• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Shetland Gun Check Field Jacket in XS. Seems to fit me well, but chest feels a tad smaller than last years. Definitely very tweed-y feeling. Opinions?

Looks good! The slim silhouette suits you well. Do you still have enough room in the chest for some layering? They're definitely smaller than the previous FW version. The size chart is updated and correct now, showing that they're almost a full size smaller in the chest and shoulders than before. I had to go up a size. At least the tagged sizes makes more sense now.

That shetland gun check pairs really nicely with denim. I agree that they're a very rough tweed, though. Way too scratchy to be worn over just a t-shirt (or even a thin button up or sweater). You need a collared shirt or turtleneck to protect your neck as well. The rough fabric really highlights the need for partial lining or at least sleeve lining. Hopefully that can be added for future FW field jacket runs.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return Up-Date, Shipped Today UPS...

Tennis Sweater (LX)
Bottle Green 36 Slim
20211016_123802 (1).jpg

20211016_123735.jpg

Loupetlapin

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a new balmacaan is planned for this season? I am tempted by the charcoal one, but would wait for one in grey herringbone.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a new balmacaan is planned for this season? I am tempted by the charcoal one, but would wait for one in grey herringbone.

They do Balmacaan in their MTO section of the website. I'm sure grey herringbone is an option.

Like yourself I'd love for them to have a new OTR Balmacaan for this season. Ideally in a gun club check.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm not holding out much hope of a new Balmacaan however.

S&M have introduced quite a significant amount of outerwear already, with the wax jacket / trench coat / down blazers / ulster coats etc. that I'd be suprised if anything additional to this was added.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not holding out much hope of a new Balmacaan however.

S&M have introduced quite a significant amount of outerwear already, with the wax jacket / trench coat / down blazers / ulster coats etc. that I'd be suprised if anything additional to this was added.
I mean, there’s still more to come. Moon A1’s, Chore Coats, Suede Jackets, etc. lol

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Ah okay. Perhaps I pre-emptively presumed they'd previewed their entire AW collection, given it's now mid October.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good! The slim silhouette suits you well. Do you still have enough room in the chest for some layering? They're definitely smaller than the previous FW version. The size chart is updated and correct now, showing that they're almost a full size smaller in the chest and shoulders than before. I had to go up a size. At least the tagged sizes makes more sense now.

That shetland gun check pairs really nicely with denim. I agree that they're a very rough tweed, though. Way too scratchy to be worn over just a t-shirt (or even a thin button up or sweater). You need a collared shirt or turtleneck to protect your neck as well. The rough fabric really highlights the need for partial lining or at least sleeve lining. Hopefully that can be added for future FW field jacket runs.
Upon initial try on, I felt it more tight than usual in the chest when moving my arms backwards. So, I brought out my tailor's tape and my XS from last season. Everywhere is about 0.5" smaller than listed in the size chart. Length is almost an inch. I put on my aran knit I bought over a t shirt and tried both on. I basically can't move my arms back at all in the Moon compared to last years. Sleeve length is noticeably nearing being too short once over a chunky knit. If I was going to be wearing this only over a t shirt this winter, I'd keep the XS. However, think I will have to size up to a Small for the Moon.

Maybe the heavier tweed isn't accounted for in cutting, making it smaller than it should be? Only thing I can think of. How do yours compare to previous seasons?

Imperatores

Reaction score
Upon initial try on, I felt it more tight than usual in the chest when moving my arms backwards. So, I brought out my tailor's tape and my XS from last season. Everywhere is about 0.5" smaller than listed in the size chart. Length is almost an inch. I put on my aran knit I bought over a t shirt and tried both on. I basically can't move my arms back at all in the Moon compared to last years. Sleeve length is noticeably nearing being too short once over a chunky knit. If I was going to be wearing this only over a t shirt this winter, I'd keep the XS. However, think I will have to size up to a Small for the Moon.

Maybe the heavier tweed isn't accounted for in cutting, making it smaller than it should be? Only thing I can think of. How do yours compare to previous seasons?

It's definitely too small then. I was told that these are cut using the updated measurements from the linen field jackets, but from what I can tell they must have changed the way they're labelling sizes as well. A linen field jacket in XS is closer to a Moon in S, even though they're supposedly the same. Shoulders and length match in the same size, though. The first FW field jackets are entirely different. A bit of a shame, since the first run fit me better in the chest and shoulders than these new ones.

I no longer have the XS on hand, but I remember measuring it to be smaller than the updated size chart as well. 0.5" sounds about right. The fabric doesn't seem thick enough to account for that to me. I believe they're still just 370 gsm. Even if thicker fabric caused it to feel tighter, it should still have the right outside measurements if it were to spec. Makes me wonder how the ones with the no-name 615 gsm fabric feel.

Btw, the shetland gun check looks a lot less orange in your pics than in the product pics. Would you say that's your real life impression as well?

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely too small then. I was told that these are cut using the updated measurements from the linen field jackets, but from what I can tell they must have changed the way they're labelling sizes as well. A linen field jacket in XS is closer to a Moon in S, even though they're supposedly the same. Shoulders and length match in the same size, though. The first FW field jackets are entirely different. A bit of a shame, since the first run fit me better in the chest and shoulders than these new ones.

I no longer have the XS on hand, but I remember measuring it to be smaller than the updated size chart as well. 0.5" sounds about right. The fabric doesn't seem thick enough to account for that to me. I believe they're still just 370 gsm. Even if thicker fabric caused it to feel tighter, it should still have the right outside measurements if it were to spec. Makes me wonder how the ones with the no-name 615 gsm fabric feel.

Btw, the shetland gun check looks a lot less orange in your pics than in the product pics. Would you say that's your real life impression as well?
I would say it has an orange tone to it, but I find it more of a brown with the muted/earthy colours from the gun check. Really unique. Looks like I got to email for an exchange then. Didn't get a linen field jacket, the linen shirt jacket is my favourite thing in my wardrobe atm.

Lilium

Reaction score
could someone send me their ref code, i would like to do my first purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads