• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ulsters are up for pre-order. Interesting fit note from S&M: "Note: Our ulster overcoat features a fuller cut & longer length that is designed to be worn over tailoring. We recommend taking your normal jacket size if you plan to wear it over a suit or sportcoat."

I had planned on ordering a size up like I did with my tweed polo coat from a couple years ago so I could comfortably wear it over a suit (my older DB overcoat is a little slim to comfortably move in if wearing a jacket underneath), but this convinced me to order my normal size. Hopefully it works, we'll see after 10/7 apparently

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Want both, but think I'll get more wear out of the navy. I'd kill for a dark chocolate/coffee brown as well.

I'm a sucker for camel overcoats, and this appears to correct some of my complaints with my previous one- I'm hopeful about this one.

Edit: confirmed looking at the size chart that the Ulster appears to be 5.1" longer in size 38 than the DB overcoat, and about 1.2" longer than the second (belted) version of the Balmacaan. Looks to be a half inch bigger in the chest and 1/4" bigger in the shoulders than the previous DB, so we'll see if that's enough of a difference

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for camel overcoats, and this appears to correct some of my complaints with my previous one- I'm hopeful about this one
Yeah, I have the DB from prior season. Haven't used it at all. Considering selling it. If I manage to do so, I'll probably grab both the navy and camel.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After the helpful comments from fellow forum members, I placed an order for the SB Navy overcoat and look forward to wearing it soon! Thanks, everyone.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
I took delivery of my Moon field jacket today. I want to caution those of you who bought one or are considering buying based on the fit of previous season's field jackets (like I did). The fit is completely different on this new one, and nothing like the measurement chart on their site. Shoulders are a a solid 2 cm narrower, the chest a whopping 4 cm smaller and the sleeves (forearms in particular) are comically skinny when compared to the same size from the last FW season. I'm not sure if I want to exchange for a size up or if the fit is now so different that it just doesn't work for me at all anymore.

These massive variations in measurements between fabrics/seasons of the same product is starting to kill my excitement for the brand. Returns and exchanges are a huge pain (and cost) when ordering internationally, and it always feels like a crapshoot whether something will fit or not.

Hello, @Imperatores. I just sent you a PM about this. Please reply when you have moment so we can help you get this resolved.

Rick & our production team here in the office checked a few of the field jackets, and they all measured within spec, so it sounds like you may have received a one-off jacket that was accidentally mislabeled.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ulsters are up for pre-order. Interesting fit note from S&M: "Note: Our ulster overcoat features a fuller cut & longer length that is designed to be worn over tailoring. We recommend taking your normal jacket size if you plan to wear it over a suit or sportcoat."

I had planned on ordering a size up like I did with my tweed polo coat from a couple years ago so I could comfortably wear it over a suit (my older DB overcoat is a little slim to comfortably move in if wearing a jacket underneath), but this convinced me to order my normal size. Hopefully it works, we'll see after 10/7 apparently
Yes, I'd thought that the fit looked roomier for the ulster coats. Since that's been confirmed, went ahead and placed an order as well for the navy coat.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stick with the same size while wearing suits/SCs under, which creates a trim silhouette. Not restricting, but trim. I know some people size up, but I haven't found it necessary.

I Size Up, SC 42Conmp, (44) Conmp Overcoat And If You Like To Layer! :fistbump:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends if you’re wearing a sport coat underneath.

I sized up so that my sport coat arms could fit inside the coat sleeves without being scrunched up and move around.
I think the problem is that the overcoats err toward slim fit rather than contemporary fit, if we compare them to sports coat sizing.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for camel overcoats, and this appears to correct some of my complaints with my previous one- I'm hopeful about this one.

Edit: confirmed looking at the size chart that the Ulster appears to be 5.1" longer in size 38 than the DB overcoat, and about 1.2" longer than the second (belted) version of the Balmacaan. Looks to be a half inch bigger in the chest and 1/4" bigger in the shoulders than the previous DB, so we'll see if that's enough of a difference
Half inch in chest ain’t much at all. If that’s all it is I think I size up with the ulster coat like I did with the dB overcoat
The extra length is great!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It Came In A Burnt Orange, And Its Still Sweet!

IMG_20210925_211546_765.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads