• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown/navy/tan micro houndstooth
IMG_20210921_075104.jpg
IMG_20210921_075303.jpg
IMG_20210921_100443_edit_1159343001001219.jpg
IMG_20210921_100524_edit_1159374986384547.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's your first sportcoat, I'd avoid getting gray. It can easily look like a suit separate or just plain off. I would go with a navy or dark brown to start with.

As for the Donegal fabric, you do not want to wear that in warmer temperatures. You'll be sweating buckets.

It has patch pockets and the fabric is very casual unlike the usual plain solid greys. It would be rare to find one in a suit and I'd automatically assume it's a standalone jacket. Having said that I don't see it as a versatile grey if this is a first time sportjacket.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Looking to pickup my first sport coat and not sure which of the below to get. Feel the hopsack one is better since it can be worn year around? The Donegal one I like but with that fabric can you wear that in the summer and spring? This would mainly be for work, conferences, and the occasional night out. I live in the northeast so weather is all 4 seasons

I have a gray donegal sport coat from last season S&M (not that one) and I find it to be probably my most useful fall/winter sportcoat. It is not a 4 season fabric however

some people will say that gray sport coats aren’t useful but most of those people probably wear a lot of gray pants

I mostly wear khaki, olive and navy chinos and jeans, so a textured gray sport coat like that donegal works great for all of those.

I don’t personally like the other gray sport coat you posted. To me, that looks like an orphaned suit jacket. I think you need some texture in a gray sport coat to make it look sufficiently casual

if you truly only want to have 1 sport coat for year round, I suggest you should be looking at something in navy in either a serge or hopsack

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's only the case if you're kind of fat to begin with, imo. If you have a bit of an athletic build (like @MrFingers appear to have), a cable knit will only enhance it by making your arms look even larger relative to your body.
Or if you’re slim and 135lbs like myself, anything you can get to appear slightly larger helps ?

MaE

Reaction score
Hi everyone! For those of you who have S&M long-sleeved button-down polos, are the measurements provided by the company on their website accurate? I'm not too sure about the sleeve-length, is it measured with or without the cuff? I'm asking because 64cm (25,2 inches) seems to be on the shorter side for a size M polo (and on the pictures on their website it looks like sleeve and body length are quite similar in but that's not reflected that way at all in their sizerchart) ? Thanks

zurich64

Reaction score
Looking to pickup my first sport coat and not sure which of the below to get. Feel the hopsack one is better since it can be worn year around? The Donegal one I like but with that fabric can you wear that in the summer and spring? This would mainly be for work, conferences, and the occasional night out. I live in the northeast so weather is all 4 seasons

Get it in Navy, or charcoal, in fresco, hopsack or similar light weave wool. Tweed will be uncomfortable in late spring and summer.
Light grey does not work as well for evening wear in most places, so to have it as your first jacket is not a good idea.
Dark blue in mixed fabrics like wool silk linen mix is also a good choice. Best is to have two pieces, one in linen for warmer days.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the new high rise chinos? They look interesting, but the measurements make me think they are very tapered. The hem openings are very narrow even on the contemporary.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First sportcoat, don't get fancy. Navy hopsack is a great choice. I wouldn't add something like that donegal until #3 or 4 at least.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
Spier dipping their toe into the birdseye sweater game, nice! At $128 it's probably on par or superior to Bean's offering at $179.

I still have my ancient wool/rayon Bean iteration for the 80s. That thing feels like you're wearing chainmail lol. My favorite sweater by a mile.

Hopefully the lattice turtlenecks are next up to get added to the preview.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the new high rise chinos? They look interesting, but the measurements make me think they are very tapered. The hem openings are very narrow even on the contemporary.

No, haven't tried them, but the measurements are interesting....in my size, the rise is less than inch higher than the standard chinos. Seems like a small difference, tho I'll grant it's kindof a key inch, taking them from a just smidge low to a solid mid rise pair of pants.

And yeah, the hem openings are slimmed a touch as well, but probably unnoticeable from the standard cut. Approx 1/3" smaller total circumference. Everyone has different opinions on pant leg slimness, but I like S$M's contemporary cut...for me, they're just about the perfect middle ground providing an overall classic look with drape that is subtly cleaned up.

I don't see any mention of whether the high rise chinos are flat front or pleated. I would think flat front, but if I'm not mistaken, all their other high rise pants have a pleat?

Stylewords

Reaction score
No, haven't tried them, but the measurements are interesting....in my size, the rise is less than inch higher than the standard chinos. Seems like a small difference, tho I'll grant it's kindof a key inch, taking them from a just smidge low to a solid mid rise pair of pants.

And yeah, the hem openings are slimmed a touch as well, but probably unnoticeable from the standard cut. Approx 1/3" smaller total circumference. Everyone has different opinions on pant leg slimness, but I like S$M's contemporary cut...for me, they're just about the perfect middle ground providing an overall classic look with drape that is subtly cleaned up.

I don't see any mention of whether the high rise chinos are flat front or pleated. I would think flat front, but if I'm not mistaken, all their other high rise pants have a pleat?
Yes, I suspect that the extra rise, even if less than an inch, will be noticeable and give a good mid rice trouser. I'm hoping the narrower hem won't be a problem. I'll wait for more opinions. I'm pretty sure they are flat fronted.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forced my son to put on a SM sportjacket from last year and the first thing he said (not knowing anything sartorial) was, "The holes around the arms are so big the whole jacket goes up when I move my arms around." I'm glad this glaring issue is being addressed for next summer.

cale.robertson

Reaction score
I forced my son to put on a SM sportjacket from last year and the first thing he said (not knowing anything sartorial) was, "The holes around the arms are so big the whole jacket goes up when I move my arms around." I'm glad this glaring issue is being addressed for next summer.
Oddly enough, I feel the exact opposite. All of my current SM sport coats (42r contemp) have zero extra room in the armhole. I'm worried that the new, higher armhole will cut into my armpit, making it unwearable. But, RTW can't please everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads