• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a conversation I started. Haha! Anyways, I still really like the coat. I also do agree length is a bit longer for my taste, but I would like a longer overcoat that falls below the knee and also doesnt drop too low. Winters in New England and in the Midwest have made me appreciate a longer overcoat. I also apologize for the “rushed” after work picture of the garment on. Was pretty excited to try it on.

Anyways, I have rather large shoulders and child-bearing hips. Genetic and gym curse. In this case, the shoulders of the Ulster do fit exactly where they need to be. No bunching, or rippling and seam is right at my shoulder with and without a suit coat on underneath. The length of the sleeves are excessive OTR, and will need alterations, as well as the waist and length if the coat overall. Based off that, I am going to exchange for a 44. Based off the measurement guide on the website it is only a difference .5” in the Shoulder, with chest and waist coming down a bit as well. I suppose we’ll see.

My pictures are **** 99% of the time so don't mind me lol. Before you exchange, I would try on a sportcoat or suit jacket underneath the coat (or a thick sweater) to see how it fits. If you feel that there is still lots of room to move around, then going down a size may be beneficial. The coat and the length looks wicked cool.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really buy the functionality argument, to be honest. I live in one of the coldest climates on the planet, yet I have never once felt like I needed the tiny bit of extra leg warmth a longer coat would provide. The impracticality of brushing against stuff with the bottom of the coat makes it overall less functional than a knee length (or shorter) coat in my view, even if it's slightly warmer. This argument holds a bit more water (heh) when discussing trench coats, but even then I don't see any real functionality argument for a coat that's longer than just below the knee. It's fine to like these coats for their look alone. No need to attempt to justify it with functionality arguments.

If you think about it, clothing made in the past was made less for fashionable purposes and more for functional purposes. Longer coats did serve for warmth back then. Today's clothing is mostly for fashion because we generally live comfortable lives throughout the seasons where we don't have to experience the harsh realities of the weather for more than ten minutes at a time.

Personally speaking, I do feel the added warmth of longer coats. There's less cold air sneaking in compared to shorter length coats. I prefer not to wear long-johns even in the -30 plus windchill bitter cold of Canadian winters.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below the knee.

To add, it seems like people don't want cosplay here.

I assert that anything outside out of strict business casual of shirt and trousers is cosplay.

To me, the word no longer holds any meaning.

Safaro jacket? Colonialist re-enactor
Suit? Wanna-be CEO
Shawl cardigan? British grandpa
Peacoat? Sailor costume
Tweed polo coat? Peaky Blinders extra

Pick your poison, because anything outside of the strictly boring business casual is cosplay/costume to at least someone else.

Might as well have fun with it then.
Completely agree with this. You don't want to stand out in the crowd? Then wear exactly what everyone else is wearing and be satisfied with business casual. You want to have fun in the hobby? Then Spier & Mackay have been offering some cool stuff, but you're going to have to own it.

I haven't bought anything since April this year, but I decided to buy the moleskin field jacket. Looks like another awesome addition to my ever growing field/safari collection.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fellas I am ordering brown tweed MTO and am thinking of going with 3 working button holes instead of the default 4? would any of you argue against it?

I did 1 instead. A single hole is just more modern and makes more sense in today's casual setting which is what a brown tweed is about.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone arguing about the number of buttons on a jacket sleeve doesn't have a leg to stand on. Anything from 1 to 5 is acceptable in various spheres. 2 to 4 being the most common. I'm personally a fan of two. Do what makes you happy.

Disagreed. Too many buttons look silly on guys with shorter arms especially if it has elbow patches. Watch the proportions.

nzahir

Reaction score
You may be able to try 15 Extra Slim compared to a 14.5 ‘Contemp’. If that doesn’t work, then I’d say custom is the way to go for you my friend
You might be right, I will give them a call later today, thanks

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also received the Ulster coat in navy. Don’t size up; it does fit TTS over a sport coat. Just below the knee for me (size 36, 5,10”
2C60313A-6E7E-4734-B4ED-D3AFDA148133.jpeg
42C9461D-13E1-4342-AF58-45F64E0F7547.jpeg

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd. The polo coats are definitely a size up for me (wear 38 jacket and a 38 coat didn’t fit really with a thick sweater or a jacket)

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd. The polo coats are definitely a size up for me (wear 38 jacket and a 38 coat didn’t fit really with a thick sweater or a jacket)

Spier mentioned the Ulsters are deliberately oversized so as to fit over tailoring

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! Keep it coming if you find other real life pictures of the overcoat fabrics.
For sure. Here is another excuse to post my oversized coat on SF I had made from my tailor. This fabric is up on MTO.

I asked Rick last year if these really nice M&E fabrics would be available for MTO, and the mad lad actually went through with it. Thank you to him for being so consistently receptive for the community.

S1005-15588-C3 "Marling & Evans - Cream & Brown Glen Check"

20210305-150242-HDR.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s class. Looks amazing. Beautiful piece.

It’s obviously a bit challenging for S&M but I’d love to see mock ups of the cloth in the MTO section.
Thanks man, it definitely ended up being an Apparel Arts type of coat.

Agreed on mock ups of cloth, I've no doubt people would be willing to spend $1000CAD on a coat like this.

S&M is also great with pattern matching, but I am curious if raglan pattern matching at the sleeve would be an issue.

Imperatores

Reaction score
For sure. Here is another excuse to post my oversized coat on SF I had made from my tailor. This fabric is up on MTO.

I asked Rick last year if these really nice M&E fabrics would be available for MTO, and the mad lad actually went through with it. Thank you to him for being so consistently receptive for the community.

S1005-15588-C3 "Marling & Evans - Cream & Brown Glen Check"

20210305-150242-HDR.jpg

You know what, I actually quite like that. This is one of only a handful of times I've thought somebody genuinely pulled off a Balmacaan. Looks much better than the Ulster coats so far. I still wouldn't wear this myself, but you're owning it here.

Also, no #menswear look is complete without the pink phone case :D

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The description for polo coats do say to size up if you’re planning to wear a suit or sportscoat underneath.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads