• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve picked up way too many overcoats last winter when covid wrecked retail. Would like to pick up some sport coats specifically for fall and winter. The full canvas is speaking to me…

Hudson

Reaction score
Received my green moleskin field jacket yesterday. Love everything about it--fit, color, material. I was worried it would overlap with a suede overshirt I own, but the moleskin is a lot heavier/warmer than my unlined suede shacket, so it will be the one I grab as temps start dropping or if there's a chance of precipitation.

How's the sizing? There was a post earlier mentioning that the sizing was smaller than last year. I'm a 40R contemporary and the size charts point me to a small but i'm wondering if a medium would work better.

schraiber

Reaction score
Those look great. What waist size did you get and do they match the waist measurement on the website? Size 30 sold out way quicker than I thought in that color, hoping for a restock.
This is a 34 Slim, and it feels like it fits like I expect it to. I'm 5'11'', 180 lbs, 39 inch chest, 34 inch waist, 40 inch hips.

I busted out my tailor's tape this morning and measured the half waist to be ~17.5 inches, which would give it a 35 inch waist, which is a bit smaller than their stated 35.8, but who knows, maybe I'm measuring not exactly accurately. The other pair of chinos I own from Spier is their normal rise chinos in 33 slim, and they're a bit snug on my thighs and butt, but definitely wearable, but I decided to size up slightly here and I'm glad for it.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to make a quick post to hopefully clear up some of the questions people had about the overcoat sizing. As the world has inherently gotten more casual (even pre-pandemic), we've found that a large number of our customers are now wearing their coats over lighter layers such as a shirt & sweater, instead of suits & tailored clothing. This is especially true for our single-breasted overcoats & peacoats. For this reason, we recommend ordering your regular jacket size if you plan to wear it over shirts & knitwear, but consider sizing up if you plan to wear the coat over a suit or sport jacket.

However, the ulster overcoat, which is a new style for us this season, is specifically designed to be worn over tailoring, which is why it is cut fuller & longer than our regular overcoats. Given that it is designed with this in mind, we recommend taking your regular jacket size if you plan to wear the ulster over a suit or sport coat.

Using myself as an example, I can wear a 38 Contemporary suit/sport coat perfectly OTR, and I would wear a 38 overcoat if I was just going to wear it over a sweater & jeans. I would size up to a 40 overcoat to wear it over a suit, but I would stick with a size 38 ulster coat to wear over a suit.

I hope this helps to clarify things, and please let us know if you have any questions.

--Brandon

reidrothchild

Reaction score
How's the sizing? There was a post earlier mentioning that the sizing was smaller than last year. I'm a 40R contemporary and the size charts point me to a small but i'm wondering if a medium would work better.

I can't speak to sizing of previous seasons' field jackets, as this is my first from SM. I take a 44 contemp in Spier sport coats, and I just ordered the corresponding field jacket size (XL) that the size chart pointed me to. It fits just fine with plenty of room for a chunky sweater underneath. No issues with forearm portion of the sleeves being too small or anything like that. I can get the sleeves on and off without unbuttoning the cuff.

If you're a 40, I'd probably stick with the M, per the size chart if you plan on layering. Maybe order the small if you want it to fit more like a SC, and only plan on wearing over button down shirts?

1632848037192.png

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to make a quick post to hopefully clear up some of the questions people had about the overcoat sizing. As the world has inherently gotten more casual (even pre-pandemic), we've found that a large number of our customers are now wearing their coats over lighter layers such as a shirt & sweater, instead of suits & tailored clothing. This is especially true for our single-breasted overcoats & peacoats. For this reason, we recommend ordering your regular jacket size if you plan to wear it over shirts & knitwear, but consider sizing up if you plan to wear the coat over a suit or sport jacket.

However, the ulster overcoat, which is a new style for us this season, is specifically designed to be worn over tailoring, which is why it is cut fuller & longer than our regular overcoats. Given that it is designed with this in mind, we recommend taking your regular jacket size if you plan to wear the ulster over a suit or sport coat.

Using myself as an example, I can wear a 38 Contemporary suit/sport coat perfectly OTR, and I would wear a 38 overcoat if I was just going to wear it over a sweater & jeans. I would size up to a 40 overcoat to wear it over a suit, but I would stick with a size 38 ulster coat to wear over a suit.

I hope this helps to clarify things, and please let us know if you have any questions.

--Brandon
Thanks Brandon
Your size fit charts show the ulster coats to have only 0.5 inches more in chest than a DB overcoat. Is this correct? If so it doesn’t seem like enough of an increase to make any practical difference in how the ulster coat fits vs the regular DB

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

--Brandon
Thanks for clarifying. I've tried the SB and DB overcoats, do the peacoats fit the same? Even the Melton versions? The peacoats seem to be cut slightly larger in the chest and waist, but smaller in the shoulders.

1632852635299.png

1632852646260.png

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have seen @RajunCajun pictures and @Kappelan and they look different (besides color). The herringbone wool looks more like a "jacket" than the moleskin "workshirt". Maybe it's just they way the two are wearing them? ?‍♂️

In my case, it's a relatively thick fall jacket (can't be worn as a substitute for a sport coat for example)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads