• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to expand my shirt collection and was wondering how the S&M shirts compare to Suitsupply relative to their prices since Suitsupply's seem to be 30 - 50 dollars more. Also is ordering shirts MTM worth it if RTW sizing fits pretty well?
SM>>SuSu shirts in terms of price, quality, style. I’ve wanted to dip my toe in the SM MTM shirt realm but I’ve read the outcome and process can vary. I’ll let those who've gone the MTM shirt route weigh in. But SM OTR shirts are good enough for me.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn any of my heavy and rougher sportjackets for... ever. I got maybe 7 of them and they never go out even once so they're up for sale. If we need a jacket for sporting activities there are lighter but warmer jackets out there. If we want luxury the are plenty at similar cost or less. In the end rough woolly sportjackets are useless.
Silly shitpost, as per uuuuusssh lol. Completely overgeneralized nonsense. I do, however, appreciate that you personally have no practical need/use for heavier SCs.
Just received a MTO suit (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---gray-glen-check-865205-1-mto-s) I had made with the higher armhole. @dapperclassic mentioned that the change (1 cm) was unnoticeable. For me, it's noticeable. I guess it depends on your build. I have large overarms from hitting the gym years ago. If you're borderline between sizes like me or if you're an athletic build, you might feel the change in terms of fit. Not to restricting, but I can feel the change. This is not a knock on Spier though, as, as I said earlier, I have large overarms/biceps/shoulders.
Bummer. Where do you feel the change most acutely? Snugger than preferred on the bicep/tricep area? Or does it restrict at the chest/shoulders?

As an aside, are these pre-orders a micro drop of sorts, with more stock incoming...or is this the whole package? If so, missed out on the Donegal, which would be le sad.

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Looking to expand my shirt collection and was wondering how the S&M shirts compare to Suitsupply relative to their prices since Suitsupply's seem to be 30 - 50 dollars more. Also is ordering shirts MTM worth it if RTW sizing fits pretty well?

I like the fit and range of collar options of S&M RTW shirts much better than SS, without even considering the price difference. The Contemporary Fit fits me almost as well as my MTM shirts. I have a Contemporary fit sport shirt that fits a little baggier than I'd like, but I can get it tailored for $20-30, no big deal. If the RTW fits well enough, I wouldn't mess with MTM.

Hudson

Reaction score
Lately I've gotten into 100% cotton heavier weight denim and raw denim thus discovered that jeans are, in fact, not comfortable. Putting on my Spier chinos the day after I've worn jeans is like a glorious release from suffering.

Writing this out makes me question my life decisions...
Yup. I haven't worn denim jeans in 8 years.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Lately I've gotten into 100% cotton heavier weight denim and raw denim thus discovered that jeans are, in fact, not comfortable. Putting on my Spier chinos the day after I've worn jeans is like a glorious release from suffering.

Writing this out makes me question my life decisions...

I gave up on 100% cotton denim jeans years ago for anything other than manual labor because I just don't find them to be comfortable. I still wear 5-pockets/jeans quite a bit, but with soft, stretchy fabric that would make hardcore denim guys puke.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave up on 100% cotton denim jeans years ago for anything other than manual labor because I just don't find them to be comfortable. I still wear 5-pockets/jeans quite a bit, but with soft, stretchy fabric that would make hardcore denim guys puke.

Yep. Wrangler 13MWZ's have always been my go-to, but recently my office/"casual Friday" jean has been Wrangler Retro Slims with 1% spandex. Actually pretty darn comfortable.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly shitpost, as per uuuuusssh lol. Completely overgeneralized nonsense. I do, however, appreciate that you personally have no practical need/use for heavier SCs.

Bummer. Where do you feel the change most acutely? Snugger than preferred on the bicep/tricep area? Or does it restrict at the chest/shoulders?

As an aside, are these pre-orders a micro drop of sorts, with more stock incoming...or is this the whole package? If so, missed out on the Donegal, which would be le sad.
Chest/shoulders. I'd like to say biceps/triceps as well, but I know for a fact that Spier increased the sleeve head, so it can't be eventhough it feels like it. With all this being said it could be that I just received a jacket on the snugger of things while still within acceptable variance.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Wrangler 13MWZ's have always been my go-to, but recently my office/"casual Friday" jean has been Wrangler Retro Slims with 1% spandex. Actually pretty darn comfortable.
Total opposite ends of the spectrum lol. I have a pair of 20oz Flat Heads. Gorgeous, but they are a ***** and a half to wear.
Chest/shoulders. I'd like to say biceps/triceps as well, but I know for a fact that Spier increased the sleeve head, so it can't be eventhough it feels like it. With all this being said it could be that I just received a jacket on the snugger of things while still within acceptable variance.
Interesting. Will be curious to see any other experiences listed here as we get into the fall...

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I had to shorten the sleeves on my recent MTM commission and agree that if you get close enough/ in the ballpark, minor alterations to sleeve length (when done on both sleeves mind you) aren't that noticeable. At least to me. Not that I really care too much to have functioning sleeves in the first place, but thought why not when going MTM.

With that being said, I have found a jacket's sleeve length to be notoriously hard to get down. I thought that this would be a fairly straightforward measurement, but oddly enough (even with a trial/muslin fitting), I have been surprised with needing an adjustment in the final jacket. I assume this has to do with how different fabrics sit, sometimes making the mistake of measuring against a shirt that doesn't have my ideal measurements, factory tolerance, etc. Makes you wonder how more complex measurements can skew when tweaking fabrics, design details.

I am facing that same issue. I just ordered a MTO with functioning cuff cause why not, it's a MTO. I think I am in the ballpark for sure in the sleeve length. When you had your sleeves altered with function cuffs, were you happy with how they came out (not looking wonky, could not tell they were altered.)

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these are the only sport coats for the season or do they usually post them in multiple drops?
I understand that there will be more sport coats. They do things in multiple drops every season, but this season the drops seem to be trickling out more piece-meal than in the past.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A trick I like to do is go up a size or two on some jeans, wash them 4-5x, chuck them in the dryer 4-5x.

Then they get comfortable, and then I get them tailored from there.

sentry

Reaction score
1631907456637.png

some A Moon sportcoats are up

JayDee90

Reaction score
I am facing that same issue. I just ordered a MTO with functioning cuff cause why not, it's a MTO. I think I am in the ballpark for sure in the sleeve length. When you had your sleeves altered with function cuffs, were you happy with how they came out (not looking wonky, could not tell they were altered.)
No issues for me but as mentioned the adjustment was nearly identical on both sleeves. Did it in-house at S&M.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads