• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brennenman

Reaction score
Overcoats are always sized to accommodate a jacket or thick sweater underneath, unlike a topcoat. But this year some of these are cut wider, and some items like regular overcoats seem slimmer, making a complete mess for people who thought they know their proper fit and size.
Imagine not how much of a headache it is for those who don’t know their proper fit, imagine that a huge overcoat with skin tight tweed trousers? heck that jacket would would go to my ankles

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

Never understood the sack jacket.

Let's get rid of darts to make the jacket's pattern look cleaner, then add flaps on top of chunky patch pockets to add more visual mass to the waist. I've seen dartless jackets, and the waist actually ends up looking messier too with no darts.

Hook vent which is even more difficult to fit for most people if they have a big behind.

More options for particular aesthetics is good though, kudos to S&M.

Don't think the lack of the dart is to look cleaner. It's just a different silhouette. I think it's a nice balance between professional and casual. More work appropriate than a Neapolitan jacket (well, maybe not today) and more casual than something British.
1634853008544.png

1634853074544.png

1634853206102.png

1634853395326.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think the lack of the dart is to look cleaner. It's just a different silhouette. I think it's a nice balance between professional and casual. More work appropriate than a Neapolitan jacket (well, maybe not today) and more casual than something British.
View attachment 1689900
View attachment 1689903
View attachment 1689924
View attachment 1689925
Hey not bad, it is definitely a different silhouette, thanks for posting more pictures.

I'm not sure if the silhouette is for me, but I did roast the Neo silhouette years ago and that's all I wear now.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You being my gold standard for Americana CM: what are your initial impressions of the silhouette and styling details?
I like the general silhouette. A few issues. The chest pocket looks too small. The front buttons should be further apart. In general, I find S&M hip patch pockets to be kind of small. Not huge issues.

BomTrady

Reaction score
@BomTrady: Did your comment get lost somehow? I don't see anything other than your quotation.

How? I'm saying that everything needs to be just right to make it work, and gave an example of what that looks like. The cost doesn't factor into it. If you need to spend Liverano money to get there, then that's just how it is. It's entirely possible for somebody else to get similar results by being lucky and well proportioned for a RTW coat, though. You don't necessarily need cashmere and handwork to get there. The same thing applies to tailoring more generally (but with more room for error). There's plenty of guys that looks just as good in a $400 RTW sportcoat (just look at some of the regular posters in this very thread) as somebody else in their $5000 Anderson & Sheppard. It's about the end result, not how you get there.

Depends on what sweater styles you're looking at. The regular merino sweaters are quite trim, while the cable knits and the deep v-neck are more forgiving. I'm also a size 38, and the normal merino sweaters in S are very close-fitting and revealing on me, but not uncomfortably tight or anything (M is a bit too loose and long). The cable knits in S fits me almost perfectly, other than the length being about 2 cm longer than I'd prefer.
@Imperatores hahaha....my computer crashed as I was typing, but I was just going to agree with you, that's all. You said it best!

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay were the necks on cardigans or deep-Vs narrowed at all this year? I found last years to be too wide, couldn't keep a collar underneath the L/R sides

ShibuiC

Reaction score
From IG story. Let’s talk. It has a hook vent as well according to Rick.

My oh my. At first glance I couldn't find the 3rd button hole but I think I see it barely peeking out. Would be surprised if the 3r2 detail was missed. Agreed re the chest pocket. Just needs gold buttons!!

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Now that they’ve shown us it exists: I hope they add sack jacket to MTO options without it being a “add it all to the notes and hope” type of thing. I’ve got a semi-sack in process but I’d love to just click sack jacket and a few options. There’s a few of the newer MTO options that’d probably look great in sack form.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
The new sack looks great. I agree the chest pocket looks kind of small. I’m sure we’d all make some tweaks to our liking, but in general this is fantastic news. Beggars can’t be choosers and this overall looks very sharp!

Hudson

Reaction score
I'm seeing some Cotton Shawl Collar Cardigans on the website, looks like the code is for Fall Winter 2021, but it wasn't in previewed in the "new arrivals" page. Odd. Wish there was a dark green...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads