• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy this absolute chaos and the feeling of not knowing what will drop next.

I know classic menswear is not streetwear with hypebeast drops, but it's fun.

Personally I like to keep a "Want to buy" list, and a "I want this, but don't really need it at all" list.

For me, the navy shawl collar cardigan has been on that list for a year, so I copped that and I'm good for F/W.
I agree with this. I am wanting a lightweight jacket, so probably the Chore Coat, but also want a versatile FW Sport Coat. Have had a Harris Tweed SC on my list since I missed the previous ones 2 years ago

Imperatores

Reaction score
I agree with this. I am wanting a lightweight jacket, so probably the Chore Coat, but also want a versatile FW Sport Coat. Have had a Harris Tweed SC on my list since I missed the previous ones 2 years ago

Do you really want Harris tweed for a versatile FW sportcoat, though? Their versatility is rather limited by how heavy they are. I would go for something lighter and softer personally. That gray donegal from di Pray caught my eye, but the exact fabric weight is missing. I'm curious about the chore coats and the waxed canvas jacket as well. Now that my staple brown tweed is covered, I'm open to more fun statement patterns and colors for my casual jackets.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long sleeve spread collar pique knit. Abraham Moon brown houndstooth.

CCF678CC-5730-4471-BED4-F06097298059.jpeg

8C0DFB81-85B1-488D-84C1-13EBC11EFA17.jpeg

ACF8AA75-68D8-427E-BA3A-B236181B54AF.jpeg

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you really want Harris tweed for a versatile FW sportcoat, though? Their versatility is rather limited by how heavy they are. I would go for something lighter and softer personally. That gray donegal from di Pray caught my eye, but the exact fabric weight is missing. I'm curious about the chore coats and the waxed canvas jacket as well. Now that my staple brown tweed is covered, I'm open to more fun statement patterns and colors for my casual jackets.
Well, yes, the Harris Tweed probably isn't the most versatile option, but I just love Harris Tweed. I have a balmacaan I thrifted and it is great. The Brown Hopsack looks tempting, but I just would like a slight pattern to a sport coat, leave the solid to the Navy Hopsack.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't worn any of my heavy and rougher sportjackets for... ever. I got maybe 7 of them and they never go out even once so they're up for sale. If we need a jacket for sporting activities there are lighter but warmer jackets out there. If we want luxury the are plenty at similar cost or less. In the end rough woolly sportjackets are useless.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't worn any of my heavy and rougher sportjackets for... ever. I got maybe 7 of them and they never go out even once so they're up for sale. If we need a jacket for sporting activities there are lighter but warmer jackets out there. If we want luxury the are plenty at similar cost or less. In the end rough woolly sportjackets are useless.
Well you do live in a temperate, warm climate, so, I don’t see why you would purchase one of them anyways. When you live in Canada and use them as a nicer looking jacket, they make practical sense

ptfly

Reaction score
I grabbed the dark brown herringbone field jacket. I was hoping for either a dark brown herringbone or a dark brown donegal, and was getting a bit worried for a while there lol. I've been on the hunt for a nice brown field jacket that fits me properly and doesn't cost a small fortune for at least a couple of years now.
I did the same. The blue tweed was nice but I covered that with a Poszetka a couple of seasons ago.
The dark brown hopsack had me until I saw it was Neo. I have a few and just prefer the regular cut/lapel.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourite SCs are the ones that look like tweed, but are actually some combination of wool/silk/linen/cashmere. They drape very nicely, shed wrinkles, but are breathable. I live in a cold climate, but run pretty hot.

I can actually see myself wearing the "summer tweed" options year-round while inside.

I did paradoxically order the shawl cardigan too, but I can wear a t-shirt underneath if it gets too hot. (Pretty shoddy "practical" justification, sometimes you just want some cool **** you know?

Imperatores

Reaction score

I largely agree, but it depends on what you mean by "rough woolly". My favorite jacket is a navy tweed from Loro Piana's Sopra Visso line of fabrics. Much lighter and softer than the traditional British tweeds, but still a bit rougher than a hopsack or flannel. I've found it to be exceptionally versatile and comfortable. Almost more so than a navy hopsack.

Well you do live in a temperate, warm climate, so, I don’t see why you would purchase one of them anyways. When you live in Canada and use them as a nicer looking jacket, they make practical sense

A sportcoat really only works as outerwear if you're very careful about what you wear it with, though. It needs to be cohesive and appropriately formal, or you risk ending up in that awkward middle ground that just looks a bit haphazard and off.

I did the same. The blue tweed was nice but I covered that with a Poszetka a couple of seasons ago.
The dark brown hopsack had me until I saw it was Neo. I have a few and just prefer the regular cut/lapel.

I came very close to buying that Poszetka jacket a while ago as well, but the measurements doesn't look like they'll fit me as well as the S&M field jacket. I wish S&M offered the Moon navy tweed in the field jacket cut as well, but I already have too many navy jackets and coats as it is.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate corduroy. Absolutely detest it. But the new green field jacket... Tempting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics