• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmckay2

Reaction score
An honor to be graced by your 3rd post ever in the 8 years you're in SF.

Get the short. Don't listen to most of the guys here as they'll just recommend Regular no matter what your proportions are.

Haha fair enough but I do appreciate everyone's input here as I am somewhat a suit noob and definitely new to spier.

It's just confusing as numbers would seem to indicate 40 but suit supply 38s fit like a glove with only needing sleeves lengthened. Doesn't help spier lists actual circumference measurements and ss lists widths. Both are fine to use but it makes it harder to compare.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha fair enough but I do appreciate everyone's input here as I am somewhat a suit noob and definitely new to spier.

It's just confusing as numbers would seem to indicate 40 but suit supply 38s fit like a glove with only needing sleeves lengthened. Doesn't help spier lists actual circumference measurements and ss lists widths. Both are fine to use but it makes it harder to compare.
Are you in the USA? If so, much easier to do returns than overseas. If that is the case, why not buy both a 38S Cont. and a 40S Cont. and return the one that doesn't fit? Keep in mind you can also do a trouser waist swap if it is in stock at time of ordering.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That EThomas slub was so good. They still show that cloth every FW. Who wants to see it back?
Ahem. Gray slub was underrated, would like to see it in MTO or RTW again for next fall.

Would nail a vaguely tweedy look, but without the heaviness or being overly warm for indoors.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Edit: oh snap, thought I posted this in wayrn.

Overcoat: J. Hilburn via Luxeswap
Shirt: Spier MTM lightweight oxford in "red" university stripe
Belt: trafalgar, too big, but I like it, just need to punch some extra holes.
Jeans: Calvin Klein
Socks: SuitSupply linen blend
Shoes: Meermin on the old, old Beat last
Bag: J. Crew Tote I got for like... under $2, shipped. J. Crew is weird.

75XjnG5.jpg

3qhoyuT.jpg

Last edited:

blewnote1

Reaction score
Good stuff. Nice photos. Kiddo’s lookin sharp.
Mind my asking your dimensions/size you took? The DB is tempting, but I’m leaning pretty hard on the RTW silhouette being a bit too dicey to flatter my frame.

I wish I could remember all my measurements but my shoulders are 19" and waist around 37" (what my dress pants sitting at natural waist are) but about 39/40 where the coat buttons. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs.

I bought 2 suits from Brooks Brothers after a fitting in a 42R Regent so I was looking at the 42R in Spier originally, but then I looked at the measurements chart for Spier and saw some comments here to the effect that Spier runs small compared to Brooks Brothers so I went with the 44R. I figured it's always easier to tailor something down rather than add space if the cloth isn't there. And the shoulders on the 44 seemed like a better match to my measurements.

I would be curious to see what the 44S from Spier feels like because I think the coat length on the DB might be a tad long, and the sleeves on all of my jackets had to be shortened by about 2" more than the BB suits. I think Spier's regular sleeves are for guys with much longer arms than I have.

For this suit my tailor shortened the sleeves and removed a little collar roll on the jacket, and hemmed and took in the pants on the waist and seat.

The unstructured construction on the DB Solaro means it feels amazingly comfortable, but doesn't drape in quite the same fashion as a coat with more structure to it. It's a pretty funky suit though with the iridescence and the DB and the patch pockets and huge lapels, so the added funkiness of the unstructured nature seemed like it fit to me.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's my proportions or not but regulars are too long. They go past my butt and down to my first finger knuckles. The sleeves are also a good inch too long. I can take a pic maybe of a regular I have to show you. I may have longer legs and a shorter torso. The short in suit supply covered 90% of my butt, hit between first two thumb knuckles. The sleeves were a bit short but spiers sleeves appear longer.
Would have bet against it pre-pics, but go short. That regular doesn’t suit you at all. Is that the 40, or 38?
I wish I could remember all my measurements but my shoulders are 19" and waist around 37" (what my dress pants sitting at natural waist are) but about 39/40 where the coat buttons. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs.

I bought 2 suits from Brooks Brothers after a fitting in a 42R Regent so I was looking at the 42R in Spier originally, but then I looked at the measurements chart for Spier and saw some comments here to the effect that Spier runs small compared to Brooks Brothers so I went with the 44R. I figured it's always easier to tailor something down rather than add space if the cloth isn't there. And the shoulders on the 44 seemed like a better match to my measurements.

I would be curious to see what the 44S from Spier feels like because I think the coat length on the DB might be a tad long, and the sleeves on all of my jackets had to be shortened by about 2" more than the BB suits. I think Spier's regular sleeves are for guys with much longer arms than I have.

For this suit my tailor shortened the sleeves and removed a little collar roll on the jacket, and hemmed and took in the pants on the waist and seat.

The unstructured construction on the DB Solaro means it feels amazingly comfortable, but doesn't drape in quite the same fashion as a coat with more structure to it. It's a pretty funky suit though with the iridescence and the DB and the patch pockets and huge lapels, so the added funkiness of the unstructured nature seemed like it fit to me.
I’d caution against going short. That button stance already looks a touch high (admittedly, could be the DB cut), and going S is only going to raise that up. Obviously, sleeves will need shortening, but I’ll take that alteration any day over a button stance that is too high. It’s what I do.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Are you in the USA? If so, much easier to do returns than overseas. If that is the case, why not buy both a 38S Cont. and a 40S Cont. and return the one that doesn't fit? Keep in mind you can also do a trouser waist swap if it is in stock at time of ordering.

Yeah in the USA, definitely easier than overseas no doubt but from what I found still a bit of a pain, which is fine just would prefer to avoid messing with it if possible. To.be honest I'm not familiar with how their stocking goes but I notice tons of sizes out of stock, I'm a bit worried if by the time I do a return my size would be out and with the current shipping crisis that could be a long delay.

Not the end of the world and you could be right that's the best play, just a bit of a headache.

Not sure if anyone would even know but let's say I order three so I can use my 20% off and need to return one for a different size and it's out of stock. Assuming it's not a sale item is it likely they'll get it back in stock and ship when they have it? Or do they rotate seasons so much that once they're out they're out?

tmckay2

Reaction score
Would have bet against it pre-pics, but go short. That regular doesn’t suit you at all. Is that the 40, or 38?

I’d caution against going short. That button stance already looks a touch high (admittedly, could be the DB cut), and going S is only going to raise that up. Obviously, sleeves will need shortening, but I’ll take that alteration any day over a button stance that is too high. It’s what I do.

That's actually a 39r in jcrew ludlow. I measured the length and it's 29.5 inches. I also for kicks measured my proportions and my legs are about 4 inches over being half my length from back of the neck down. So it would make sense a short would look better on me as my torso is a little on the shorter side.

zurich64

Reaction score

SS Havana matches SM contemp
SS Lazio is a bit loose compared to SM slim
SS sleeves may be a cm shorter than SM

I would say try 38S in slim.

By the way, why on earth did you buy that suit which is hanging on you in the picture?

tmckay2

Reaction score

By the way, why on earth did you buy that suit which is hanging on you in the picture?

I actually got it from a friend. Still has tags on it, never wore it out. He gained enough weight he couldn't wear it and I considered having it tailored to fit better but not worth it. It's all I had as a rough comparison for pics. I did go into suit supply a week ago and 38s havana and Lazio both fit well, even the two different employees said it just needed the sleeves lengthened and it felt good. Just kinda odd my chest measures 40 and 39 in ludlow bends at the lapels a little yet suit supply (and men's wearhouse from when I had to get fitted there for a wedding) both were 38. So confusing haha.

Last edited:

tmckay2

Reaction score

As far as the slim if I'm a bit unsure between 38 and 40 wouldn't it be better to roll contemporary since there will be a bit more wiggle room to tailor? Particularly in the pants as it sounds like they can be awfully slim. I wear slim in other manufacturers for chinos and such but you know how that goes.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Anyone got any IRL photos of the cord overshirt? I'm curious what a chore coat-ish item with waist suppression looks like.

Hudson

Reaction score
Your proportions should dictate your choice here, not comparisons in height/weight. I’m 5’9 and take a short, appears that would be your best bet as well.
Hell I'm 5'10 and take short sizes because my torso is laughably short compared to my legs.

tmckay2

Reaction score
Based on advice here I'm leaning towards the 38s in contemporary but with slim pants. I don't skip leg day and have definition but large legs don't really run in the family so my waist is 33, hips 37, thigh 22. Seems the 32 slim would get me a closer fit but still with around 3 inches in the thigh and hip.

I appreciate the help. I can post my findings here in hopes it may help direct someone in the future. Here's to hoping!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shetland Gun Check Field Jacket in XS. Seems to fit me well, but chest feels a tad smaller than last years. Definitely very tweed-y feeling. Opinions?

Attachments

• 2EF0CBC3-2D4F-4EC2-94C1-25959B091BC4.jpeg
    2EF0CBC3-2D4F-4EC2-94C1-25959B091BC4.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 132
  • A77447AC-1CEC-47D6-8374-D9DC2C2A8C3D.jpeg
    A77447AC-1CEC-47D6-8374-D9DC2C2A8C3D.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 131

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads