• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recall whether it was VBC or Minnis but Spier had a navy and a charcoal chalkstripe flannel RTW suits two years ago. Not sure whether you were referring to a specific flannel though.
Thanks for thst piece of info. Didn't know that. Must've been before I discovered Spier Mackay.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like It Or Not, I'm Genuine, I'm The Real Deal!

Black Image.jpg

Love your haters they are your Biggest Fans..
Lets Just Stick To Spier And Mackay Clothing!

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was this one reviewed by @vriche

And here I am wishing for something more forward and daring...

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Funny, it's low enough for me to consider getting more than one. I feel like this kind of sweater (100% heavy-ish merino, lots of texture, raglan sleeves, fully-fashioned maybe?) typically retails for double that at high street retailers (if they carry it at all), and hundreds more at luxury brands.

Oh, yes. To clarify, I wasn't saying it's overpriced. I own way too many sweaters and can't justify dropping that much on a sweater I realistically won't wear all that often. I'll drop that (and more) on a Shetland I'll wear on a weekly basis, but this is more of a niche item that will likely only get the call a handful of times each year.

Imperatores

Reaction score
It was this one reviewed by @vriche

That is such a beautiful chalk stripe. How awesome would a Neo cut 3-piece suit in a similar fabric be?

And here I am wishing for something more forward and daring...

Oh yeah, that coveted "bathroom rug from the 60s"-look. So much better than an elegant flannel chalk stripe suit. Are you okay, mate? We may need to stage some sort of intervention here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, it's low enough for me to consider getting more than one. I feel like this kind of sweater (100% heavy-ish merino, lots of texture, raglan sleeves, fully-fashioned maybe?) typically retails for double that at high street retailers (if they carry it at all), and hundreds more at luxury brands.

I don't see thick sweaters as sustainable as my kids refuse to wear itchy heavy sweaters. The new gen just prefers Uniqlo's advanced ultra light but warm puffers for winter travel. Given today's weight limitations it doesn't make sense to haul sweaters either. Heavy knits and sweaters are the first things that I put for sale. There are plenty of cooler options for heavy stuff on sale too like shearling, goose downed suedes... sometimes it makes more sense to spend a bit more.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that coveted "bathroom rug from the 60s"-look. So much better than an elegant flannel chalk stripe suit. Are you okay, mate? We may need to stage some sort of intervention here.

Far more modern than an oldschool chalk stripe suit people who are supposed to be retired wear.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is such a beautiful chalk stripe. How awesome would a Neo cut 3-piece suit in a similar fabric be?

That is one of the fugliest SC's I have ever seen.

Brennenman

Reaction score
I don't see thick sweaters as sustainable as my kids refuse to wear itchy heavy sweaters. The new gen just prefers Uniqlo's advanced ultra light but warm puffers for winter travel.
I think it depends on where your from, here in Utah thick sweaters are all the rage right now, and a lot of people including kids will layer them pretty often seeing how walks to school in the morning during this time of year ranges anywhere from -5 to 45 degrees on a given day, so I think it just honestly depends.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Color is bad, but I like the concept of it.

I don't. That type of collar and lapel just doesn't work on workwear style jackets, imo. It's supposed to be a more casual and relaxed alternative to a SC, but just reads like a sloppy and weird looking SC to me. It's neither fish nor fowl. That niche is much better filled by something like a dressy overshirt, for instance.

Far more modern than an oldschool chalk stripe suit people who are supposed to be retired wear.

I don't see anything particularly modern about it, so I'd be curious to hear your rationale for thinking that. The product description even states that "the silhouette is inspired by a vintage piece of workwear", which really shows. If we ignore the offensively ugly fabric and color for a second, the design and silhouette still conjures up images of a depression era newspaper boy in my head. There's a reason why jackets like that went completely out of style, while a chalk stripe suit never really did. I'll grant you that a chalk stripe suit is on the more traditional end of the scale today, but I don't get the retired comment. Why would a retiree wear a business suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads