• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

schraiber

Reaction score
Slim jackets + Contemp trousers is the way to go for me. Or Slim trousers sized up. Drop 6 slim trousers don't look good with their jackets to my eye. The transition from the bottom of the jacket to the slimness of the thigh is quite awkward.
Yup this is a problem I have. 40 Slim jacket is close to optimal for me (I think a 40L Slim would be better but they don't make that OTR) but the 34 Slim trousers are just a bit too slim. I've thought about trying 38 Contemp but my sense is that it's look pretty similar, actually, just based on the measurements. Oh well, my suits will always look a bit weird from Spier. At least for wearing an odd jacket I can make it work better

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be the forum police, but is anything you’re wearing in this photo Spier? If so, great. Please let us know. If not, I mean no disrespect, but given this is an affiliate forum, it seems to work best for the group when their products are showcased by posters and insights shared.
Ah, but in this case you are being the forum police. You better go back a few pages to where Riva posted the most butt ugly
coat I've seen on Styleforum...and oh my gosh!!! it was not S&M. And it said who the other maker was! Does Riva get a demerit?
And perhaps the shirt in my pic is Spier, perhaps it isn't.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be the forum police, but is anything you’re wearing in this photo Spier? If so, great. Please let us know. If not, I mean no disrespect, but given this is an affiliate forum, it seems to work best for the group when their products are showcased by posters and insights shared.
This comment from Riva was the sole reason I posted the pics...
"Far more modern than an oldschool chalk stripe suit people who are supposed to be retired wear."

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah
This comment from Riva was the sole reason I posted the pics...
"Far more modern than an oldschool chalk stripe suit people who are supposed to be retired wear."
Ah, gotcha. My bias is showing. I'm used to context. Absent any text, I didn't know that your post was in response to Riva. Apologies. Carry on.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the aforementioned SM chalk stripe suit. It’s a beauty. I’ve been wearing it in court for two years, but I guess I should retire and move to Florida? ?
Sounds pretty good actually

I Too, Have This Suit And I've Never Worn It, Lockdown And Warm (Southern Cali) Weather, Maybe I Need To Retire, I Know This Is Getting Old! ? ??

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah

Ah, gotcha. My bias is showing. I'm used to context. Absent any text, I didn't know that your post was in response to Riva. Apologies. Carry on.
No worries. I shouldn't assume everyone is following each post.
I understand this is the affiliate S&M thread and always respectful of that.

cr2596

Reaction score
So I've received my 36 slim and its actually a little bigger than expected.

The shoulders seem okay but it seems wide around the waist, which I know can be tailored easily. I'm more concerned about the baggy arms and seemingly too-high armholes.The jacket also seems kind of long to me compared to my other suits.
View attachment 1673308 View attachment 1673309 View attachment 1673312 View attachment 1673313 View attachment 1673314

First time buying from S&M. Is it worthwhile for me to return this slim size 36 for a 34 or 35 short? Or will a tailor be able to slim down and shorten the entire sleeves. I think i'd ask the tailor to shorten the lenght and width of the the sleeves.

Thanks
The jacket length is fine, slightly short even. I’d keep it and have any alterations needed made by a tailor. The pants should be sized up, though. They don’t suit the jacket or flow of your silhouette at all. Go up a size and choose contemporary, then adjust the waist to fit.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were flannel chalk stripes. I have the Charcoal one and love it but it is for cold climate wear for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads