee or below for me. I’ll have to double check.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grey stripe BD with the oatmeal jacket is terrific! I am so stealing that pairing!

Killing it as always Mr. Step! dang that burnt orange vest looks terrific with the green tie.
Have to add that vest to my already ridiculously long list for FW!

Last year many guys sized down, as they ran a bit long if I recall. I am also 6'2", 44L, will probably take my normal size, XL, as I like a looser fit, but I think a size L would work fine for a closer fit.

The Q I have about the chunky cardigans is, where do you wear them outside the house? Do you wear them out for dinner or to the bar? Wouldn't really work for me at the office

Yes, but per Rick, expect it to feel a bit closer fitting than the same size merino crewneck, because the cotton doesn't stretch as much
Thank you Sir! :fistbump:

acg2010

Reaction score
Anyone else received one of the striped shirts with weird spots near the buttonholes. Ordered the green striped italian collar one and now the red stripe one and both have the same issue. Don't want to launder them to see if it comes out because then they can't be returned. Any thoughts?

Hudson

Reaction score
Help needed on purchasing a neo cut sportcoat in contemporary vs slim fit.

When I purchased a couple S&M two button sportcoats two or three years ago I was somewhat inbetween a contemporary and slim fit.

But is the Neo made in such a way that makes it inherently bigger or smaller than the 2 button models?

Should I order a Neo in slim or contemporary?

thanks for your help and advice!

Here's an interesting take on it that I found had merit:

I'm sticking with the 40R Contemporary and having the waist taken in as well as the sleeves shortened. Like I said earlier, as much as I'm in LOVE with how the 40R drapes and tapers on my torso, the tightness across the back and under the armpits just gives me that gut feeling of "you won't be happy with this...this is going to bother you".

I think for ANYONE on the fence between Contemporary and Slim, I'm confident enough to give this as a simple guide:

Do you have wide shoulders, a broad chest, developed lats, spend a lot of time picking up heavy **** and putting it back down? Do you eat a truckload of chicken, broccoli and protein shakes daily? Is your chest to waist drop pretty drastic? Go Contemporary Fit and tailor.

Do you have a lithe body that has minimal drop from chest to waist? Are you the type of tall and trim dude that rocks the hell out of the SLP look? Go Slim Fit and tailor.

From personal experience, this rings true. The neo cut - even the contemporary -- has higher armholes than S&M's other cuts. Because of my large upper arms, I'm not a fan of them for this reason. For most others, this shouldn't be a problem. Quite the opposite, in fact. Otherwise, I'd say the fit is pretty similar, neither larger or smaller.

Reactions: AHS

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else received one of the striped shirts with weird spots near the buttonholes. Ordered the green striped italian collar one and now the red stripe one and both have the same issue. Don't want to launder them to see if it comes out because then they can't be returned. Any thoughts?
Pictures!

acg2010

Reaction score
Pictures!

Easier to see in person, but it's very odd.

IMG_9757.jpg
IMG_9756.jpg

acg2010

Reaction score
I don't think you or anyone else is going to notice a spot like that from a normal distance away lol

On this one not so much. The green one that's being returned had actual black almost like you'd find from a tailors marks for where to put the buttonholes. (They may be tailors marks)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads