• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been asking for both for quite some time now.

As for the latter, VBC has some interesting fabrics available on their website that Rick is able to source https://vitalebarberiscanonico.com/collection/fabrics/

I've contemplated it for some time but always end up checking off other things on my list. I think the reason being that it's extremely difficult getting the fabric, stripes and other characteristics correct by pictures.

With that being said, I'd rather have a chalkstripe in a thick and fuzzy flannel fabric than a pinstripe in a smooth worsted fabric. However, I don't see Spier offering any of it RTW.
True. True.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a pattern for the standard cut SC with 10cm lapel and 3r2 but it's not on the website. It's the same pattern that was used on the Guabello denim blue from last fall, I think one of the DiPray's from FW21 is also using the same pattern.

I have an MTO en route that is based off the same pattern, will share pics soon.
Appreciate it, good sir.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Today in the hot seat is this year F/W deep v-neck sweater.
It's chunkier, wider at the top, and shorter length than the regular merino sweaters with same size. Personally, I'd have it in even a deeper v and a tad shorter length to really give it that old charm vibes, but that's just my personal taste. This is medium and it measures accurately with the size chart.

1632082348828.jpg

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's chunkier, wider at the top, and shorter length than the regular merino sweaters with same size. Personally, I'd have it in even a deeper v and a tad shorter length to really give it that old charm vibes, but that's just my personal taste. This is medium and it measures accurately with the size chart.

View attachment 1671623

Looks good! Out of interest what size SC/shirt do you usually take?

I ordered a M and wear a 15.5 contemp shirt /40 contemp SC.

JIMIG

Reaction score

View attachment 1671623
Thank you for sharing. Would love to se more pics, including some with a collared shirt underneath.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1671623
Looks good. I like the shorter length
Assuming you bought your normal size, is there enough room to wear the sweater over a collared shirt?

schraiber

Reaction score

View attachment 1671623
Looks really good! I'm actually surprised---the V is honestly not that deep.

Imperatores

Reaction score
different fabric manufacturer, if i remember right. i think last year was brisbane. so maybe that's part of it.

Maybe that's part of it with the corduroys specifically, but it seems like we're getting a price hike on other trousers as well. The standard cut VBC flannels are 30$ more expensive this time around.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's part of it with the corduroys specifically, but it seems like we're getting a price hike on other trousers as well. The standard cut VBC flannels are 30$ more expensive this time around.
I think this is due to the price of shipping goods dramatically increasing from Covid and that blockage in the Suez Canal. Rick is shipping things in by air, which is even more expensive, to get stuff in on time

Imperatores

Reaction score
I think this is due to the price of shipping goods dramatically increasing from Covid and that blockage in the Suez Canal. Rick is shipping things in by air, which is even more expensive, to get stuff in on time

Sounds reasonable enough. The shipping prices must be absurd to cause a 22 % price increase in the end product. Seems like it's only really affecting trousers, though. It's not like 168 USD for a pair of VBC flannels is in any way expensive. That's still very good value, although it puts S&M in the same price range as more local alternatives for those of us that need to take import costs into account as well.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the fabric brand is much much much better than Brisbane Moss or this was just a one-off brand trial thus less fabric order, it's a price hike to make up for the brutal retail year since COVID hit. Trousers are popular and probably sell much faster than other items so it makes business sense to hike them up a bit. although at 178 that's even more expensive than Yeossal semi-custom MTO territory which uses Brisbane moss.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the fabric brand is much much much better than Brisbane Moss or this was just a one-off brand trial thus less fabric order, it's a price hike to make up for the brutal retail year since COVID hit. Trousers are popular and probably sell much faster than other items so it makes business sense to hike them up a bit. although at 178 that's even more expensive than Yeossal semi-custom MTO territory which uses Brisbane moss.

I've resorted to just ordering Sondrio linen fabrics myself from overseas and make my own pants through a very good tailor. Result came out identical to Ascot Chang which is superior to SM. Total cost per bespoke pants inc fabric is less than $100.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've resorted to just ordering Sondrio linen fabrics myself from overseas and make my own pants through a very good tailor. Result came out identical to Ascot Chang which is superior to SM. Total cost per bespoke pants inc fabric is less than $100.
No idea where you live but 100 dollars won’t fly here in nyc for full bespoke trousers. Not including the CMT costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads