• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything particularly modern about it, so I'd be curious to hear your rationale for thinking that. The product description even states that "the silhouette is inspired by a vintage piece of workwear", which really shows. If we ignore the offensively ugly fabric and color for a second, the design and silhouette still conjures up images of a depression era newspaper boy in my head. There's a reason why jackets like that went completely out of style, while a chalk stripe suit never really did. I'll grant you that a chalk stripe suit is on the more traditional end of the scale today, but I don't get the retired comment. Why would a retiree wear a business suit?

You didn't realize that we've been wearing vintage inspired pieces for the longest time? Yet some people have been able to make or convert those into modern casual garments thus making them usable. Shops and brands have been churning out chore jackets for years and the guys associating it with depression era are mostly dead. In any case I can pull off that aqua jacket really well even if most can't.

Chalk stripe suit has disappeared from the offices where I'm at for at least the last 5 years. You can probably try to pull it off if you're a jazz musician in a club, otherwise any young dude using one is trying too hard to fit into the corp culture or just didn't get educated enough on fashion.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't realize that we've been wearing vintage inspired pieces for the longest time? Yet some people have been able to make or convert those into modern casual garments thus making them usable. Shops and brands have been churning out chore jackets for years and the guys associating it with depression era are mostly dead. In any case I can pull off that aqua jacket really well even if most can't.

Chalk stripe suit has disappeared from the offices where I'm at for at least the last 5 years. You can probably try to pull it off if you're a jazz musician in a club, otherwise any young dude using one is trying too hard to fit into the corp culture or just didn't get educated enough on fashion.
I can't imagine anyone pulling off that horrid blue coat but show us that you can.
Surprise me.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be the forum police, but is anything you’re wearing in this photo Spier? If so, great. Please let us know. If not, I mean no disrespect, but given this is an affiliate forum, it seems to work best for the group when their products are showcased by posters and insights shared.

No more pics of Simon and other influencers influencing SFers on how to wear things I guess. What BS...

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
As everybody here, I saw the preview for the fall season and, although I like the peacoats and I'm glad some longer coats are being offered as well, I'm really disappointed not to see any Polo Coats this year. Is this just a first drop? Can we expect at least some Polo coats this year? Or is this it? I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything, to see whether I'll hold out or look elsewhere.

exfalso

Reaction score
As everybody here, I saw the preview for the fall season and, although I like the peacoats and I'm glad some longer coats are being offered as well, I'm really disappointed not to see any Polo Coats this year. Is this just a first drop? Can we expect at least some Polo coats this year? Or is this it? I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything, to see whether I'll hold out or look elsewhere.

It's all due to supply chain disruptions. From what I've heard from Rick, all the "preview" items will be properly stocked some time in October (normally means end of October, from my experience) and that's when most of the fall season items will arrive, including the polo coats. I highly doubt Rick will stop offering the polo coats, given how well they've sold for the past few years.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone pulling off that horrid blue coat but show us that you can.
Surprise me.

Start a thread petitioning to Fok to lift my hellban so I can post pics. SF would be a lot more entertaining.

jermyzy

Reaction score
That medium blue herringbone coat is mine as soon as it stocks! Someone had posted earlier that trench coats would be coming this year? Any teaser shots?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the photo, it does look longer, but I don't see a size/fit chart for the ulster coats to confirm. Do you know the length difference?

I do agree that the longer the better. I love my wool DB, but a longer version of same would be welcome

I don’t, just judging by the picture compared to the DB coat. Pockets look lower and there appears to be more space, looks like it could be 4-6” longer (which would put it in the territory of the balmacaan)

Shoeaffic

Reaction score
It's all due to supply chain disruptions. From what I've heard from Rick, all the "preview" items will be properly stocked some time in October (normally means end of October, from my experience) and that's when most of the fall season items will arrive, including the polo coats. I highly doubt Rick will stop offering the polo coats, given how well they've sold for the past few years.
This is great to hear! Thanks! Will be on the lookout. Not in a hurry; this allows me to start the piggy bank.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of the sondrio cotton/linens with flat front, side tabs and enjoy them as well. In some cases I think just sizing up for a higher rise rather than actually purchasing the 'high rise' version has worked out better for me. It is very fabric, season dependent. Also, I just change my mind constantly about what feels right so what do I know.
Wow! I Never Throught To Size Up, Not A Fan Of Flat Fronts, But I Can See That Feeling Better In The Waist. Again, All Sales Items, Of The 5, (1) Is A 36 Conmp, They Feel Great On The Skin...

20210922_193643.jpg

I Need To De-bast These And Try On...

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spier And Mackay, Wow! These Drops Are Amazing, Everything Including The Pricing... :worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads