• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
In any case, the safari / field jacket is not something that you can just pick up and look good in it. I really want to use safaris as everyday alternative to the sportjacket and went as far as bespoke through 100Hands, Rubinacci, etc to the cheap rtws. Only a few I can actually use and the rest must be sold off. Far more variables must to be considered and visualized compared to a regular sportjacket:

- Can you rock the belt or not? I personally removed the belts and slim the waist on mines
- Are you ok with drawstrings that looks like elastic waist? I removed all drawstrings and slimmed as well.
- Does it have halfbelt at the back (which may look ugly when the jacket is too short)?
- Are the pockets shaped like middle aged woman's boobs? Or the opposite being too stiff squared?
- Are the lower pockets positioned too low? (a ***** when you need to shorten the jacket)
- Are they styled as to make women mistake you for a chauffeur or security officer or just too out of place in an urban setting or vs your personal style?

PS: There is one well known new brand that makes safaris that stands above the rest by far in terms of quality and style but I'm not going to mention in this thread.
I find these jackets difficult to use, and will definitely need to try in person to see how it fits.
Also, in almost every case, I find a casual sport jacket can do the same job and doesn't stick out like a costume look of the field jacket.

zurich64

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to make a quick post to hopefully clear up some of the questions people had about the overcoat sizing. As the world has inherently gotten more casual (even pre-pandemic), we've found that a large number of our customers are now wearing their coats over lighter layers such as a shirt & sweater, instead of suits & tailored clothing. This is especially true for our single-breasted overcoats & peacoats. For this reason, we recommend ordering your regular jacket size if you plan to wear it over shirts & knitwear, but consider sizing up if you plan to wear the coat over a suit or sport jacket.

However, the ulster overcoat, which is a new style for us this season, is specifically designed to be worn over tailoring, which is why it is cut fuller & longer than our regular overcoats. Given that it is designed with this in mind, we recommend taking your regular jacket size if you plan to wear the ulster over a suit or sport coat.

Using myself as an example, I can wear a 38 Contemporary suit/sport coat perfectly OTR, and I would wear a 38 overcoat if I was just going to wear it over a sweater & jeans. I would size up to a 40 overcoat to wear it over a suit, but I would stick with a size 38 ulster coat to wear over a suit.

I hope this helps to clarify things, and please let us know if you have any questions.

--Brandon
It would have been easier to sell these slimmer cut coats as a topcoat and not call them overcoat to avoid the confusion and have consistency in fits over the years.
So currently, regular overcoats fit like a topcoat, and Ulsters, fit like true overcoats ?

Evacipator

Reaction score
I find these jackets difficult to use, and will definitely need to try in person to see how it fits.
Also, in almost every case, I find a casual sport jacket can do the same job and doesn't stick out like a costume look of the field jacket.

In what contexts are you wearing them that you find people consider them costumey? I find that a sportscoat gets understood as a 'costume' ("Why are you wearing a suit? Are you going to a wedding?") fairly often, whereas a safari/field jacket is just taken in the same vein as a duffle coat or a waxed jacket or something. I'm guessing because of the relatively little structure, maybe. I also find it easier to high-low a safari jacket - with jeans/chinos and suede sneakers, for example. Or over a knitted tee.

That might change with specific fabrics, or if worn with a belt (I always take the option when buying, for versatility, but don't usually wear it that way). And I'm also not wearing them in place of a sports coat in for example a business casual setting (Again, anywhere that a duffle coat or a waxed jacket wouldn't be appropriate), but overall I find them more versatile, so I'm interested in your different perspective.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In what contexts are you wearing them that you find people consider them costumey? I find that a sportscoat gets understood as a 'costume' ("Why are you wearing a suit? Are you going to a wedding?") fairly often, whereas a safari/field jacket is just taken in the same vein as a duffle coat or a waxed jacket or something. I'm guessing because of the relatively little structure, maybe. I also find it easier to high-low a safari jacket - with jeans/chinos and suede sneakers, for example. Or over a knitted tee.

That might change with specific fabrics, or if worn with a belt (I always take the option when buying, for versatility, but don't usually wear it that way). And I'm also not wearing them in place of a sports coat in for example a business casual setting (Again, anywhere that a duffle coat or a waxed jacket wouldn't be appropriate), but overall I find them more versatile, so I'm interested in your different perspective.
The issue is treating the garment as a replacement for a sports coat.

I've experimented with custom safari jackets and OTR ones, and the ones that worked most effectively were the OTR jackets that were incorporated as more of a workwear outfit.

Otherwise it looks like a gimmick that isn't here or there in terms of aesthetics.

The only ones that appeal to me by S&M are the more rustic field jackets with no belt, because they basically look more like very casual outerwear. Ex: The tweeds, the olive moleskin etc. I'd wear these a jacket when heading outside.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Can you provide some pictures? On the fence about picking this up. ?
Quick snaps of the size XL moleskin field jacket. For reference, I’m about 6’0, 215 lbs and take a size 44 SC.
E9B23086-CC92-4E5C-BCF1-DF49C6758648.jpeg
F4EAFD7A-0BE0-40ED-8377-B0ECA083533C.jpeg

Beav

Reaction score
Whoa I just saw the waxed jacket on Instagram!? seems like I could spend a couple grand on jackets from all of the recent releases. It's like there's too much good stuff to buy.

And I see the ulster coats are now for preorder... but the green ones aren't on either the preview page or the new arrivals. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on that one!

zurich64

Reaction score

I think the problem is mainly fabrics and design (belt).
The ones in tweed, moleskin or suede would work, but I think light or bold linen ones look odd and over designed.
The moleskin version posted above seems good. I had a suede version that I could put on with casual clothes.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is mainly fabrics and design (belt).
The ones in tweed, moleskin or suede would work, but I think light or bold linen ones look odd and over designed.
The moleskin version posted above seems good. I had a suede version that I could put on with casual clothes.

EXACTLY. If it's offered in green suede I'd get at least 2 pieces for me and my son. I just hate the moleskin and corduroy feel on the skin. Also lose the belt, it's good for IG shots but impractical irl.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I just noticed that they've changed the measurements on the size chart for the new field jackets. That sort of thing really needs to be correct before putting a product up for sale. At least this new chart makes it clear that you need to size differently from previous editions of the field jacket. I replied to their initial message here on SF but haven't heard back from them at all.

Also, that waxed jacket looks veeery interesting. Maybe I'll exchange the field jacket for one of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads