• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_a21.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_aaf.jpeg

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Regarding that Toddy Snyder "farmers market jacket" @Riva linked...keep in mind we still haven't seen S$M's upcoming chore coats that are delayed. I'm sure they'll have more tasteful fabric than the Todd Snyder piece, but should be somewhere in the ballpark if you're looking for a completely unstructured, casual piece. I am pretty sure Rick was referring to them as "chore blazers" in this thread several weeks back when mentioning the upcoming releases...so that wording makes me wonder if they might have lapels.

zurich64

Reaction score
Regarding that Toddy Snyder "farmers market jacket" @Riva linked...keep in mind we still haven't seen S$M's upcoming chore coats that are delayed. I'm sure they'll have more tasteful fabric than the Todd Snyder piece, but should be somewhere in the ballpark if you're looking for a completely unstructured, casual piece. I am pretty sure Rick was referring to them as "chore blazers" in this thread several weeks back when mentioning the upcoming releases...so that wording makes me wonder if they might have lapels.
A chore coat in nicer fabrics is indeed very useful. Unbuttoned, these are more like well fitted shirt jackets, but have a more formal look, and can be worn in formal settings.
I have an old one that I want to replace. Unfortunately, most of those I see, from Walker slater etc, are more like the coat of Monty Don, and can not be used in work places by most people.
I look forward to SM version.

Twentyfiveye

Reaction score
I've decided to go with slim fit 36 reg. Also getting an extra slim 15/34 dress shirt to try sizing.

Whose got a referral code?

So I've received my 36 slim and its actually a little bigger than expected.

The shoulders seem okay but it seems wide around the waist, which I know can be tailored easily. I'm more concerned about the baggy arms and seemingly too-high armholes.The jacket also seems kind of long to me compared to my other suits.
SPSF1.JPG
SFSP2.JPG
SFSP3.JPG
SFSP4.JPG
SFPS6.JPG

First time buying from S&M. Is it worthwhile for me to return this slim size 36 for a 34 or 35 short? Or will a tailor be able to slim down and shorten the entire sleeves. I think i'd ask the tailor to shorten the lenght and width of the the sleeves.

Thanks

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone school me.

There is the incoming sweatshirt KNIT crew neck seen here

Then there is the Mid gray crew neck.

So the sweatshirt knit crew is a more refined version of the typical sweatshirt. I guess my question is is there much of a difference in the sweatshirt knit and the regular merino crewneck? How would you wear it? etc

No one :)

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shoulders seem okay but it seems wide around the waist, which I know can be tailored easily. I'm more concerned about the baggy arms and seemingly too-high armholes.The jacket also seems kind of long to me compared to my other suits.
View attachment 1673308 View attachment 1673309 View attachment 1673312 View attachment 1673313 View attachment 1673314

First time buying from S&M. Is it worthwhile for me to return this slim size 36 for a 34 or 35 short? Or will a tailor be able to slim down and shorten the entire sleeves. I think i'd ask the tailor to shorten the lenght and width of the the sleeves.

Thanks
For the love of He the almighty… do not size down! Length is fine and very appropriate not long at all. If arms are baggy that can be pinned up and slimmed slightly. As for the armholes that’s a lot harder and probably not worth it to fix. Overall I think it looks good give it a nip and tuck here and there and you’re golden. Also fit pic with shoes that you intend to wear with suit would be helpful next time.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw it is a RTW suit at a very good value. Cannot have it all and if one desires things like higher armholes slim sleeves etc etc etc MTM / bespoke is way to go. But within budget and accounting for tailoring costs it’s great for its potential after bringing to tailor.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of He the almighty… do not size down! Length is fine and very appropriate not long at all. If arms are baggy that can be pinned up and slimmed slightly. As for the armholes that’s a lot harder and probably not worth it to fix. Overall I think it looks good give it a nip and tuck here and there and you’re golden. Also fit pic with shoes that you intend to wear with suit would be helpful next time.
+1. Do not size down. The jacket looks good. I also wouldn’t slim the sleeves down personally. They currently look proportional. Why would you want your arms to look skinny?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1673308 View attachment 1673309 View attachment 1673312 View attachment 1673313 View attachment 1673314

Thanks
Jacket looks too short to me, and pants proportionally look too slim. Jacket sleeves are fine.

dench127

Reaction score
Slim jackets + Contemp trousers is the way to go for me. Or Slim trousers sized up. Drop 6 slim trousers don't look good with their jackets to my eye. The transition from the bottom of the jacket to the slimness of the thigh is quite awkward.

zurich64

Reaction score
Bringing this oldie back into rotation now that temps are falling with this Zignone wool/silk speckled herringbone
IMG_20210922_115720~2.jpg

+1 for Zignone blue herringbone. I am also using it on cooler days. Here it is in front of Volta monument in Como, Italy.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DapperPhilly Is this suit Spier?
Not trying to be the forum police, but is anything you’re wearing in this photo Spier? If so, great. Please let us know. If not, I mean no disrespect, but given this is an affiliate forum, it seems to work best for the group when their products are showcased by posters and insights shared.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads