• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean the green corduroy? Have you zoomed in on the pics of it? The wide wale looks really awful. I can see it working well for some 70s cosplaying, though. That green moleskin is so much nicer.

I think it looks rad for a sartorial look.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tie! Drake’s, FTW.
Great eye, mate. Love the tie myself.

On another note, that dark brown hopsack SC is a great. Rick talked about the possibility of getting matching trousers MTO. Can't seem to find the product code in the MTO section though. Would definitely grab a pair to make a full suit if possible.

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I do have strong interest in this field jacket
IMG_0219.jpeg

My sport jacket size is between 36 and 38 in contemporary fit. The sleeve is always too long for me and I have to shorten the sleeves. For this Field jacket, should I take size S or M? Wrote Email to service box and no feedback so far. Thanks a lot!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear friends,

I do have strong interest in this field jacket View attachment 1670387
My sport jacket size is between 36 and 38 in contemporary fit. The sleeve is always too long for me and I have to shorten the sleeves. For this Field jacket, should I take size S or M? Wrote Email to service box and no feedback so far. Thanks a lot!
I wear a 36 Slim and took an XS last year. I would probably go Small if you’re in between, but these have plenty of room in the jacket

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sportcoat really only works as outerwear if you're very careful about what you wear it with, though. It needs to be cohesive and appropriately formal, or you risk ending up in that awkward middle ground that just looks a bit haphazard and off.

Fashion brands have made enough sportjackets with thick outerwear fabrics that the public won't even know the sportcoats are supposed to be formal. In addition different regions have differing opinions on what is formal. A very casual pure linen sportjacket with patchpockets can even be suitable for the groom or a "blacktie" event in some areas.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 36 Slim and took an XS last year. I would probably go Small if you’re in between, but these have plenty of room in the jacket

He uses 38 so definitely Small.

Imperatores

Reaction score
Fashion brands have made enough sportjackets with thick outerwear fabrics that the public won't even know the sportcoats are supposed to be formal. In addition different regions have differing opinions on what is formal. A very casual pure linen sportjacket with patchpockets can even be suitable for the groom or a "blacktie" event in some areas.

I'm not sure if you're just contradicting yourself here, or if it's meant as a disparaging comment on the general publics understanding of formality. They wont even know that a sportcoat leans more formal, and yet a linen sportcoat is simultaneously formal enough for weddings or black tie? In my experience, the unwashed masses views any kind of jacket/sportcoat as super formal and practically on the same level as a full suit. Maybe it's different in your area, but even an OCBD and chinos places you firmly in "dressed up" territory around here.

Dear friends,

I do have strong interest in this field jacket

I wear 38 slim and still take XS in the field jackets. If you look at the size chart you'll see why. A 38 slim has a 104 cm chest, a 92 cm waist and 45,5 cm shoulders. A field jacket in size XS has a 106,4 cm chest, a 96 cm waist and 46,3 cm shoulders.

I don't really understand why the field jacket sizes are labelled the way they are. Surely most guys would be swimming in them if they follow the size tag without looking at measurements. In my case I have plenty of room in a XS, and can easily fit a chunky cable knit sweater or even a cable knit layered over a thick OCBD underneath. The field jacket in size S is actually bigger through the chest and waist than a size 38 polo coat or double breasted overcoat, with significantly wider shoulders as well. I would expect a size S field jacket to be a very relaxed fit on you, while M would be comically large. XS is probably your best bet if you don't want it looking a bit slouchy. The only potential issue is the jacket length, depending on how tall you are. The field jackets run a tad short.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're just contradicting yourself here, or if it's meant as a disparaging comment on the general publics understanding of formality. They wont even know that a sportcoat leans more formal, and yet a linen sportcoat is simultaneously formal enough for weddings or black tie? In my experience, the unwashed masses views any kind of jacket/sportcoat as super formal and practically on the same level as a full suit. Maybe it's different in your area, but even an OCBD and chinos places you firmly in "dressed up" territory around here.
This I agree with, I go out with a simple Blue OCBD, Khaki Chinos, and some Chukka’s and people ask why I am so dressed up. Yet, I would just be going for groceries. It just looks and feels much better to be presentable going out for me, vs the now normal, sweats and a t shirt.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any news regarding suit drops? Hoping for navy, mid grey and charcoal. Preferably in a 340 gms weight. Please, Rick. You can do it.

EDIT: Navy flannel suit (separates possible) and GMTO gray Fox flannel suit incoming soon according to Rick.
EDIT 2: Matching torusers to the dark brown hopsack SC available as well, but might not be suitable for a trouser from what I understand due to the loose weave.

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
I largely agree, but it depends on what you mean by "rough woolly". My favorite jacket is a navy tweed from Loro Piana's Sopra Visso line of fabrics. Much lighter and softer than the traditional British tweeds, but still a bit rougher than a hopsack or flannel. I've found it to be exceptionally versatile and comfortable. Almost more so than a navy hopsack.

A sportcoat really only works as outerwear if you're very careful about what you wear it with, though. It needs to be cohesive and appropriately formal, or you risk ending up in that awkward middle ground that just looks a bit haphazard and off.

I came very close to buying that Poszetka jacket a while ago as well, but the measurements doesn't look like they'll fit me as well as the S&M field jacket. I wish S&M offered the Moon navy tweed in the field jacket cut as well, but I already have too many navy jackets and coats as it is.
I am 6'1", 167 pounds and the size 50 poszetka fits perfectly.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a MTO suit (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---gray-glen-check-865205-1-mto-s) I had made with the higher armhole. @dapperclassic mentioned that the change (1 cm) was unnoticeable. For me, it's noticeable. I guess it depends on your build. I have large overarms from hitting the gym years ago. If you're borderline between sizes like me or if you're an athletic build, you might feel the change in terms of fit. Not to restricting, but I can feel the change. This is not a knock on Spier though, as, as I said earlier, I have large overarms/biceps/shoulders.

Last edited:

milktoast

Reaction score
This I agree with, I go out with a simple Blue OCBD, Khaki Chinos, and some Chukka’s and people ask why I am so dressed up. Yet, I would just be going for groceries. It just looks and feels much better to be presentable going out for me, vs the now normal, sweats and a t shirt.
That outfit definitely leans more formal than most folks these days, so I understand why you’d get those comments. Despite my S&M heavy wardrobe, I’m still not the type that shows up everywhere with chinos and an OCBD. As much as I’d like to, I still love the comfort of sneakers and jeans. One day I’ll grow up.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great eye, mate. Love the tie myself.

On another note, that dark brown hopsack SC is a great. Rick talked about the possibility of getting matching trousers MTO. Can't seem to find the product code in the MTO section though. Would definitely grab a pair to make a full suit if possible.

Yup. I’ve gone down the Drake’s foulard rabbit hole hard. That brown hopsack is a steal. Probably the sleeper garment of the F/W drop. But with this unpredictable drop, who knows! Might be more sleepers on the way. Oh, and that MTO suit you just got, the fabric looks dope! I definitely slept on that pattern. I’m assuming you got it done up in Neo. We need fit pics good sir.

Scarlatti

Reaction score
Just received a MTO suit (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/vbc---gray-glen-check-865205-1-mto-s) I had made with the higher armhole. @dapperclassic mentioned that the change (1 cm) was unnoticeable. For me, it's noticeable. I guess it depends on your build. I have large overarms from hitting the gym years ago. If you're borderline between sizes like me or if you're an athletic build, you might feel the change in terms of fit. Not to restricting, but I can feel the change. This is not a knock on Spier though, as, as I said earlier, I have large overarms/biceps/shoulders.

Might be a dumb question, but where can I request a higher armhole for a jacket? It doesn't seem to be on their web form.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics