• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

delfam

Reaction score
Looking to pickup my first sport coat and not sure which of the below to get. Feel the hopsack one is better since it can be worn year around? The Donegal one I like but with that fabric can you wear that in the summer and spring? This would mainly be for work, conferences, and the occasional night out. I live in the northeast so weather is all 4 seasons

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to pickup my first sport coat and not sure which of the below to get. Feel the hopsack one is better since it can be worn year around? The Donegal one I like but with that fabric can you wear that in the summer and spring? This would mainly be for work, conferences, and the occasional night out. I live in the northeast so weather is all 4 seasons

If it's your first sportcoat, I'd avoid getting gray. It can easily look like a suit separate or just plain off. I would go with a navy or dark brown to start with.

As for the Donegal fabric, you do not want to wear that in warmer temperatures. You'll be sweating buckets.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere cable sweaters are up as preview along with plain cashmere crew necks

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Fall 2021 Preview Page

Attachments

• 1632184454128.png
    1632184454128.png
    695 KB · Views: 53
  • 1632184477063.png
    1632184477063.png
    949.3 KB · Views: 79

carterjones

Reaction score
If it's your first sportcoat, I'd avoid getting gray. It can easily look like a suit separate or just plain off. I would go with a navy or dark brown to start with.

As for the Donegal fabric, you do not want to wear that in warmer temperatures. You'll be sweating buckets.
Why would grey look more like a suit separate than navy? I can see this being the case for charcoal, but not so much for mid grey.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Why would grey look more like a suit separate than navy? I can see this being the case for charcoal, but not so much for mid grey.

I think grey is a hard SC color to pair with pants. You're pretty much limiting yourself to navy trousers. I think a mid-grey solid color SC reads as an ophaned suit jacket. Navy, brown, and dark green are much more versatile IMO. If this is really his first SC, and it needs to cover a bunch of different scenarios, he'd be much better served with a navy hopsack. It will pair well with pretty much any color trousers, except navy and can be more easily dressed down.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Dark green polo sweater arrived. How did you guys wear last year's polo sweater? I tried it on, and it seemed kind of itchy to me on the parts of my skin my undershirt didn't cover. I had a polo sweater years ago that I only wore over top of a button down shirt, but I really didn't love the look. Do you guys wear long sleeve t's? Or just get used to the itch?

MrFingers

Reaction score
Also received my Aran crewneck a few days ago. Absolute stunner, weight is heavy and soft so feels like a nice textured blanket over me.

Agreed on the look of it being more casual than dressy, but I never intended to wear it over a shirt as it looks dorky to me. But on its own and under a tshirt or long sleeve it’s pretty great.

if anyone cares for sizing, even though it’s very particular to your own proportions: I went with a medium, 5’10 and 175lb broad shoulders and chest, long arms.

Attachments

• 6DE3E27D-3C9B-4625-B0B7-4CD0D9DEB067.jpeg
    6DE3E27D-3C9B-4625-B0B7-4CD0D9DEB067.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 80DCE1F6-D92C-4E2B-BC58-B4B112BC87C3.jpeg
    80DCE1F6-D92C-4E2B-BC58-B4B112BC87C3.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 99

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also received my Aran crewneck a few days ago. Absolute stunner, weight is heavy and soft so feels like a nice textured blanket over me.

Agreed on the look of it being more casual than dressy, but I never intended to wear it over a shirt as it looks dorky to me. But on its own and under a tshirt or long sleeve it’s pretty great.

if anyone cares for sizing, even though it’s very particular to your own proportions: I went with a medium, 5’10 and 175lb broad shoulders and chest, long arms.

Wow! That Is One Stunning Sweater, Causal For Sure! :eek:

I Love The Wide Of Those Wristbands...

alkydrinker

Reaction score
You can argue against it if you want, but conventional wisdom is gray is not a great odd jacket color. One big exception is a gray herringbone tweed, which somehow looks great with almost everything.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Oh man, if only those cashmere sweaters were shorter length as well...

I wonder if the plain crewnecks fits more like the merino cable knits or the plain merino sweaters. Would be great if they had the slightly more relaxed fit of the cable knits.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is much better.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cable knit usually makes one looks fatter and older but this is absolutely stunning. Of course your posture helps as well but I may just get one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics