• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking for size/fit feedback. These SCs are 38 slim (houndstooth) and 36 contemporary. In both cases I don’t like how the back looks (arms, maybe shoulders or the back itself) and I’m wondering if this can be fixed by a tailor or whether I’m doomed to always need MTM/MTO/bespoke. I’ll appreciate your thoughts.

36/38 Conmp, Let Your Tailor Go To Work!

Cmezavz

Reaction score
very curved back you have , but the 36 contemporary for sure looks better. does it feel more comfortable on you? you can see the back of the 36 cont. is much cleaner than the 38 slim. also looks more proportional with regards to the sleeve length (have u altered the slim length? looks out of proportion with jacket length tbh). But yes the pulling on the back can be fixed by a tailor just a matter of opening up the back, giving more space to accomodate your curvature... i think. don't kill me if i'm wrong.
Thanks for your input. I havent altered the sleeve length of either of them - I just rolled in the sleeves of the 38. I have shorter arms. I think you are right, I didn’t noticed before my back was so curved. ?

Cmezavz

Reaction score
Is this your normal stance or is it possible that you’re standing straighter than you normally would for these photos? I ask because your stance is very erect. In this case the back balance is too long, leading to excess fabric in the small of your back.

If this is your natural posture, you may indeed need custom. If it is not, retake the photos in your natural stance.
It is my normal stance; I just realized I have very curved back. What do you mean about back balance being too long?Do you know if this is an easy fix for a tailor? Or the arrangements will cost more than the jacket?

Cmezavz

Reaction score
How do you feel about the fit of the aran? Looks good in the pic, as far as I can tell. Do you have any other S&M sweaters from previous season?If so, hows the sizing compare?
It is just about right for me. Size is very similar or equal to last year cable knits.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@orange fury The sweater looks good on you. You pulled it off. I can't pull it off as it's not my style and that's okay!

Folks, clothing should be fun and bring you joy. All these rules are trivial and boring.

zurich64

Reaction score
not sure if you’re serious and didn’t read my post, or if you’re trolling. If you’re serious:

I would never wear a cricket sweater this way, typically I wear one with an ocbd and either chinos or gray dress pants. I’ve been assisting with hurricane recovery and was in a golf shirt because I’ve spent the week coordinating disaster response and have been on outdoor work sites. The sweater came in the mail yesterday while I was out, so I was just trying it on to make sure it fit and took a pic so people here could see a real life (non-marketing) photo of it. You’re correct in that a cream sweater (especially with a looser knit) will show a colored shirt through it more than another color/style of sweater. For that matter, a sweater like this wouldn’t pair with denim either.

re: venues to wear one- let’s be honest, for actual athletic events there’s clothing far more suited to that. Though I don’t wear them to the office, I have no problem wearing one to stuff on the weekends that require something more than casual wear, but less than a jacket.
It was a serious comment.

I grew up wearing these sweaters, for playing cricket. Only purpose of these sweaters was to keep one warm on cricket field.

There is a navy version, which is more versatile, and can be used as a regular sweater without looking odd.

Perhaps if one lives in a place where a white cricket sweater is not so strongly associated with the game of cricket, one can walk around wearing these anywhere they want. But for many of us, it is a sort of uniform, and just looks odd to see someone wearing it as a regular piece of clothing, and comes across as a costume look. Wearing it inside the house or in a pub to watch a cricket match on telly with your friends is also common.

zurich64

Reaction score
Young Man, Why would you waste your time explaining this again, to trollers, redirect him back to your first post, he just wanted everyone to know, he's been to the country club, He Should Post Something? Blah, Blah, Blah...

Clothing should be fun! If you brought it, wear it anyway you like, if mine (XL) fits I'll wear a red t-shirt under it, if it fits I'll rock it...

Edit; Hell, I'm just waiting, I'll wear over top of this shirt in cream trousers!

View attachment 1671392
Absolutely, wear the cricket sweater with your pajama trousers?. Dressing like a clown is not crime. Each to their own. ?

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my fisherman roll neck sweater only when I go fishing on my trawler. And my Barbour when I go hunting. Or just inspecting the lands I own. My Hawaiian shirt is, you guessed it, only worn when I’m on Maui.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
1632028703272.png

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, wear the cricket sweater with your pajama trousers?. Dressing like a clown is not crime. Each to their own. ?

All because you didn't read his post, Who's The Clown! Who Gives A **** If You Played Cricket! Post A Fit!

zurich64

Reaction score
All because you didn't read his post, Who's The Clown! Who Gives A **** If You Played Cricket! Post A Fit!
Only a clown would think of fit picture with a cricket sweater. It is a loosely fitted garment, to allow movement of arms to catch a ball or move your bat. But ignorance is bliss. As i said, feel free to dress like a buffoon, I don't really give a crap.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to impress your girlfriend.

Also, I just threw it on over what I wore to work to see if it fit, obviously not wearing it like this when I actually wear it. I've been working 17+ hour days this week on disaster recovery from the hurricane we were hit by and you've already made it clear you don't like cricket sweaters, so my capacity to give a **** what you or your girlfriend think at this point is nonexistent.

Ah but I didn't mention before what other think about it. So there it was :)

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a clown would think of fit picture with a cricket sweater. It is a loosely fitted garment, to allow movement of arms to catch a ball or move your bat. But ignorance is bliss. As i said, feel free to dress like a buffoon, I don't really give a crap.

Troller, Post Something, Anything Other Than Your (name calling) Ignorance And Bliss...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troller, Post Something, Anything Other Than Your (name calling) Ignorance And Bliss...

But he's not trolling, he's simply being... honest. You want more back patting, multi-likes, and hi-fives on every photo posted by all members including ****** looking ones just to make them feel better and shop more? That's not being a real helpful friend. Btw the cricket looks awesome on that grandpa pic someone posted as I mentioned before it works if you're as old as him. Like proportions it's about what fits you best at present.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But he's not trolling, he's simply being... honest. You want more back patting, multi-likes, and hi-fives on every photo posted by all members including ****** looking ones just to make them feel better and shop more? That's not being a real helpful friend. Btw the cricket looks awesome on that grandpa pic someone posted as I mentioned before it works if you're as old as him. Like proportions it's about what fits you best at present.

Bull ****!
Who's doing the back patting? What Are You Talking About, This Guy Has Nothing To Offer The Forum. Period, I Could Care Less About Your Likes, I Love Me, And That Makes It Easier To Love You, I Don't Have To Every Post A Picture On Here, Ever, I'm Still Going To Love Me, Hell, You Just Returned From Getting Your Feelings Hurt! I Don't Have Time, To Take This Forum That Serious, And I Don't Owe You An Explanation...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads