• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schraiber

Reaction score
I'm just baffled by trying to find the right size shirt, despite numerous attempts. I'm 180lbs, 5'11'', and ~39 inch chest.

I was initially dumb and went for a 15 slim dress shirt, which I wore for a while trying to convince myself that they were okay but honestly they were too small.

The next shirts I got were 15 contemporary sports shirts, which have essentially the same measurements as a 15.5 slim but with slightly shorter sleeves, good for my stub arms. I basically feel like they fit okay enough the next time I needed a dress shirt I went for a 15.5 slim.

Surprisingly, since they have almost identical measurements, I found that the 15.5 slim dress shirt felt a lot better than my 15 contemporary sports shirts. One explanation could be that the shoulders are very slightly wider on the 15.5 slim dress shirt (18.25 vs 18) but I busted out the measuring tape and it seems like the dress shirt is actually cut a bit wider in the chest, despite the measurements being stated as the same...

I figured this was a fluke and decided to go up a size for my next order to 16 slim dress shirt. However, the increase in size is actually quite large, and now that it just arrived I feel like it's definitely too big.

So I guess I'm left with a few options:

1) try 15.5 slim again and pray that in fact my one shirt in that size is not a fluke and others will fit like it

2) try 15.5 contemporary, which is actually slightly narrower in the chest than 16 slim (44 vs 44.5), and see if that splits the difference well enough

3) just give up

Not much point to this post, just felt like ranting

milktoast

Reaction score
I'm just baffled by trying to find the right size shirt, despite numerous attempts. I'm 180lbs, 5'11'', and ~39 inch chest.

I was initially dumb and went for a 15 slim dress shirt, which I wore for a while trying to convince myself that they were okay but honestly they were too small.

The next shirts I got were 15 contemporary sports shirts, which have essentially the same measurements as a 15.5 slim but with slightly shorter sleeves, good for my stub arms. I basically feel like they fit okay enough the next time I needed a dress shirt I went for a 15.5 slim.

Surprisingly, since they have almost identical measurements, I found that the 15.5 slim dress shirt felt a lot better than my 15 contemporary sports shirts. One explanation could be that the shoulders are very slightly wider on the 15.5 slim dress shirt (18.25 vs 18) but I busted out the measuring tape and it seems like the dress shirt is actually cut a bit wider in the chest, despite the measurements being stated as the same...

I figured this was a fluke and decided to go up a size for my next order to 16 slim dress shirt. However, the increase in size is actually quite large, and now that it just arrived I feel like it's definitely too big.

So I guess I'm left with a few options:

1) try 15.5 slim again and pray that in fact my one shirt in that size is not a fluke and others will fit like it

2) try 15.5 contemporary, which is actually slightly narrower in the chest than 16 slim (44 vs 44.5), and see if that splits the difference well enough

3) just give up

Not much point to this post, just felt like ranting
Had a similar journey in that I tried to convince myself that I could wear the 15 extra slim, but I’ve ultimately ended up with the 15 slim. I still have to take them to my tailor - since the sleeves are too wide for me and they’re too billowy when I tuck them in. But it took me a few tries (read: returns) to get this place. One day I’ll order a custom shirt…just overwhelmed by measurement options and where to start.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tennis Arrival!
(XL) Felt Big In The Bag...

20210923_174338.jpg

This Is A Really Nice Sweater, Well Made, No Doubt!
20210923_174225.jpg

20210923_174251.jpg

(XL) To Long In Sleeve Length, By A Cuff, And For $98 We'll Need A (L) Hopefully One Shows Up! I'll Wait And Return In A Week...

Just Sharing... :fonz:

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered and received the high rise chinos? I'm curious about the waist sizing, if it's more casual/vanity sized or true to size. I've looked at the size charts, but I'm not always convinced!

I ordered these corduroy trousers last month and while they do note they run true to size and aren't vanity sized, the size chart they supply does have a bit of vanity sizing. I ended up sizing up and definitely glad I did.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Were there any teasers or clues about the fabrics with which the chore coats are made?

crdekker

Reaction score
Anyone ever get the error "Invalid Coupon Code" when you haven't used a code at checkout? Won't let me checkout whatever I do.

I'm getting MTO shirts so I'm not sure if there's a relevant code for that, or what I should do. Contacted support but haven't heard back.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever get the error "Invalid Coupon Code" when you haven't used a code at checkout? Won't let me checkout whatever I do.

I'm getting MTO shirts so I'm not sure if there's a relevant code for that, or what I should do. Contacted support but haven't heard back.

Did You Create An Account?

mbb355

Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nooo no Heather cream cable knit turtleneck on the list?!!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they offer this anymore for the same reason that they don't offer CMT. Risk of losing the cloth or garment is too high. But best to check with Rick if this has changed.

I would be curious to hear if this is available too. Was considering a MTO DB blazer but couldn’t recall my shoulder slope needed or my posture.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DB suit in the preview section is gold. If I hadn't commission something very similar recently I'd jump on it. Like it more than the one I acquired actually.

Last edited:

Imperatores

Reaction score
The cable knit colors this year are meh. I'd like to see more cream, grey, charcoal, olive. Not emerald green, slate blue, or taupe.

Agreed. I don't mind the taupe or the navy (I already have one in navy, though), but the rest of them are wack. Seems like almost all the good colors are reserved for the various new sweater styles they're releasing this season. I like the broad selection of styles they have now, though. Especially the shorter length ones. Too bad that a lot of the styles miss out on the best colors, and that they've stocked such a tiny amount per size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads