• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I wish on the more expensive pieces they used real horn. Like on a pair of chinos, yea ok I'm fine with the faux horn. Though, if I am already spending $300 on a cardigan or something, I'll pay the extra $10 for real horn buttons.

Absolutely. It also helps that the buttons on a pair of chinos or something similar is much smaller. It's the large buttons on the shawl cardigans, overshirts, previous field jackets etc. that really stands out in a bad way.

I can share a picture of the new burgundy corduroy overshirt, and the blue tweed overshirt. Both these are mediums, and I'm 5'10" and 163 lbs (I wear a 38 contemp. or 40 slim jacket).

I really like the colours and the thick, soft fabric. There's a lot of room in the chest and waist for me, but I like the length and the shoulder, so I'm not sure a size small would be better. Maybe I'll get it tailored to slim the body a bit, if it feels boxy.
View attachment 1687330
View attachment 1687331
View attachment 1687335
View attachment 1687336

Looks great! Especially the corduroy. How does the armhole and sleeve width feel to you? How scratchy and heavy is the tweed?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's cold weather required a donegal overcoat, scarf and gloves (and, uncommon for me, a wool tie). Polo coat and SC are S&M.
IMG_20211018_074236_edit_830884479907068.jpg
IMG_20211018_123045_edit_835250230377756.jpg
IMG_20211018_123233.jpg

IMG_20211018_123303_edit_835297663511083.jpg
IMG_20211018_123332_edit_835311886296497.jpg
IMG_20211018_123320_edit_835306163449623.jpg

Last edited:

Barodon86

Reaction score
Looks great! Especially the corduroy. How does the armhole and sleeve width feel to you? How scratchy and heavy is the tweed?

The sleeves are roomy, which would be good for layering a sweater underneath. I'm used to a slim fit, and this isn't that (by design, I'm sure).

The tweed is very soft, didn't feel scratchy at all.

SteveMc

Reaction score

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the fabrics of these overcoats. I LOVE the overall lines and shape. I DON'T love the fact that none of them seem to even reach as far as the knees. That's fine for a pea coat, but not my preference for an overcoat.

Imperatores

Reaction score
The sleeves are roomy, which would be good for layering a sweater underneath. I'm used to a slim fit, and this isn't that (by design, I'm sure).

The tweed is very soft, didn't feel scratchy at all.

Nice. I've had trouble with overshirt sleeves being too slim for layering in the past. I was worried that roomier sleeves on these might mean that the armholes would be too low, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I ordered one of the cords after seeing your post. I'll see how it fits, and then I'll most likely pick up one of the tweeds and maybe another cord as well. Do you think the tweed is soft enough to be worn over just a t-shirt? Your posts were really helpful, thanks!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the fabrics of these overcoats. I LOVE the overall lines and shape. I DON'T love the fact that none of them seem to even reach as far as the knees. That's fine for a pea coat, but not my preference for an overcoat.
You can MTO an ulster coat now using tweed fabrics if you want a longer version.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting! Why do you say that? I don't own any fabrics from either, so I'd love to learn more.
Same here.

I ordered some swatches from Magee, they seemed nice. Maybe less scratchy than Zanieri, and comes in slightly heavier weight fabrics.

Zanieri OTR makes for an amazing value for overcoats, that's why I bought an overcoat in the first place.

Magee MTO is likely less of an amazing value in terms of pricing, but I'd pay that upcharge if wanting a particular fabrics in a particular style.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had the same comments over the past couple years. My Ulster comes in tomorrow, very interested to see how the additional length works out

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
First day of wear for Brisbane Moss moleskin trousers I picked up during one of the sales. Man, these things are so comfortable. They almost feel like sweats. I think I might need to pick up another few pairs for winter wear. I definitely need to live in a cooler/colder climate to start enjoying menswear more haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads