• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the heavier knits fit bigger due to the heaviness of the wool. If you were just looking for something to throw on, the chunky cardigan is your best bet if you don't have one already. Though, that one is even heavier lol

Yup - got the green chonker from last year. Waiting on a restock so I can get a burgundy one to add to the collection.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to save for a downpayment on a house but dam. The new ulster coat and the new peacoat demand a purchase. Need to sell off my old peacoat... it just doesn't compare. I need dat giant collar.

Which peacoat do you currently have? I purchased the herringbone gray peacoat last year and it has a pretty big collar.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which peacoat do you currently have? I purchased the herringbone gray peacoat last year and it has a pretty big collar.

I got the first iteration when it launched. So back in 2018? The collar is nice but bigger is better :)

I wanna just turn into a turtle and let my shell (the peacoat) swallow me up when it's cold.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am on the cusp of a decision between the SB overcoat and the DB. My concern about the SB is that the opening across the chest will expose me to cold wind even if the coat is buttoned whereas, the DB will cover up that same section.

Am I understanding this correctly? I'd prefer to maintain warmth in the winter if possible; not that it gets terribly cold where I live, mind you.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am on the cusp of a decision between the SB overcoat and the DB. My concern about the SB is that the opening across the chest will expose me to cold wind even if the coat is buttoned whereas, the DB will cover up that same section.

Am I understanding this correctly? I'd prefer to maintain warmth in the winter if possible; not that it gets terribly cold where I live, mind you.

This = why scarves exist. That being said, sb overcoats (other than bals) are ugly (at least in my correct opinion).

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This = why scarves exist. That being said, sb overcoats (other than bals) are ugly (at least in my correct opinion).

Thank you. To me, it felt like the top section would be wide open and a scarf wouldn't cover it well enough. That is, until I read that the top button is functional.

I will continue to ponder.

zurich64

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

SB are more versatile. Get a good warm scarve, and wrap it around and tuck it in front.
SB also works
with warm sweaters as a topcoat, worn unbuttoned in relatively milder weather.

Johnny80

Reaction score
After seeing so much interest for spier and mackay , i pulled the trigger and ordered this coat
The form ,colour and proportions speaks to me in a big way...i never bought from this brand.. i wonder how will stack up with my Kiton coats

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing so much interest for spier and mackay , i pulled the trigger and ordered this coat
The form ,colour and proportions speaks to me in a big way...i never bought from this brand.. i wonder how will stack up with my Kiton coats

Camel is a very versatile colour. If you bought it to wear over a suit/sportcoat, it will serve you well.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

DB will be warmer than SB.

SB is better to have if you want to wear it specifically over suits/sportcoats.

Fill that gap with a chunky cashmere scarf.

SB looks cool unbuttoned but ugly buttoned.

DB offers a flattering figure buttoned and shouldn't be worn unbuttoned all the time.

These are my personal thoughts.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your climate and goals.

I live in a fairly cold climate that can range from 0C to -25C in the winter, and it's DB or bust. They look better to me and are more practical, less exposed chest space.

Regular SBs look cool, but the chest is too open, and I don't like how they look fully buttoned.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your climate and goals.

I live in a fairly cold climate that can range from 0C to -25C in the winter, and it's DB or bust. They look better to me and are more practical, less exposed chest space.

Regular SBs look cool, but the chest is too open, and I don't like how they look fully buttoned.

Where I live, we rarely go below -10C so it doesn't get that cold and I'll likely wear it unbuttoned most of the time. Thank you for the advice.

BB_Adept

Reaction score
I live in Europe (Germany) and I would like to buy a sport coat from S&M. Since I am more muscular than most males, I cannot order/buy something of the rack.

So far I bought one mtm sport coat from a skilled local tailor and I was satisfied with the result, but I am still interested in buying something online, preferably from spier and mackay. Partly this is due to lower prices (my first sport coat cost around 850 Euros) and partly because I am unwilling to drive 150km to visit the tailor.

Your made to order system offers a fair amount of options, but I do not really know how to make the adjustments myself. Is there any chance that someone can provide me with some insight on how to get a satisfactory result from s&m with the existing sport coat I already have?

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Europe (Germany) and I would like to buy a sport coat from S&M. Since I am more muscular than most males, I cannot order/buy something of the rack.

So far I bought one mtm sport coat from a skilled local tailor and I was satisfied with the result, but I am still interested in buying something online, preferably from spier and mackay. Partly this is due to lower prices (my first sport coat cost around 850 Euros) and partly because I am unwilling to drive 150km to visit the tailor.

Your made to order system offers a fair amount of options, but I do not really know how to make the adjustments myself. Is there any chance that someone can provide me with some insight on how to get a satisfactory result from s&m with the existing sport coat I already have?

I Believe You Can Ship It To S$M? I Think! :fonz:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads