• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day wearing heavier fabrics and how to start it better than with the Marling & Evans burgundy hopsack? I love the fabric.
IMG_20210923_074640.jpg
IMG_20210923_074758.jpg
IMG_20210923_074847.jpg
IMG_20210923_080523.jpg

Full outfit here https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...rting-may-2014.394373/page-5080#post-10852678

Imperatores

Reaction score
You didn't realize that we've been wearing vintage inspired pieces for the longest time? Yet some people have been able to make or convert those into modern casual garments thus making them usable. Shops and brands have been churning out chore jackets for years and the guys associating it with depression era are mostly dead. In any case I can pull off that aqua jacket really well even if most can't.

Chalk stripe suit has disappeared from the offices where I'm at for at least the last 5 years. You can probably try to pull it off if you're a jazz musician in a club, otherwise any young dude using one is trying too hard to fit into the corp culture or just didn't get educated enough on fashion.

Obviously a lot of clothing is vintage inspired, that's not my point. You were presenting that jacket as some sort of hyper modern alternative. Hoodies or down jackets are modern. A vintage inspired workwear jacket is not, even if they may enjoy brief windows of being fashionable here and there. The mere fact that they exist in the modern world doesn't make them modern. That same argument could easily be made for chalk stripe suits, then. Even fashion forward brands like SuSu have been churning out striped suits for their entire existence. They've never gone out of style in the way a lot of workwear jackets have, though. They clearly have a timeless appeal that jackets like this Todd Snyder piece does not. Isn't this the whole difference between whimsical fashion and classic timeless style? Timeless style being the key design philosophy behind brands like S&M, and surely among the main reasons most of us are fans of their products. You won't be able to wear that workwear jacket in 10-20 years without feeling out of place, but I can almost guarantee that chalk stripes will still be around.

I think there's an interesting discussion about what truly makes clothing "modern" here. I would argue that suits are actually far more modern than almost all fashion trends. Suits have been a menswear staple for hundreds of years, and have undergone a slow iterative evolution during that time. That makes them almost uniquely well suited (heh, get it?) for their purpose in a modern wardrobe, and an excellent example of what is modern at any given time. A fashion trend may well feel super modern while it's happening, but the fact that they typically die out within just a few years suggests that they didn't actually serve a real purpose in a modern wardrobe. That's why it's kind of comical to be talking about how "educated on fashion" you are, in my opinion. People who just follow fashion trends are poor dressers who fail to identify the deeper principles behind truly useful clothing that will continue to look good in the future. Beyond whatever inane fashion trend you're currently in.

This turned into a longer ramble than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I want to die on the hill of chalk stripes quite to this extent. Workwear jackets probably isn't the best example of inane fashion trends either. I see you bring up "modern" and "fashion" (and whatever you think women like...) a lot when talking about clothing, so I wanted to explore your thought process behind those ideas a bit more generally. It's entirely possible that you use them in a broader sense, or think of them as interchangeable with "style". Hopefully I don't sound way too pretentious. It's just clothing after all, and doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Debating this hobby/interest of ours is fun, though.

Last edited:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously a lot of clothing is vintage inspired, that's not my point. You were presenting that jacket as some sort of hyper modern alternative. Hoodies or down jackets are modern. A vintage inspired workwear jacket is not, even if they may enjoy brief windows of being fashionable here and there. The mere fact that they exist in the modern world doesn't make them modern. That same argument could easily be made for chalk stripe suits, then. Even fashion forward brands like SuSu have been churning out striped suits for their entire existence. They've never gone out of style in the way a lot of workwear jackets have, though. They clearly have a timeless appeal that jackets like this Todd Snyder piece does not. Isn't this the whole difference between whimsical fashion and classic timeless style? Timeless style being the key design philosophy behind brands like S&M, and surely among the main reasons most of us are fans of their products. You won't be able to wear that workwear jacket in 10-20 years without feeling out of place, but I can almost guarantee that chalk stripes will still be around.

I think there's an interesting discussion about what truly makes clothing "modern" here. I would argue that suits are actually far more modern than almost all fashion trends. Suits have been a menswear staple for hundreds of years, and have undergone a slow iterative evolution during that time. That makes them almost uniquely well suited (heh, get it?) for their purpose in a modern wardrobe, and an excellent example of what is modern at any given time. A fashion trend may well feel super modern while it's happening, but the fact that they typically die out within just a few years suggests that they didn't actually serve a real purpose in a modern wardrobe. That's why it's kind of comical to be talking about how "educated on fashion" you are, in my opinion. People who just follow fashion trends are poor dressers who fail to identify the deeper principles behind truly useful clothing that will continue to look good in the future. Beyond whatever inane fashion trend you're currently in.

This turned into a longer ramble than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I want to die on the hill of chalk stripes quite to this extent. Workwear jackets probably isn't the best example of inane fashion trends either. I see you bring up "modern" and "fashion" (and whatever you think women like...) a lot when talking about clothing, so I wanted to explore your thought process behind those ideas a bit more generally. It's entirely possible that you use them in a broader sense, or think of them as interchangeable with "style". Hopefully I don't sound way too pretentious. It's just clothing after all, and doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Debating this hobby/interest of ours is fun, though.

I Love It! For All The Right Reasons... :fistbump:

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have photos of the Moon Green Shetland? It says it was made a previous season, so curious how the colour and depth looks irl

I managed to find this one last year on final sale when it miraculously appeared after an inventory update, was originally released in 2018. Here's a few shots from last year

DSC02236 (1).jpg
_DSC6421 (1).jpg
_DSC4606 (1).jpg

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shetland is a little more coarse/spongy. I'd say its a mid/heavy weight tweed but lighter and less rigid than Harris tweed from past seasons.
Sounds like a home run, definitely on my list for this season now. Thanks for the info and pics!

Reaction score

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given how things are going I don't think the suit, let alone a very dated chalked grey suit, will be even common and IMO will be out of place in most offices in 10 years. I don't even need to imagine myself in UK or wherever you at to know most people don't wear suits anymore. It's far more likely someone will wear any jacket other than what looks like a blazer or suit given the formality they project. But I'm more open minded than most here.

It's far more difficult for me to open SF now. So if I don't reply anymore then my hellban is finally complete. Though I'd rather they just ban me completely instead of halfassing.

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
I’ve got a question about fit that might have already been answered in the thread, but I’d greatly appreciate some guidance. Do the slim and contemporary in neo cuts mirror the fit of the slim and contemporary in the regular sc/suit cut? I own slim an contemporaries in the regular cut, and am thinking of buying something in the neo but am not sure what to go for. In the regular cut I feel more comfortable in the contemporary, bu look a little better in the slim. If the neo changes the slim with just a bit more room I might go for it. Otherwise, I’d stick with the contemporary. I noticed the neo is a little longer and wider in the shoulders; does this make a difference in the fit/balance vs regular cut? I’ll appreciate any guidance you might provide!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Imperatores

Reaction score
Given how things are going I don't think the suit, let alone a very dated chalked grey suit, will be even common and IMO will be out of place in most offices in 10 years. I don't even need to imagine myself in UK or wherever you at to know most people don't wear suits anymore. It's far more likely someone will wear any jacket other than what looks like a blazer or suit given the formality they project. But I'm more open minded than most here.

It's far more difficult for me to open SF now. So if I don't reply anymore then my hellban is finally complete. Though I'd rather they just ban me completely instead of halfassing.

Sure, you're most likely right that the suit is going to continue losing ground as business attire. I don't see it going anywhere as the default formal attire for men though, even if formal occasions will be few and far between. That doesn't necessarily mean that it won't be modern either, just that the purpose it serves changes and narrows along with an evolving view on formality. If I've given the impression that I think we should be wearing suits or even sportcoats everywhere we go, then that's definitely not the case. I wouldn't be wearing suits if I wasn't in a conservative field (law) where it's appropriate. A big part of dressing well is not standing out like a sore thumb, which incidentally is partly why I would never wear a bright blue seersucker jacket either. ;)

I don't know what you did to earn yourself this partial ban, but it seems excessive judging by what I've seen you post. There should always be room for some abrasive and contrarian voices, as those tend to spark the most entertaining and interesting debates. As long as the poster isn't just a troll and willingly engages in good faith debate. An overly sanitized environment is just boring.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day wearing heavier fabrics and how to start it better than with the Marling & Evans burgundy hopsack? I love the fabric.
View attachment 1673685 View attachment 1673686 View attachment 1673687 View attachment 1673688

Full outfit here https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...rting-may-2014.394373/page-5080#post-10852678

I like this jacket but it's very boring compared to the rest of my current wardrobe. So I added (feel free to gulp) a single athletic stripe down the back and hopefully makes it usable.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to save for a downpayment on a house but dam. The new ulster coat and the new peacoat demand a purchase. Need to sell off my old peacoat... it just doesn't compare. I need dat giant collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads