• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dench127

Reaction score
Are the camel ulsters still much darker than the color in the pictures?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks excellent from the front. I know it needs a press, but that back belt seems off to me. Maybe it’s too high. It hangs down as opposed to going straight across.

It’s at my natural waist, so I think it’s positioned correctly, but I might have the buttons moved so it’s at least more flush. Very easy fix though.

but yeah, definitely needs to get the wrinkles out lol

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the camel ulsters still much darker than the color in the pictures?

these pics are pretty accurate, it’s basically identical to the prior DB coat (if you’ve seen it in person). The lighter portions (right side of the pics) are the closest

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also dig the main reverse back pleat that carries over from the polo coats, with the additional side pleats gathered at the belt.

Very cool effect.

The bottom vent seems to splay open, which could be cleaned up. Not sure if it's a design issue, or the waist is too snug.

The polo coat I bought from S&M had vent flare issues. There was material to let out in the waist and the issue was fixed.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also dig the main reverse back pleat that carries over from the polo coats, with the additional side pleats gathered at the belt.

Very cool effect.

The bottom vent seems to splay open, which could be cleaned up. Not sure if it's a design issue, or the waist is too snug.

The polo coat I bought from S&M had vent flare issues. There was material to let out in the waist and the issue was fixed.

definitely doesn’t need the waist let out- there’s a lot of room as is. I think the wrinkles are having an effect, but all my overcoats do the same thing. I think it’s just the nature of the fabric.

the back pleat is neat, it’s definitely a throwback to traditional polo coats (and functional- ive loved it on the tweed polo coat)

Last edited:

Devis4u

Reaction score
Received my gray herringbone polo coat. 40R contemporary, 175lb 6'0, and it fits great without a jacket when the belt is tightened and with a jacket (40R contemporary) in the default position. Heavier than I may end up needing in Texas, but man is it gorgeous. Can't wait for it to get colder.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Received my gray herringbone polo coat. 40R contemporary, 175lb 6'0, and it fits great without a jacket when the belt is tightened and with a jacket (40R contemporary) in the default position. Heavier than I may end up needing in Texas, but man is it gorgeous. Can't wait for it to get colder.
Pics, please! Considering this one also!

motorchang

Reaction score
Hello all.

Been away for a while cause my main interest has been shifted to fitness for the past month, which resulted in requiring massive amount of alteration to most of my trousers as they all got way big in the waist, which didn't come in cheap ? It's been a costly journey so I'm definitely slowing down.

Anyway, today was a full autumn vibes with all Spier except tie. Jacket and flannel pants from last FW, lightweight oxford. Only new piece is the burgundy sleeveless cardigan. These are very nice. Length is perfect for high rise trousers.

IMG_3439 2.JPG

IMG_3438 2.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

palandar

Reaction score
As soon as I saw it, I was totally conviced to get the ulster coat but the photos posted on the previous pages have slightly put me off.
I understand that an overcoat requires a full cut, but honestly this seems to have an excess of fabric around the waist and chest. The overall shape is not flattering imho.
Perhaps nothing that a good tailor cannot fix, but I'm still hesitant, as I love the style and lenght of the garment.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw the merino LS polos posted. What was everyone's feedback on those from prior years? $68 almost seems impossibly low for this type of thing....am I missing something?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw the merino LS polos posted. What was everyone's feedback on those from prior years? $68 almost seems impossibly low for this type of thing....am I missing something?
I have them, love them, just ordered more.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them, love them, just ordered more.

Size up one from normal size or TTS? My normal size seems like it would end up being close to form fitting, which is a non-starter for me.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw it, I was totally conviced to get the ulster coat but the photos posted on the previous pages have slightly put me off.
I understand that an overcoat requires a full cut, but honestly this seems to have an excess of fabric around the waist and chest. The overall shape is not flattering imho.
Perhaps nothing that a good tailor cannot fix, but I'm still hesitant.

If you order your normal size, there's enough room for a jacket underneath while giving you the ability to move around. The DB overcoat from a couple years ago might have looked more tailored, but doing something like driving with it on was pretty constricting.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size up one from normal size or TTS? My normal size seems like it would end up being close to form fitting, which is a non-starter for me.
I'm 6' 170, fairly lean and I order medium. That gives me a close, hug my body fit which I like.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6' 170, fairly lean and I order medium. That gives me a close, hug my body fit which I like.

Thanks. what's your chest size in sport coats?

I'm a 42 (really 41) and I was going to size up to XL to avoid them being tight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads